Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    land of the free
    Posts
    7,122

    FREE CARS for poor people - includes maint & AAA insurance

    MA is using stimulus money to revive and expand a program that gives free cars to folks on welfare that think they might get a job if only they had a car. They keep the car even if they don't keep the job.


    http://bostonherald.com/news/regiona...icleid=1170630

    Gov. Deval Patrick’s free wheels for welfare recipients program is revving up despite the stalled economy, as the keys to donated cars loaded with state-funded insurance, repairs and even AAA membership are handed out to get them to work.

    But the program - fueled by a funding boost despite the state’s fiscal crash - allows those who end up back on welfare to keep the cars anyway.

    “It’s mind-boggling. You’ve got people out there saying, ‘I just lost my job. Hey, can I get a free car, too?’ ” said House Minority Leader Brad Jones (R-North Reading).


    The Patrick administration decided last month to funnel an additional $30,000 to the nearly $400,000 annual car ownership program.

    The program, which is provided by the State Department of Transitional Assistance, gives out about 65 cars a year, said DTA Commissioner Julia Kehoe.

    The state pays for the car’s insurance, inspection, excise tax, title, registration, repairs and a AAA membership for one year at a total cost of roughly $6,000 per car.

    But Kehoe admitted about 20 percent of those who received a car ended up back on welfare, and while they lose the insurance and other benefits, they don’t have to return the car.

    “Given the state’s fiscal condition, paying for AAA and auto inspection costs is outrageous,” said Senate Minority Leader Richard Tisei (R-Wakefield). “There are so many families out there trying to deal with layoffs and pay cuts. You have to wonder what the state’s priorities are at this point.”

    Applicants for cars must have a job or prove they could get one if they had the car in order to qualify.
    "Fakers are Maggots" - T. Hall, 2011
    heh
    only a fake Rasta could make a claim like that

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,028
    If this isn't the most ridiculous idea I've heard in a long while. Are they loaning the car and requiring re payment (once a person establishes their financial stability) to fund other cars or is this just a hand out ??

    This program, if true is exactly the type of liberal policy that people on the conservative (SEE: fiscal responsibility) side of the spectrum, require rolls and rolls of duct tape firmly wrapped around their heads to contain the explosion caused by people giving other peoples money away because THEY think it's the right thing to do.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Impossible to knowl--I use an iPhone
    Posts
    8,484
    It's an outrage. Diverting money from corporate welfare programs and oil companies to help poor people. Those opportunistic bitches--living the good welfare life on our dime. Fuck 'em.
    [quote][//quote]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    land of the free
    Posts
    7,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    It's an outrage. Diverting money from corporate welfare programs and oil companies to help poor people. Those opportunistic bitches--living the good welfare life on our dime. Fuck 'em.
    Did you sign up for a car, Douchebaggy?
    I bet you qualify.
    If not, then you really should volunteer to send extra tax money to the government this year.
    Paying Taxes is fun!
    And its you duty to pay more if you actually work.
    "Fakers are Maggots" - T. Hall, 2011
    heh
    only a fake Rasta could make a claim like that

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    It's an outrage. Diverting money from corporate welfare programs and oil companies to help poor people. Those opportunistic bitches--living the good welfare life on our dime. Fuck 'em.
    Fucking cry me a river of porkulous spending !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,237
    I am not going to comment on this program in particular since I have no knowledge of it outside of this thread. I will say that there are poor people who lose jobs when there car goes caput and they can't afford another. There are others who just can't get to jobs/interviews/training/whatever. The cost of car ownership can be rather ridiculously large and many, many family breadwinners work a minimum wage job. Just saying. Also, I pay taxes in MA...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    land of the free
    Posts
    7,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I am not going to comment on this program in particular since I have no knowledge of it outside of this thread. I will say that there are poor people who lose jobs when there car goes caput and they can't afford another. There are others who just can't get to jobs/interviews/training/whatever. The cost of car ownership can be rather ridiculously large and many, many family breadwinners work a minimum wage job. Just saying. Also, I pay taxes in MA...
    ^^^^ that is what PRIVATE CHARITIES are for.
    The problem with handouts by the govt is the waste and fraud inherent therein.
    One of the agencies that provides cars for the MA program is a private charity, and i am okay with that, and think it is a great idea.
    But for public money, its a crock.

    http://www.goodnewsgarage.org/

    I am all for the above private charity.
    "Fakers are Maggots" - T. Hall, 2011
    heh
    only a fake Rasta could make a claim like that

