Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Orleans Beta Needed

Never been....need maggot advice

I am taking the the little lady down to New Orleans for a few days as a graduation present for finishing her masters. We've never been, only have flights booked at this point, but I am thinking about staying in the French Quarter.

Open to suggestions on hotels, places to eat and drink and basically wander around with a buzz for 3 days.

Thanks,
    Sags

camellia grill, best greasey spoon ever/dinner ever. Hit it in the morning for breakfast or after a night out in uptown.

Other notables you kind of have to see include preservation hall, get a ticket for a show there pretty cheap and awesome, cafe du monde for an iced coffe and beneiges(sp?. Deanie's Seafood has the biggest pile of fried seafood I've ever seen. Christian's Restaurant is a nicer dinner with a unique atmosphere, you eat in an old cathedral, a little spendy but can be fun. I personally like partying off of St.Charles around the Tulane campus and uptown as opposed to the french quarter area but thats just me. Some people like the crazy boob, and shit show that is burbone street.

Anyway eat and drinks lots, and go listen to some live blues/jazz thats the best of what the city offers, and in my opinion does it better than aywhere in the world.

I have always been a fan of staying in the garden district. It is a a couple minute trolley ride down st. charles st. headed west from downtown. I have stayed at the Avenue Plaza hotel a few times. There was a roof deck with jacuzzi with nice views of the river. I haven't been in a few years, but before katrina I spent lots of time there with work. For a nice drink head to "The Columns" on the north side of st charles st. It is also a hotel but It was a real cool place for a drink on you way out for the night. A very old school mansion place with lots of open room. Also on the east of the quarter go to Port of Call for a burger and drinks in the afternoon. I highly recommend port of call the burgers are amazing and its always packed and a short walk from the quarter.http://www.portofcallneworleans.com/location.html
    From there go to Patty O's and down hurricanes and forget the rest of the day. Check out the east end of bourbon but beware of the transition to rainbow country. There are tons of old school dark as hell jazz clubs that are just the ticket for an evening of good music.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

don't forget to have Bananas Foster at Brennan's. Second beinget's at Cafe du Monde. Good jazz at restoration hall, and if Big Al Carson's playing at the Funky Parrot you gotta go. I'll leave it at that.
    Think I've stayed at the St Louis. Just stay someplace that has secure parking and leave the car all weekend. No reason to drive in New Orleans
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

I've been a couple times.

Here is what you don't want to miss:
    Cafe Du Mond - For classic beignets and a cup of traditional New Orleans coffee. Go here late night or early in the morning the line may look long but it moves fast, and it's worth it.

Central Grocery - They invented the Muffaleta sandwich here go get one to spilt with your girl and eat it in the back next to the tiny tv and get a coke out of the machine.

Any of the great restaurants that will be mentioned in this thread.

I've stayed at a couple of hotels but so far the best has been Hotel Monteleone. It's a block from Bourbon St and they have a great bar that spins around like a carousel.

Generally Bourbon St is a great shithole to get drunk on, but the other parts of the french quarter are pretty cool.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Haven't seen Mother's mentioned yet. Get a debris po' boy.

To elaborate on 2nd mate's comment, when you are walking down Burbon from Canal at night there will be two sets of bollards in the road to block traffic. This may have changed, but it used to be that after the second set of bollards things get pretty greg in a hurry.

Bourbon street smells like puke

we stayed in the penthouse here:

http://www.thelafayettehotel.com/

and it was WONDERFUL. Hotel staff super friendly- to the point where they fawned over us, and also dog friendly which was great because we had the woofer with us! Gorgeous room, thick robes, etc. I got it off hotels.com for a reasonably cheap rate, as well! Check what they're offering now- totally, totally worth it if you can swing it.

it's was more on the border of the french quarter than in the french quarter, but easy walk.

Red Beans & Rice at the Gumbo Shop

Get shitty on Mint Juleps, not Hurricanes, at Pat O'Brien's - stay in the Piano bar part.

See who's playing at Tipitina's while you're there and go to at least once. Doesn't matter who's playing or how famous they are - this place brings out the best in musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Ccard257 View Post
    Haven't seen Mother's mentioned yet. Get a debris po' boy.
    2nd this, holy shit best sandwhich ever

And call it a "DAY-Bree" - emphasis on the first syllable.

Stay at Lafitte's guesthouse if you want to really get into to NoLa mood.
    Eat at least 1 mufflatta

Catch a set with Big Al at the funky pirate

Enjoy-- I love that place.
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow

Oh, if you like raw seafood go here: http://www.acmeoyster.com/

When are you going? I just got back from Jazz Fest (it runs this past weekend, and this coming weekend) and it is an incredible experience. Amazing music, great food, and easy to sneak booze in.

