jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist

Which is it - ski field or resort?

Technically, what do you call it? A ski field or a resort or doesn't it matter?

And if anyone mentions tomatoes...

Edit: yes I know this is a little on the weak side - I'm doing some writing and need perspective. Everything looks wrong in my new crayons...
    Last edited by jerr; 05-20-2009 at 08:14 PM.
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

Well here in America, we say "Ski area" or "Ski resort." "Ski resort" is not something you can really use for most of the North-East. They've definitely built up the base areas and amenities and such, but say, my former haunt is so small, it's an "area."
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

in nz, ski fields/club fields are mostly those like craigieburn, broken river, and temple basin, where there is limited amenities/staff/chairlifts. A ski resort, generally has too many amenities. Mt. Hutt or the Queenstown mountains are closer to being resorts, but compared to north american or european standards they are still small time.

surely resort implies being able to stay on-hill, in a nice hotel, with a spa.

otherwise its just a ski area.

I'm just interested in what you guys call it in the Northern hem. I'm pretty full-bottle on what we call it where I live.

So no such thing as a 'ski field' in the North America?
    Last edited by jerr; 05-21-2009 at 01:46 AM.

N41'25,71 W70'40,71 or my mobile ski chalet
    it depends on whether you go to ski the mountain or stay at the resort. For example Big Sky is a great ski area. I don't know about the resort it looks good but I always stay down the road in the cheapest place i can find. People I know that stay at the resort tell me that its nice. So if someone told me they had a great week the time they stayed at Snowbird. I might ask how it compared to other resorts they liked and did they get to other ski areas around SLC. So ski resort in my mind refers to amenities + the mountain what a reservation or in some cases a season pass will get you. And the term ski area refers more to the mountain and what a lift ticket will get you.

bob's your uncle
    can't spell don't care.

advres Guest
    Ski area, ski resort, ski hill. That's pretty much it here. I wouldn't want to ski in a field.

I'm with Jeer, a ski field doesen't sound like it would be to fun. A field implies it is a big flat open area and god knows you'll never find me skiing a big flat open area. If you are skiing the mid-west where run's are 2 seconds long, or even some east coast resorts where it is more of a hill then a mountain then ski field might apply. You have any other wierd NZ terms for things were refer differently to here in the states? Like do you call you ski boots your mates?

Colorado season clips 10-11, best season ever!

G.N.A.R the movie, complete movie. Watch this!
    http://unofficialnetworks.com/gnar/

Vail best day ever 18inches

Shane McConkey is the shit! First chair?

Right I'm on it now. Thanks very much.

Bert - Lots but I can't think of a single one. Oh wait, cops don't wear guns over here. That'll freak you out a bit.