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Impossible to knowl--I use an iPhone
    Posts
    8,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Did you sign up for a car, Douchebaggy?
    I bet you qualify.
    If not, then you really should volunteer to send extra tax money to the government this year.
    Paying Taxes is fun!
    And its you duty to pay more if you actually work.
    With dipshits such as yourself toeing the party line and making nonsensical arguments, it's no wonder the Republicans are in such abject shape these days...but it's good for the country.
    [quote][//quote]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Impossible to knowl--I use an iPhone
    Posts
    8,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    ^^^^ that is what PRIVATE CHARITIES are for.
    The problem with handouts by the govt is the waste and fraud inherent therein.
    One of the agencies that provides cars for the MA program is a private charity, and i am okay with that, and think it is a great idea.
    But for public money, its a crock.

    http://www.goodnewsgarage.org/

    I am all for the above private charity.
    Why must you post when you don't know what fuck you're talking about? This fairy tale about private charity taking care of everything--does anyone really believe it, or is it a pretext for being anti-government? The naivete is touching, in a way, but also pathetic.
    [quote][//quote]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,028
    We have spent hundreds of billions/trillions in the war on poverty and it hasn't gotten any better, in fact it's gotten worse. Welfare and poverty have become institutionalized. Now we're giving cars away ??

    Something must be out there to make people take charge of their own lives and fend for themselves. This program smacks of the worst type of gov't handouts. And if they lose their job they keep the car ???? WTF is that ?? Is that really what we want to do ?? I'm sure they won't be new cars and will be basic transportation, and will be abused and abandoned, stolen and traded for drugs and sold for money to buy drugs.

    A well meaning program that will bloat, fail and cause more problems than it solves for the majority of recipients. The more you give to people the less incentive they have to care for themselves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by OSECS; 05-10-2009 at 07:23 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    In the snow
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Why must you post when you don't know what fuck you're talking about? This fairy tale about private charity taking care of everything--does anyone really believe it, or is it a pretext for being anti-government? The naivete is touching, in a way, but also pathetic.
    Dex,

    Have you ever taken a basic arithmetic class? I know being a teacher you're supposedly made it through at least high school math but given the pretense of your arguments I thank my life force my kids will never frequent the school of drooling Ritalin filled kids you must pretend to educate.

    Have you bothered to check out the state budgets of the states espousing these moronic policies? Take a quick poll of the states falling the furthest and fastest, California, New Jersey, Michigan, New York, Massachusetts, Arizona, Delaware.

    No one here is arguing in favor of corporate bailouts, we're arguing in favor of personal responsibility.


    Just in case you're interested in where new businesses aren't starting? check the above list.

    You know what's funny, all of these kooks who think its foolish to have faith in God, but still believe in Obama's hope and Change


    Edit to Add: Good thing Obama gave you that extra $20/week you've been celebrating. Now you can give it to your state democrats in new taxes. Fucking imbecile
    Last edited by whatcomridaz; 05-10-2009 at 07:51 PM.
    does anyone still enjoy riding inbounds?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    ^^^^ that is what PRIVATE CHARITIES are for.
    The problem with handouts by the govt is the waste and fraud inherent therein.
    One of the agencies that provides cars for the MA program is a private charity, and i am okay with that, and think it is a great idea.
    But for public money, its a crock.

    http://www.goodnewsgarage.org/

    I am all for the above private charity.
    For one thing, this is a TINY program. 65 cars a year to people who can prove that they need a car for their job? Whine on elsewhere.

    Show me the private charity that is stepping up to fund a college education for every person who can't afford one? I got a charitable contribution to my education of $1,000. It was great. And you know who else chipped in? THE FEDERAL, FUCKING, GOVERNMENT. Yes that one, with all of it's flaws. To the tune of $32,000 in grant money and $25,000 in ultra-low-cost subsidized loans. And you know what? I pay on the loans and I pay my taxes with my J-O-B that I got with my EDUCATION funded in no insignificant part by THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. So yeah, it has plenty of problems. It can also step in to provide crucial services (such as transportation, or education) to those who cannot obtain such services through more common means in an extremely imperfect economy, thus helping them stay in the mainstream of working, taxpaying Americans.

    So really, fuck your "poor people are just lazy," "personal responsibility," "charities will take care of the disadvantaged" opinion. It is just not in sync with reality. Really, I'm glad you are not poor and have never needed the big, bad, wasteful government (state or federal) to step in and help you out. However, a lot of people do need the help and charities are not going to cut it. We are in the middle of a recession - look around you!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    ...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    Posts
    2,488
    You guys is Morans... let's review the article then do some math;

    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    ...http://bostonherald.com/news/regiona...icleid=1170630

    Gov. Deval Patrick’s free wheels for welfare recipients program is revving up despite the stalled economy, as the keys to donated cars loaded with state-funded insurance, repairs and even AAA membership are handed out to get them to work.

