Fruita a shitshow this weekend?

Been planning a Fruita trip with a couple of friends for awhile, one of whom has a second child on the way soon and could only get free this upcoming weekend (April 24). Just discovered that this weekend also happens to be Fat Tire Fest in Fruita.

So, am I correct in assuming that Fruita and everything around it is going to be a total shitshow this weekend? In particular, we'd be getting there sometime Friday evening (leaving from the Front Range early afternoon) - think that'll make our chances of getting a decent campsite slim to nil?

I thought maybe the Fest is centered in town and therefore Rabbit Valley, say, might not be overrun. But maybe that's daydreaming. Could also drive to Moab instead, though I think Moab really requires a 3-day weekend given the extra driving time.

Thoughts?
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

I think you'll have a pretty tough time getting a campsite at any of the usual spots Friday evening. If you don't need the ride in / ride out access of 18 road (or the accompanying facilities), you ought to be able to find camping thats not too far away (maybe something over towards the utah/CO border).

I was there last year during the fest, though not intentionally, we had other family shit that weekend in GJ. I road Tabeguache mostly to avoid the crowds and even that was more crowded than normal, but not too bad. It's not all bad, some of the events at the festival are fun and Intense had a demo van setup at Tabeguache all weekend which was nice.
    Last edited by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo; 04-20-2009 at 07:05 PM.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I'll present the uncool, unpopular viewpoint:

It is a mountain bike festival.

There will be lots of folks there who like to ride mountain bikes.

And there will be beer.

And parties.

And debauchery.

And great trails.

And demo bikes.

It might even be fun.

I know, I know. Uncool. Lame.

You gonna be there with the rig, A?
    I might be down that way.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

i would try one of the campgrounds to keep the noise down for the family peeps, all other options are going to be a bit nutty.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

I'm sure the festival will be a blast; my main concern is finding camping. Seems like, with the fest starting on Thursday and people probably arriving on Thursday and Friday, that our chances of getting a decent spot on Friday evening are pretty slim. I hate driving in circles for hours after dark, shining headlights into everyone's campsites, and ending up setting up a tent on the shoulder of the road because you can't find any spots. If we could get there mid-day Friday it'd be a different story, but that's not an option.

even arriving thursday mid day probably would not get you a spot this weekend. Last time out to fruita, we arrived thurs night on a non-event weekend early season and got the last spot at 18 mile.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

no hate on you as I don't even know you but...

you suck at the desert if you can't find a spot to camp

get a map and a 4 X 4 and figure it out

it is called an adventure for a reason

yes, town will be mobbed

[/wishing all the cool people didn't go to all the cool places]

I was in Rabbit Valley last weekend. All the psuedo developed sites were taken, including my favorite closest to the river. We took the right turn just before the campground and headed to the utah border. Most of the available spots there were taken too, but located a pretty good site just before getting to the tamarisk covered river access. Granted, there was a race out there (which had us stuck for two hours on Sunday trying to get out), but even the far reaches are getting pretty hammered- not just mtn. bikers but lots of moto use too.

I'd see if you could reserve a pay campground spot. Another option would be the north and west side of the highway from rabbit valley. The sites aren't as nice, but it looks pretty open for sites up on the bench before the Zion Curtain ride- which is the best loop out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    you suck at the desert if you can't find a spot to camp
    Heh, got me a new user title.

Ok, so i'm not too interested in hanging with the crowds in fruita or moab..... any other ideas for places to go this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by skiingalot1234 View Post
    Ok, so i'm not too interested in hanging with the crowds in fruita or moab..... any other ideas for places to go this weekend?
    Not sure where you are coming from but how about Saint George/Hurricane or Vernal?

Opps, sorry about that.... denver,colorado.....

A crowded day in Fruita is similar to a normal day on the front range.

All I'm saying is there are sooo many trails and sure, usually the place is EMPTY but it's not that bad even during the "crowded" season.

Only problem is finding a camp site but as mentioned earlier. 4x4+map=camp spot.

Free beer here:

Sunday's slopestyle comp will be super legit. http://grassroots-cycles.com/page.cfm?PageID=72

umm...yes..I live here, and so far...18 rd is full...try out one of the other roads heading north towardds the bookcliffs..camping spots galore...all the trails will be crowded, and full...good luck!