Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Way to slay Mush.

Keep up the good work, Mush.

It has been very slow the last couple of weeks for me and getting out to the SW.

The rains of June hurt near shore fishing, at least with a fly. I tried the week before the 4th in Pelham. Fished for 3-4 hours through the low tide. Water was brown brown. I didn't get a sniff, but saw two bait guys catch decent fish...keeper size, and of course they kept them.

I can only guess that the water was so murky that fish would have a more difficult time even noticing a fly in the water, whereas bait would still attract with the smell.

I managed one small bluefish...

The weekend of the fourth was spent in RI. I landed two small stripers from the dock in Wickford, but fishing was so slow that I was too frustrated to take out the camera and got neither on film.

I tried outside the harbor with my sister (Hi!! ...if you're lurking) who was a good sport and put up with my boat handling orders pretty well as we did a controlled drift around Fox Island with a tough tide and wind. Once again...strike out. The place should be $$ at night, but it can be treacherous at lower tides as there are a number of unmarked rocks just below the surface.

There were no sign of bait outside the harbor, no bluefish hitting a trolled swimmer, nothing. We actually managed to hook two bluefish puttering through the harbor just trying to get line off the reel into the basket...

I think I will start hitting the beaches on the south shore now...maybe try Pelham one more time then hit Breezy next weekend. Tonight i head to Putnam County, NY so there will Bass...just not the ones I want.

Hopefully more to update soon...
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Albies should be around SOOOOOOOOOON.
    And bonito.

Headed east tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

Wow...slipping to page 3, in the Fishing forum no less. But that's how summer goes; things get slow...but then things start to heat up and when they do, it gets wild again!

Headed up to RI for Labor Day. Friday and Saturday fished a stretch of beach in South Dartmouth, MA. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but was more than pleasantly surprised.

Entering paradise:

Some of the locals:

The area is composed of a salt pond, an inlet and beach.
    View from the dunes back into the salt pond:

Main section of the inlet:

The inlet is connected to the ocean (outer reaches of Buzzards Bay) by an opening which is constantly changing with erosion. Last year it was closed entirely, but this year it's a perfect setup for an outgoing tide.

View from dunes to outflow:

The outflow is like a wide river ending in a sharp drop off to the ocean. It goes from about 1-2feet to 6-8feet in about 2 steps. this makes a perfect spot for bass to wait for food to get washed out. The down side is you get hammered from both directions with water flow.

Life in the rip:

...ain't always easy

Also makes positioning and monitoring a tripod a nerve racking ordeal. The camera was set up near the edge of a sand bar, but completely exposed to both the waves and the outflow. I've come to the realization that I'm going to lose the camera at some point, it's just a matter of when.

...cont.

After about 30minutes of getting the hang of the conditions, I noticed mini eruptions about 300 yards out. Then they moved closer and I could see those little forked tailed footballs breaking on bait. FAlberts from shore?? Could this be the day I've been waiting for?????

The pods of fish were small, maybe 10-15 fish per and would only last in one spot for 15 seconds or so and only twice did they get close enough to shore to get a cast to. The first time they popped up about 40 feet away my heart at once raced and sank. My line was out, into the backing, floating in the rip waiting for a bass...F***(*$!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it was worth it...first hook up with a striper in more than a month:

There was a guide boat going by looking for hardtails. Seeing I was hooked up on something, they decided the best place within 20 square miles to catch false albacore was 50 yards from the beach...seriously...gtfo

Once they moved out of the picture, another pod popped up, this time too far away for me...

The next time they popped up within casting distance, I was hooked up on another bass. I never thought I'd be unhappy about having a bass on a fly rod.

They never got within 100 yards again and I had to leave for family affairs with them breaking in the distance...

...but not before hooking up one last time!

