Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Nice, (and very frustrating that you break those 2 off), video on vimeo. Fun to watch.

Trip XX
    I'm skipping over a sucky few hours in Sakonett, RI, but who cares.

Date: October, 14 2009
    Time: 7am to 4pm
    Tide: 2/3 of outgoing, 1/2 of incoming.
    Weather: Sunny in the AM, then overcast. Light wind out of the NNW.
    Air: 50's
    Water: 60's
    Waves: 1-3 feet

I'm beat. This was a long day and i'm out of shape. With the crappy weather forecast over the next several days and the aforementioned child in a few weeks, this was a day to play hooky and see what could happen.

Got to the jetty at sunrise. Beautiful.

Early cast:

Here's the destination:

I was hoping for bass, but again was pleasantly surprised there were F.albacore everywhere:

Just in case I forgot, albies and fishing from shore can only mean one thing...boaters who think it's ok to fish anywhere they want.
    Fish within casting distance:

you're in brooklyn waters...Fuhgetuboutit:

The trend of the day was tons of fish, but nobody hooking up. After a lot of failed attempts, even casting right in the thick of several pods, I decided to put the rod down and pick up the camera.

Jumping fish, confirmation of albacore:

What were they eating?? shiners, and there were tons of them...

cont...
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

did i mention the tons of bait??

and the jumping albies?

They don't call them fat alberts or footballs for nothing:

Your fly...it is no good here:

Mullet...a good sign the bass should be here soon.

Bottom line was there was a ton of bait and fish weren't interested in anything else...why would they be? One of the boaters came closer to having a fish jump in the stern of his boat than actually hooking up. Seriously, I think one of them actually hit his outboard.

Also, water is still too warm for bass in close. I'm going to try for maaaybe one more outing before baby2 is here, but I don't know when that will be. This could have been it for 2009...

Trip XX+1

Date: October, 18 2009
    Time: 3pm to 6pm
    Tide: Beginning of incoming...very low
    Weather: Snotty.
    Wind: NE 15-30kts
    Air: 40's
    Water: 60's
    Waves: 5-9 feet

Couple of hours where wife confirmed she would not be giving birth and had things generally under control so zipped out to the south shore.

Water still warm, but I wanted to see the weak Nor'Easters coming through and what they were doing to the beach and surf.

Good to note here...the bigger the surf, the farther out it breaks, so long as the tide is low. Waves break over outer sandbar and shore more protected. High tide...don't bother...

No fish today...again , but good time in the water.

Spray...Beaufort Force 5? Experts care to debate?

Waves breaking on the outer bar:

It's not that there was no break left in the wash:

Rollers coming in, looking west to Breez:

With all the wind and waves, the birds were active and still had to eat. A quiet moment:

When the foamy remains washed in, they weren't always prepared and collisions happened:

Some days it's good to just to go play in the surf...back home and to the future:

Trip XX+2

Date: October 25, 2009
    Time: 12pm to 4pm
    Tide: 1/3 to 2/3 incoming
    Weather: Perfect
    Wind: L to R, helping. Perfect.
    Air: 60's
    Water: low 60's
    Waves: flat

Instead of heading to the SS and hoping that fish finally showed up in any sort of numbers, I decided to make the much shorter trip out to H. Island in Pelham Bay Park. Hadn't been there since late spring and didn't know what to expect.

The idea is that as fish head back down the RI and CT coast, there will be a % of the pop. that don't bypass LI Sound and then have to head deep into the western sound and out either the East River, out the Hudson, or head up the Hudson as "holdovers".

Casting on a beautiful day...play "spot the fly" (it's white)

Again...where's the fly?

Hookup...

...and where's the fly? ...as it leaves the the fishes mouth
    (this one's tough)

"Oh, I'm sorry, was this your fly?

the mile long schoolie

Ended up landing one tiny fish and losing one slightly larger. The second hit within 2 casts of the first. Same spot. As far as I could cast, straight out from lower tide exposed rock. Used intermediate line with white/chartreuse clouser and let it sink maybe 4 second before beginning slow strip.
    Last edited by mushmouth; 10-27-2009 at 07:05 AM.

Trip XX+3

Date: October 31, 2009
    Time: 11am-2pm
    Tide: Top to Outgoing
    Weather: Windy by unseasonably warm
    Wind: 10-12kts, R to L, think it's SW, but??
    Air: 60's
    Water: high 50s
    Waves: NA

This was the last trip to Pelham this year. Thought I had more days left, but this was it.

After catching the day prior, I had high expectations, but nothing happened. Fishing tends to test your patience wickedly. If you say to yourself it's your last cast, you snag a reed on the back cast. If you say you're going to jump to a spot you know well, you fall in. These are lame examples, but they were all I had from this day.

Never tried any stiching before...too obvious?

On the rock for the final 30min:

Little dip on the way out. Water temp was not 60's like I thought in prior post, or dropped fast after several cloudy fall days:

The walk back in was not so smooth:

Hello young White Hunter, I'll see you next year.

I don't know how fast these egrets grow, but in the early spring I saw two adults showing two young birds how hunt the shallow water...I wonder if this is one of the smaller birds from the spring flying solo...

Last edited by mushmouth; 11-10-2009 at 07:13 PM.

End of 2009

Last trip of 2009
    Time: 3pm to 6pm
    Tide: Last 2/3 of incoming
    Weather: Nice
    Wind: 8-10kts NW
    Air: 50's
    Water: high 50s
    Waves: NA

I couldn't stray far from home, but felt there was enough time to get out one last time in 2009 so I took the tram from Manhattan to Roosevelt Island and biked out to the northern end.

Overview photo of Roosevelt Island:

Brief history of what is now called Roosevelt Island:
    [wiki]
    * 1637 - Dutch Governor Wouter Van Twiller first purchases the island, then known as Hog Island, from the Canarsie Indians[5]
    * 1666 - After the English defeat the Dutch, Captain John Manning seizes the island
    * 1686 - Manning's son-in-law, Robert Blackwell, becomes the island's new owner and namesake
    * 1796 - Blackwell's great-grandson Jacob Blackwell constructs the Blackwell House, the island's oldest landmark, New York City's sixth oldest house and one of the city's few remaining examples of 18th-century architecture
    * 1828 - the City of New York purchases the island for $32,000

Blackwell Island, which was called Welfare Island from 1921 to 1973 and is now known as Roosevelt Island, was purchased by New York City in 1828. Various facilities on the island were built including a penitentiary, almshouse, city hospital, the New York Lunatic Asylum, and a smallpox hospital.
    [/wiki]

Another random (not mine)) pic of the northeast end of the island and the wall from which I fished:

Here's the tip and lighthouse in another test pano:

I went thinking that with an incoming tide I could cast out and let the current take a floating line with bunny fly out for some nice drifting action. That wasn't how it worked.

In reality, when the tide is coming in strong it forces the water at the tip of the island to one side then the other. The main current in close to the wall is then never straight away, but rather pushing slowly back and forth. At the end of the sweep, prior to reversal, the water in close actually moves against the incoming tide, which sweeps the line in, not out...kind of frustrating, but a learning experience.

There has got to be fish near there and it's got to be fishable using this method at some tide. A perfect project for 2010...

Casting from the wall near the lighthouse...with older lady traffic:

The light this time of day was beautiful and I wish I knew all the methods for capturing. Instead, I decided to get rid of the color.

Same wall, different angle:

When the sun set behind Manhattan, it was the end of my season...

Taking the tram back, odd frame grab of apartment building, the Queensboro bridge and a rule I will obey:

As mentioned, this was the last trip of the season. Typically, the fall would be heating up for me on the south shore, but not this time.

The next night my wife and I were in bed and she spoke these words I had been waiting for, but not expected to hear for another week, "ok, I think I'm having a contraction..."

The next day she was induced (for various medical reasons) and at 5:37am on November 4, 2009, after only 12 hours of labor, Grace Gaudin L****** was born.

8lb 14oz :

That's it for 2009...life beckons.
    Last edited by mushmouth; 11-11-2009 at 09:09 AM.

No congrats yet? Congratulations! cute kid.

Quote Originally Posted by dRider View Post
    No congrats yet? Congratulations! cute kid.
    Thanks dR!

Congrats Mush, on the kid and on what looks like was a good season.
    on the send bus to gnar town

congrats. Thanks for the log all season and the fear induced by the baby photo knowing I will be looking at one in about 9 weeks.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    congrats. Thanks for the log all season and the fear induced by the baby photo knowing I will be looking at one in about 9 weeks.
    Hey, my pleasure! ...and 9 weeks!! Good luck!

Tons of excellent stuff in here, Mush! Keep it rolling next season!

Wow, what an awesome slog and a phenomenal way to end it. Cheers to you, congrats on the kid, and helath to the whole family!
    another Handsome Boy graduate