Otherwise, just cruise down Frenchmen Street until you hear some good music, then follow it. The bars are so-so, but the music is what made keeps New Orleans famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Oh, if you like raw seafood go here: http://www.acmeoyster.com/
    2nd. Get a few hand grenades at tropical isle.

Along with all the classics you should try Dante's Kitchen. Lots of local fresh ingredients, daily menu changes, really really good. It's out past the Garden District but worth the drive/cab ride from the French Quarter.
    Last edited by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo; 04-28-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Look how maggots know all the good spots to go drinking
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Pascal's Manale - Their raw bar is better than Acme and the BBQ shrimp is incredible (wear the bib).

Jacques - Best restaurant in New Orleans IMO. No reservations, get there early as the wait is always huge. The owner can be entertaining and drinks like a fish. Hit the Maple Leaf a couple doors down afterwards (Papa Grows Funk plays there often and rocks).

Definitely a fun town with lots to do. My biggest memory is the food and the MUSIC. Great music everywhere. Great street musicians to listen to for a long time.

Watch out for people working tourists on the street. People will try to walk up to you, polish your shoes and demand $20. Just keep walking if people talk to you. This happened to several people I was with down there.
    washu feeze drive me to firenze?

Quote Originally Posted by gbarnum View Post

Watch out for people working tourists on the street. People will try to walk up to you, polish your shoes and demand $20. Just keep walking if people talk to you. This happened to several people I was with down there.
    Ditto. My roommate got his wallet swiped after a hobo grabbed my roommates ballsac area. Luckily he had already made it the entire night and didn't have much left after spending a bunch at scores.

Dinner at Tujagues. Have the brisket. It's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by CDubz View Post
    camellia grill, best greasey spoon ever/dinner ever. Hit it in the morning for breakfast or after a night out in uptown.
    That place rules! When I ordered warm apple pie they threw it down on the griddle on top of the bacon fat. It was a heart attack on a plate, but awesome.

Make sure to eat at least 2 Lucky Dogs a night.

For music, check out Offbeat Weekly online. Most shows in Nola start pretty late. One of my favorite venues is The Maple Leaf on Oak Street in the Carrollton district. Check out the Louisiana Music Factory on Decatur Street to see if there are any in-store appearances.

Eat right next door to the Maple Leaf at Jacques Imo's, a really fun, moderately priced restaurant. Monday night Jacques Imo + Maple Leaf = a perfect Crescent City night!

If you get a chance, check out Kermit Ruffins (he's a New Orleans legend) Every Thursday for the last 15 years Kermit Ruffins and the Barbecue Swingers have played a weekly show at Vaughan's bar in the Bywater district. With, naturally, great bbq.

Other favorite places of mine for music are the Funky Butt, Le Bon Temps Roule and Titpitina's.

One of my favorite lunches is a muffaletta from the Central Grocery http://www.roadfood.com/photos/339.jpg in the Quarter right near Jackson Square. Grab a couple of sandwiches (a 1/2 sandwich should be plenty for two!) an Abita beer or a bottle of juice and walk across Decatur Street to a bench on the banks of the river and watch the world float by. Perk up after lunch with a chicory cafe au lait and plate of beignets from Cafe du Monde, right down the block. (open 24/7)

Also back on Oak Street, Margaux's has a lunch buffet that I hear is the tits. Obviously Chowhound will have the lowdown on good eats, but don't be afraid to let your nose lead you. I've stumbled into some really great soul food at places you wouldn't imagine ever eating in!

Beside Offbeat, also give a listen online to WWOZ for a sense of what's new in town.

Also: http://www.nolafunguide.com/

My old college pal runs Flavor Paper at 4213 Chartres Street in the Quarter. Check it out... wild. http://www.flavorleague.com/

I enjoyed the glassblowing school on Magazine Street in the Warehouse District. http://www.neworleansglassworks.org/index.html

I also really dig visiting James Michalopoulos's gallery at 617 Bienville Street in the Quarter (between Chartres and Royal) I like his stuff a lot. And he makes rum. http://www.michalopoulos.com/

If you find yourself on Bourbon Street, stop in at Lafitte's. It's one of the oldest buildings in town, and supposedly one of Tennessee Williams' favored watering holes. Then please leave Bourbon Street with all due haste.

Have fun.
    Last edited by Pinner; 05-11-2009 at 09:39 PM.

The place d'armes hotel is super reasonable and really cool hotel right on the corner of jackson square in the french quarter

http://www.placedarmes.com/

Molly's on Decatur st. is right around the corner - cool bar.

Ray's Boom Boom Room had some good music when I was there.

R Bar on Royal St was cool too.

Bourbon st was lame, decatur and frenchman st were cool.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

If you can get into Cochon (restaurant), do the fucking thing.

Do it.

Do it.