    But the program - fueled by a funding boost despite the state’s fiscal crash - allows those who end up back on welfare to keep the cars anyway.

    “It’s mind-boggling. You’ve got people out there saying, ‘I just lost my job. Hey, can I get a free car, too?’ ” said House Minority Leader Brad Jones (R-North Reading).


    The Patrick administration decided last month to funnel an additional $30,000 to the nearly $400,000 annual car ownership program.

    The program, which is provided by the State Department of Transitional Assistance, gives out about 65 cars a year, said DTA Commissioner Julia Kehoe.

    The state pays for the car’s insurance, inspection, excise tax, title, registration, repairs and a AAA membership for one year at a total cost of roughly $6,000 per car.

    But Kehoe admitted about 20 percent of those who received a car ended up back on welfare, and while they lose the insurance and other benefits, they don’t have to return the car.

    “Given the state’s fiscal condition, paying for AAA and auto inspection costs is outrageous,” said Senate Minority Leader Richard Tisei (R-Wakefield). “There are so many families out there trying to deal with layoffs and pay cuts. You have to wonder what the state’s priorities are at this point.”

    Applicants for cars must have a job or prove they could get one if they had the car in order to qualify.
    So, let's see... they re-gift a DONATED car with some extras like insurance and repairs which run about $6,000 each, and EIGHTY PERCENT END UP STAYING OFF WELFARE!!!

    Did you get that point? EIGHTY FUCKING PERCENT STAY OFF WELFARE for what appears to be a one time cost of $6,000 (based on the info in the article)


    I say they should give away lots more cars.

    (you guys IS morans)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    land of the free
    Posts
    7,122
    Quote Originally Posted by mocwvmit View Post
    You guys is Morans... let's review the article then do some math;



    So, let's see... they re-gift a DONATED car with some extras like insurance and repairs which run about $6,000 each, and EIGHTY PERCENT END UP STAYING OFF WELFARE!!!

    Did you get that point? EIGHTY FUCKING PERCENT STAY OFF WELFARE for what appears to be a one time cost of $6,000 (based on the info in the article)


    I say they should give away lots more cars.

    (you guys IS morans)
    wow. that may be your first intelligent post. Keep it up.
    But why can't they take the cars back if they dont keep working? Is that so mean?
    "Fakers are Maggots" - T. Hall, 2011
    heh
    only a fake Rasta could make a claim like that

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Impossible to knowl--I use an iPhone
    Posts
    8,484
    These people aren't interested in sense or facts--they want tea parties and Glen Beck! They want to call Obama a socialist! So what if the program might be effective and give people a way to provide for themselves--we're on an anti-government witch hunt here! Don't let facts and logic fuck that up.


    whatcoma, that's gotta be the most irrelevant post I've seen in awhile. What you posted about state budgets is so irrelevant as to be almost bizarre. I know what you're getting at, but I bet even you can figure out why it doesn't matter in this context. Learn to think and I'll respond to you--not sure why my math skills are at issue (they seem to be fine, thank you--if you can figure out why it's relevant feel free to test me) but your logic is shit. As usual.
    [quote][//quote]

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Impossible to knowl--I use an iPhone
    Posts
    8,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    wow. that may be your first intelligent post.
    How long must we wait for yours?
    [quote][//quote]

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    land of the free
    Posts
    7,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    TEA BAG ME BECAUSE I AM A GAY GRASS SKIING HOMO.
    no thanks.
    "Fakers are Maggots" - T. Hall, 2011
    heh
    only a fake Rasta could make a claim like that

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Impossible to knowl--I use an iPhone
    Posts
    8,484
    Hey, that was clever. Calling me gay--if we were in fifth grade I'd probably be pissed, you lipstick wearing queeny cum guzzler. You suck at this.
    [quote][//quote]

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    ...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    Posts
    2,488
    Ladies. Ladies! Let's keep it civil, shall we...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Bend, Washington
    Posts
    7,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    wow. that may be your first intelligent post. Keep it up.
    But why can't they take the cars back if they dont keep working? Is that so mean?
    It wouldn't be mean, but it would probably increase the cost of the program. I would assume that a cost / benefit analysis was done.

    OSECS, thanks for providing the knee jerk, racist, classist, response. Nice work getting your anti drug bullshit in there to.

    Tim, thanks for being intelligent.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,028
    Hey doughboy,

    I attempt to keep it clean and respect others opinions , even if I don't agree, but fuck you with the racist comment. This isn't a racist issue it's a handout issue.

    Welfare of this type has proven since enacted by Lyndon Johnson to fail. Giving people something they haven't worked for instills nothing but weakness.

    In theory it seems like a good idea, and that's the problem with so many well meaning liberal programs, they only work in theory, because they discount human nature.

    80% ?? who commissioned that survey ?? A one time $6,000 gift keeps them off welfare ?? why hasn't the trillions already spent on the same effort failed to bring those results ??

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Bend, Washington
    Posts
    7,861
    Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    Hey doughboy,

    I attempt to keep it clean and respect others opinions , even if I don't agree, but fuck you with the racist comment. This isn't a racist issue it's a handout issue.
    I apologize. I know you were not intentionally being racist. Your comments about the people in this program selling the car for drugs was fucking lame, though. Definitely classist, and I would be surprised if in your mind when you were typing that shit, that the people you were thinking of were white.

    Anyway. You are not paying attention to what is going on, and you are applying your opinions to the situation without reviewing the situation.

    Here is a scenario for you.

    A friend of mine has 3 kids. She just left her abusive husband about 6 months ago. She works 45 hours a week at a really difficult warehouse job, where she is paid 17 dollars an hour. Between rent, utilities, food, and other necessities she is left with nothing. The kids got no gifts this year for their birthdays or christmas, because there was no money. The credit card balances get worse every month, because really the pay doesn't cover necessities. Can you put yourself in her place? A 3, 6, and 10 year old to support. Should she have stayed with her husband, and come up with better ways to explain the bruises. Maybe she just shouldn't have had so many kids. Damn her.

    Reality is she applied for welfare. And she is now receiving money for food, and help with daycare. Finally, she isn't buried.

    If she lost her car, I don't know what she would do. She has to get the kids off to daycare and school in the morning, before going to work. Her work is in an industrial area, so no she couldn't move there. The way public transit works in the Puget Sound, she could take the bus to work, but what about the kids? Oh, and it would take 1 1/2 hours to get to work, so she would have to leave the house at 5.

    This program would save her ass.

    The funniest part about this is that single mothers make up the largest portion of the welfare rolls. Quite ironic considering all of the bullshit coming from the right about how charities would take care of all of the aborted babies, if they were able to live.

    So, you assholes spew this crap consistently about self responsibility, yada yada yada. Then spew a bunch of crap about how you would take care of the 1.5 million babies that were aborted last year, when you fight any government program that would actually assist the mothers of these kids.

    Osecs, how much money have you contributed to charities that take care of poor mothers?

    None?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    In the snow
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    How long must we wait for yours?
    No doubt, It was drunk pool party sunday at my house and I was pissed about cleaning up.

    After reading it, it's almost incoherent.
    does anyone still enjoy riding inbounds?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tahoe/SF
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    So, you assholes spew this crap consistently about self responsibility, yada yada yada. Then spew a bunch of crap about how you would take care of the 1.5 million babies that were aborted last year, when you fight any government program that would actually assist the mothers of these kids.
    None?
    First off let me say that I am not against abortion one bit but, just curious if you have forgotten about adoption agencies?

    Also the rest of your post is flawed when you criticize about adding opinion to the realm of the argument, while you bring up a personal story.
    Last edited by SkiNebraski; 05-11-2009 at 08:27 AM.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,028
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Osecs, how much money have you contributed to charities that take care of poor mothers?

    None?
    Our church funds several abused women programs as well as direct outreach to under priviledged families in our community. My wife supports and contributes time and money to battered womens programs. I contribute to these programs, and the money gets almost directly into the hands of these people through support, groceries, staples, assisted day care, rent sometimes. See, I'm not an uncaring heartless bastard. I recognize people get into trouble through no fault of their own. These people need our assistance, but the trouble is whenever you help out one group another takes advantage (and that number always grows)

    The program is well meaning. So are are the countless other programs that start out as well meaning that become abused. How is this one unique ??

    None of my comments about people selling the car for anything was lame, because that will happen with a portion of the recipients (SEE: food stamp program), surely not everyone, but fraud will invade any program giving free hand outs. Just how will the program be monitored to keep this type of abuse from entering this unique program ??

    Back to my original gripe. Letting someone keep the car free and clear with no financial stake or tie invites waste, fraud and abuse.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •