Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best way to move 20 yards of dirt ?

I have to move a crazy amount of dirt around 20 yards of dirt. Ideally I would like to move it in 1-2 days. The bummer of the project is all be moving it solo. No heavy equipment since I have to move it over a septic tank. The dirt will have to be moved about 100-150 feet then raked out.

Any ideas? I looked into a mini skid steer but due to it's high cost if I can avoid renting it but if I have too I can.

just rent it, you'll be glad you did.

do you have 10 friends with shovels and wheelbarrows
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Hugh Conway Guest
    Hire my neighbors golden retreiver

Do you know anyone in demolition? I think you could dig a few strategic holes, and fill 'em with explosives, and you could make your life alot easier.

That or just dump some gas on it or something, I don't know.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

if you have never driven one of those, you can do some damage and wont get perfet finish results. What you wlll be a ble to do is move your pile around enough to hand grade it.
    I just did 30yds loam, but was lucky enough to have an experienced kid to drive the skid.
    It is worth the money.
    If you know no one, you may want to call a landscape co and ask how much to bring their own skid and spread 20yds loam? If you rent the bobcat, rent the trailer, and then ask a co for a driver it may cost you even more.

I paid $200for a skid and $60 for a trailer for one day. Plus I lucked out on a cheap driver.

Before he even picked up a hand rake the loam was smooth as glass. Kid had skllz
    Last edited by Core Shot; 05-20-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    . . .

150 feet?

You guys stating the necessity of a skid steer are fucking pussies.

Get a friggen wheelbarrow and some shovels.

I move several times that amount every year.

2 guys could easily do that in a day.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I've filled a 12 yard dumpster with clay from the backyard in a weekend with a wheelbarrow. Not as far but had a vert climb of about 10 feet from backyard to front. It was a good work out but didn't kill me. I'm probably old enough to be your father so..... yes grab a shovel.

Rip we've thought about that but we have no Mexicans outside our Home Depot otherwise we would probally go that route.

Nick nope solo for almost the entire 20 yards solo no 10 friends with 10 shovels and wheelbarrows.

Hugh I already have a Useless Retriever. Great companions but she doesn't show the digging skillz our last one showed.

Core shot I was thinking one of these

I would be very leary of driving a full size loaded Bobcat over a septic tank that is probally 30+ years old. The property has 2 levels so I would just be dumping down a shoot to the main level then maybe building a ramp to get the steer down the stairs to the second level.

Doug How long did it take you to move that much dirt?

kidwoo I'm on the fence between machine vs grunt work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post

Core shot I was thinking one of these

Wow. that is freaking aweosomo
    I had no idea that existed. Remote control mini bobcat.
    That would totally make the job easy.
    You might also be able to drive that up a ramp into a pickup truck.
    what do they weigh?

Core

They are pretty sweet. They move around 4.5 mph and they weigh in around 2,000 lbs empty. The smallest Bobcat comes in at 2,795 lbs.

Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Day laborers.

I second the explosives idea. Do you need to use the dirt, or just get rid of it?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Lay some railroad ties over the tank and run the skidsteer.

Doug How long did it take you to move that much dirt?
    It took most of the weekend as I had only wanted to keep the bin for the shortest time so worked bag off.

Is the dirt in a pile and just has to moved 150ft? Now is this clay? or loam or some other dirt?

If its loam or fairly low density stuff that is easy to shovel then do it manually. I've had to move dump truck load of loam mixture 150ft and it was pretty easy to do in a weekend.

Telenater, myself and two others smashed and moved 10 cy of concrete last weekend in 3 hours.

Buy a bunch of beers and call a couple favors in Nancy. 5 cy per person isn't that much.

Ok, to hell with your septic tank. Get one of these and do it in one pass

Last edited by DJSapp; 05-20-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Bwa that's some funny shit.

Doug most likely it's going to be fill dirt which is going to be yellow sandy shit that might have god knows what in it. Were getting a good price on it 130 delivered for 15-20 yards depending on how much he can cram in the truck. Not sure on the weight vs top soil or something else that would be light and fluffy.

DJ everyone is either gone or may or might not be there. Plus I hate calling in favors always have hated or owe anything or anyone. I have never moved more then a yard or two so I wasn't even sure if it was fesible for someone to do it in 1-2 days solo without killing themselves. So I turned to the maggot collective to see what they say. Also WTF is that piece of equipment?

I think this settles it.

I mentioned this thread to my wife last night. Moving dirt 150 ft , wheelbarrow or skidsteer

Her- how much?
    Me- 20 yards
    her- he can do that in two days, I've done 10 years myself

now that 10 yards was some loam/manure triple mix stuff probably

make sure have good wheelbarrow with a good wheel that doesn't deflate or that you don't have to pump up after 5 loads

Bwa that's some funny shit.

Doug most likely it's going to be fill dirt which is going to be yellow sandy shit that might have god knows what in it. Were getting a good price on it 130 delivered for 15-20 yards depending on how much he can cram in the truck. Not sure on the weight vs top soil or something else that would be light and fluffy.

DJ everyone is either gone or may or might not be there. Plus I hate calling in favors always have hated or owe anything or anyone. I have never moved more then a yard or two so I wasn't even sure if it was fesible for someone to do it in 1-2 days solo without killing themselves. So I turned to the maggot collective to see what they say. Also WTF is that piece of equipment?
    I missed the part where this is an import job. Moving 20 cy from a stockpile is much faster and easier than digging 20 cy and moving it. You won't have a problem. As far as weight, compacted dirt is 120-125 lb/cuft, fluffy dirt is 115-120, so you won't feel that much difference per load. Get a big two wheel wheelbarrow (6 cuft) and you'll be done in 90 trips, or if you can find a rubber track mounted bobcat with a loader bucket, you'll be fine going over your septic tank with the lower ground pressure (~5 psi). For reference, walking you're putting down about 10 psi.

This is the droid you're looking for:

http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/product_lines/track/t140

And as far as the equipment, that is a CAT 623 Scraper. The belly drops down and cuts into the ground, the paddles heap the dirt into the belly and it moves along. Capacity 23 cy.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.