The fishing was atypical. I'd only cast about 20 feet and just hold the fly as close to the edge of the drop off as possible. You could sometimes see the bass rise up and take swipes at the fly. The fight was also different as even hooked they would hang in the rip until they felt they were being pulled over the ledge and then they would run for 20 feet. This process would go on over and over.

All in all, it was great to be back in the rushing salt water with wind, waves, birds and fish all melding into one big long rush.

hopefully more to come soon.
    Last edited by mushmouth; 09-08-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Wow, I know that guide and have actually fished with him in the past. I know that his boat was sale and he has a bigger CC now, so I hope it wasn't him. Looks like you did well all. I need to learn that area, the admiral just got a job working as a lecturer at UMD so I may be down that way once in a while

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    Wow, I know that guide and have actually fished with him in the past. I know that his boat was sale and he has a bigger CC now, so I hope it wasn't him. Looks like you did well all. I need to learn that area, the admiral just got a job working as a lecturer at UMD so I may be down that way once in a while
    In retrospect, my feelings are mixed about the boat/guide being so tight. Having spent $$ on a guide this year for the first time I know I would want/expect to be put on the fish, wherever they may be. My issue was that once he hooked up, the drift put them in the center of the rip within fly casting distance, effectively cutting off any access I would have and preventing any reemergence of pods near shore while the fish were in the area. Once hooked up, at least he should make an effort to keep the boat at a distance. If it was your guy, I'm at least happy he made a client happy and will stay in business.

I'll be back out in the Little Compton area at the end of September and am praying it will be as good as it should be.

I love these updates. Looks like a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    In retrospect, my feelings are mixed about the boat/guide being so tight. Having spent $$ on a guide this year for the first time I know I would want/expect to be put on the fish, wherever they may be. My issue was that once he hooked up, the drift put them in the center of the rip within fly casting distance, effectively cutting off any access I would have and preventing any reemergence of pods near shore while the fish were in the area. Once hooked up, at least he should make an effort to keep the boat at a distance. If it was your guy, I'm at least happy he made a client happy and will stay in business.

I'll be back out in the Little Compton area at the end of September and am praying it will be as good as it should be.
    He's not only looking to get his clients fish but keep them on the fish and not dropped, hense the drift.

Hardtails along LI.
    Must. Bring. Surfrod.

I think I know who that is too.

This is one of the best fishing threads i've seen. Thanks! Excited to see what's next.

Quote Originally Posted by KIRinPNW View Post
    Excited to see what's next.
    Quote Originally Posted by likwid View Post
    Hardtails along LI.
    Must. Bring. Surfrod.
    DING, DING, DING!!!!!

Up next may be jetty mob scenes with post Labor day beach access open....but you can't complain about mobs when you're one of them.

DING, DING, DING!!!!!

Up next may be jetty mob scenes with post Labor day beach access open....but you can't complain about mobs when you're one of them.
    I'll be somewhere between Shinnecock and Montauk Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by likwid View Post
    I'll be somewhere between Shinnecock and Montauk Saturday.
    I had no clue the weather was such shit on the coast:
    TONIGHT
    E WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 KT. SEAS 8 TO
    13 FT.
    RAIN. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM AFTER MIDNIGHT.

FRI
    E WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 8 TO 13 FT...
    SUBSIDING TO 7 TO 10 FT IN THE AFTERNOON. RAIN. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

SAT
    SW WINDS AROUND 5 KT...BECOMING W IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 4 TO
    6 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE MORNING.

Saturday looks like it will be one of those days filled with a lot of expletives and basket draining surf...must resist urge to bring spinning rod.

Saturday looks like it will be one of those days filled with a lot of expletives and basket draining surf...must resist urge to bring spinning rod.
    1201M + VS200 =

i just found this thread, thanks for posting mushmouth! i'm trying to do something along the same lines. when i get home from work i'm gonna read the heck out of this thread and pm you some of my stuff.
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    i just found this thread, thanks for posting mushmouth! i'm trying to do something along the same lines. when i get home from work i'm gonna read the heck out of this thread and pm you some of my stuff.
    ...hope you found it somewhat interesting.

