Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quality of North Face stuff nowadays?

What's happenin gang? I have an old North Face Kichatna jacket that I bought back in '97 or so. Most of the velcro on the jacket has fallen off, but most of the panels are in good shape. I'm concerned that if I send it in, they'll keep it and credit me for a new one. IF they do that, what kinda stuff is TNF making these days? I have a lot of memories in that jacket, but if the current stuff is good, I could be talked into giving it up. (all of this is assuming I'd be lucky enough to have them make an offer like that)

Last I really paid attention was a few years after I got mine and the quality seemed to be going downhill, but I'm assuming they are better again.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Thanks!
    Kansas - First Of The Rectangle States

Most of there top end gear is still pretty good i.e. technical gear. Their mass market stuff, like ski wear is not nearly as good.

Send it in, and if you don't get what you want, have them send it back.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Most of there top end gear is still pretty good i.e. technical gear. Their mass market stuff, like ski wear is not nearly as good.

Cool, thanks for the quick response. That's kinda the route I'm thinkin... I spent my weekend in Oregon and spent an afternoon at Timberline. Caught the climbin bug again and need to update the gear.

It seemed for a while that TNF was all about having crack dealers on pro form, but these days their Summit and Flight lines of stuff are pretty good.

But if it's just velcro and the jacket means a lot to you, I'd think about getting it repaired via a third party like Rainy Pass, because TNF is likely just to replace it.

^^^^^^^^^

That's what I would do. Try to get an estimate for putting on snaps instead of velcro again(unless you want to save weight). If you need some TNF jacket snaps, PM me. I have some saved from a delammed thrift store jacket...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    but these days their Summit and Flight lines of stuff are pretty good.
    Yep.

If you send it in and they give you credit, I'd look at some of their softshells. They make decent stuff. I'd rather take Patagucci, Arcteryx, or somebody like Westcomb or maybe Loki, but I'd definitely wear new TNF stuff if somebody gave it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Repairing that jacket doesn't make sense to me, if TNF is willing to give you a new one. 12 years of abuse and exposure to the elements has to have degraded the membrane and fabrics. Even if the new construction isn't as bomber as the old jacket, the materials will be new and more technologically advanced.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

Quote Originally Posted by Chowda View Post
    Repairing that jacket doesn't make sense to me, if TNF is willing to give you a new one. 12 years of abuse and exposure to the elements has to have degraded the membrane and fabrics. Even if the new construction isn't as bomber as the old jacket, the materials will be new and more technologically advanced.
    As much as I hate to admit it, this does make some good sense. Anyone have any experience with the current Mammatus, Heathen or Mountain Guide jackets? The Mammatus looks pretty good to me...

SCUTSKI - I'm with you on that, I would love an Arcteryx, but right now it's a bit out of my price range. If I don't end up getting an offer for anything from TNF, that's the route I'll most likely be heading.

My experience with TNF warranty department is not good. In the past, they have refused to repair or replace stuff, saying it's just normal wear and tear and sending stuff back months later in the same condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    SCUTSKI - I'm with you on that, I would love an Arcteryx, but right now it's a bit out of my price range. If I don't end up getting an offer for anything from TNF, that's the route I'll most likely be heading.
    It's *always* out of my pricerange too, but if you keep watching the Gear Swap here, and tramdock and steepandcheap... that brings it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

If you like the jacket you got You can glue velcro back on to shells ,fix rips with seam grip or aqua seal

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...=1#post2373139

I think the stuff TNF made in the US was good , now they make it allover the world which depending on if/how they did quality control may or may not be good ... just my impression is that the QC is not as good but I have no real proof
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-29-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Doesn't anybody on this forum have a goddam sewing machine?

my mom does but she is 1200 km's away ...thank god

and besides liquid ureathane will do a better job AND be water proof ... if you have stitch holes the water can leak thru the holes
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-29-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Doesn't anybody on this forum have a goddam sewing machine?
    I have a real nice HD sewing machine, but Overland Park KS seems a little far from Santa Fe for the OP to come over and borrow it.

Unless...are you asking to use it?

No, MS, I'm not asking to borrow your sewing machine. I recently replaced my old Viking with a nice walking foot Pfaff. I'm digging the new machine.

I was addled when I read Theodore's post about returning a 12 y.o. jacket because the velcro fell off, which could be fixed in 5 minutes with a sewing machine.

Must remember to use smilies more when I post. But I envy you that Pfaff - nice machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    As much as I hate to admit it, this does make some good sense. Anyone have any experience with the current Mammatus, Heathen or Mountain Guide jackets? The Mammatus looks pretty good to me...

The mountain guide had way too many useless knickknacks for my liking. If I want a bomber, waterproof, 3-layer gore-tex shell then I would get a Marmot Exum or an Arcteryx like someone else mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Cassidy View Post
    . . . bomber, waterproof, 3-layer gore-tex shell. . .
    oxymoron

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx...terproof_Shell

every gortex I ever owned wasn't water proof till this one ,I like it so much I would ALMOST pay list price for it

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    I was addled when I read Theodore's post about returning a 12 y.o. jacket because the velcro fell off, which could be fixed in 5 minutes with a sewing machine.
    Until you realize that the velcro that has come off is all down the front. It's not a single layer of fabric that needs to be sewn into. It will require pulling a few seams that I have no intent to cut.

I've sewn before. This is well beyond anything I would attempt.

Is the original jacket Gore Tex, and if so are there any fabric problems like delamination?

If so, then try and warranty it through them. Probably get better customer service and you'll get credit towards [u]any[/] Gore jacket made...

I bought (last years' model, I think) TNF Freethinker from MattF here before this ski season and used it all winter. I thought it would have some limitations hiking, as I am a husky fella and sweat a lot, but the venting worked great. It was also bombproof in a LOT of cold stormy resort days (had about 10 different days with high temps in the singel digits). Kinda heavy weight (compared to some MH stuff), but took trees and weather great for me for one years worth. It certainly has some years before it gets to your jackets' age, but that would be my 2c FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

echo those statements exactly. I invested in a freethinker a year and half ago, maybe two, at the time near the tip top of there line up. Couldn't be happier, the mass production shit, is just that kinda crap. For the price of some of the mass produced stuff, I much prefer my new flylow gear.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I've had bad luck with TNF Hyvent 2-layer pants and jackets- the fabric is weak, not very breathable, and its water repellency doesn't last long. Their Gore-tex stuff seems nice, but pricey.

I sent in my jacket that was ~10 years old last year, and they called me and asked if I wanted a credit since they didn't have that jacket in stock anymore. They sent me a check for $450.