Back to it.

Following the last post of the weather a few weeks ago I have to note that I did make it out on:

SAT
    SW WINDS AROUND 5 KT...BECOMING W IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 4 TO
    6 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE MORNING.

That was Saturday, September 12, 2009. Weather was accurate, but conditions diminishing. Went to Fort Tilden for the first time this season.
    Tide was 2/3 high with a little surge. This actually made the jetty with the log, near the lot, fishable on the west side with a fly rod, despite the surf. Essentially the surge made that side deeper than normal while the jetty was accessible because the surf was breaking farther out.

Fished a chartreuse clouser, did not expect much, but ended up hooking up with a rat while getting line off the reel.
    POV was set to "clip" not "loop" so I have one 1.5 hour clip that I can't edit because it's too big, so here's a crappy screen shots of what it was like...

Wave-y

Still Wave-y

Rat on!

No...please don't fall in the rocks...

Don't worry buddy, I'll save you!

Wetness

Be free!

One more fish after that and then tide was too high and things got a little sketchy. Not a bad outing.

Went to Little Compton this past weekend (9/27/09) and got in a few hours. Update shortly.

Mixed entry:

We have our second child due in a month. Our daughter, born at the the beginning of last summer, is the sweatest person on the face of my world. She has been kind enough to humor me in holding a rod when placed in her hands and also to not wake up Mom when I leave before dawn on what often feel like selfish missions.

I love you, sweetie.

Despite the reflection on family development, this post is mainly about the consolidation of a video I'm compiling of this season. The reason for including the above is that when I reflect on this year I want to see her, as she and her mother have been on my mind where ever I've gone.

The separate thread with Part 1 is here: [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168322"]Surf & Inshore Fishing 2009 Video - Part 1 - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

Part 1:

Part 2 is going to be slow in the editing because of babygirl 2, but I'm going to put drafts in here of scenes in the meantime, beginning with this from Wickford Harbor in Rhody.

Part 2, Scene1:

I may have another day or two left in the surf of LI before life changes once again. It's been a great year so far. Fingers crossed it all gets even better.

...more soon.

Once again Mush, that looks great. Love the shot of the reel spinning when the fish makes a run. Keep 'em coming.
    on the send bus to gnar town

Quote Originally Posted by DEVO View Post
    Love the shot of the reel spinning when the fish makes a run.
    That fish in your photo would eat that reel...what a pig!

That fish in your photo would eat that reel...what a pig!
    Well, that wasn't caught with a fly reel. 45lbs, with a live eel, off of Westport MA. My biggest to date.

Now if I could just get any sized striper on the fly, it would really complete my season (I just started fly fishing). Hopefully sometime in the next week or so I can get out and hit up some blitzing fish.
    on the send bus to gnar town

Very cool. Who is the artist of the acoustic "Orion"? And you cut that song just before my favorite part!
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Very cool. Who is the artist of the acoustic "Orion"? And you cut that song just before my favorite part!
    Thanks hop!
    That was Rodrigo y Gabriela and yeah...sorry , a lot of the songs are cut in some way or another to fit the content.

tunes

Thanks hop!
    That was Rodrigo y Gabriela and yeah
    unable to hear music due to GOV puter, R y G, Tamacun from Meathead movie a few years back??? I love that shit! Are you like me in the way you itunes all the ski movie music every year? Maybe already covered this a while back but, 8wt? I think I remmeber you using something lighter? Maybe it was just the travelling rod though. Enjoying the pics and narrative as always.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Thanks hop!
    That was Rodrigo y Gabriela and yeah...sorry , a lot of the songs are cut in some way or another to fit the content.
    Thanks, I'll have to look this up and see if they can do justice to the badass Cliff Burton bass riff, which one of my all time favorites (up there w/ Ron Carter's work in Freddie Hubbard's "Red Clay").
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels