New Boots Question?

Yeh, yeh - try 'um on.

As I'm not longer inside, I'm looking to get some new boots at the upcoming sales. Like a jackass, I didn't demo any boots last year. For the last 15yrs, I've been skiing or Salomon race boots (not plugs). I want to step-it down a touch in stiffness for comfort and the new school skis don't seem to require the same technique. A few Q?

X-wave 8,9,10 and all the other Solly boots (1080s, CrossMax etc), what's the diff? Which ones do you think?

What other manus models are similar to Sollys in terms of foot shape (narrow), calf shape (chicken) and stance (relatively low ramp angle)?

What should I be looking for in shell sizing, 1.5 fingers?

Thanks

What is the flex rating of the boot you have now? I ski on the X wave 8.0 with a custom footbed and custom liner (note, I just got the custom liner, so I don't know how it skis, but I'm sure it is going to be awesome). I can't really compare it to the other boots because I have not skied them, but here is what I know

X wave 8.0 - Flex is 85
    X wave 9.0 - Flex is 100
    X wave 10.0 - Flex is 110

As far as I know the 8.0, 9.0 and 10.0 are all the same boot except for the flex rating. The 10.0 does have double canting though. I think if you get a softer boot (as you note above), say the 8.0 or the 9.0 with a custom footbed and custom liner you will be sitting pretty good.

The Crossmax is Solly's racing boot - flex is 110

The 1080 is their park and pipe boot - flex is 85. It has all sort of features the Solly lists on their website.

Not a boot expert, but I've always here two fingers for the shell. Get the custom footbed which will accomodate your foot shape and get the custom liner which will correctly form around the shape of your lower leg and for the stance that you ski with. I know, that is a lot of cash to drop, but it's worth it, right?

You may know all this from their website, but I was bored at work and decide to help you with some research.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Thanks for the info. My race boots are a 110. Seems like I should be checking the 9. I check the liner on the 8 at REI. Honestly, it looked pretty cheese, lots of soft padding. I know you went custom, but I don't have that change. Whatever Solly's, thermo liner is worked well for me. Custom footbed is a given.

Originally posted by Foggy_Goggles
    check the liner on the 8 at REI. Honestly, it looked pretty cheese, lots of soft padding.
    I agree, that's why I got the custom.

This is what the website says about the 9.0's liner:

"3D CustomFit liner (Gore Tex Softech): Wrap around customized fit and support : CustomFit Foam in the foot envelopment tongue and footbed area + thermoformable footbed"
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Thumbs up Re: New Boots Question?

Originally posted by Foggy_Goggles
    Yeh, yeh - try 'um on.

As I'm not longer inside, I'm looking to get some new boots at the upcoming sales. Like a jackass, I didn't demo any boots last year. For the last 15yrs, I've been skiing or Salomon race boots (not plugs). I want to step-it down a touch in stiffness for comfort and the new school skis don't seem to require the same technique. A few Q?

X-wave 8,9,10 and all the other Solly boots (1080s, CrossMax etc), what's the diff? Which ones do you think?

What other manus models are similar to Sollys in terms of foot shape (narrow), calf shape (chicken) and stance (relatively low ramp angle)?

What should I be looking for in shell sizing, 1.5 fingers?

Thanks

Ok, as per requested in another thread, I wil humbly try to answer all Q's that Foggy asked, as he hooked me up on one of my own.

As mentioned the flex changes through the models as does the liner, the eight wouldn't be in consideration IMO, if your coming from the courses, for performance and the liner as also mentioned.
    As well as using a softer plastic on the lateral, making it a noticeably soft boot. It's till a heat-moldable liner just not as advanced as the upper boots. Also steps down to a thinner power strap that's a bit cheesy. Also the cuff is slightly lower.

The 9 and the 10 are the same shell, just the 9 isn't riveted through the cuff into the lower boot, you can see this rivet on the rear, just above and back the canting mechanisims. This means the Flex index is lowered to 100.
    If so inclined you can do this same thing, or have a shop do it to beef up the flex and save a few dollars that way. I think the only difference in addition to that is the 10 has a layer of cork on the footbed to absorb hits etc. Which I can't say is amazingly noteble.

Going on, the 10 and the Crossmax are the same boot just one real ugly Dale Earnhardt Jr. paint scheme on the Crossmax. Both are a flex index of 110.

The 1080 has an additional pad or insert that goes on the bootboard for booters, dude! Some people have said they can tell the difference, I would think it's minimal if your smacking it in the flats. This years 1080 boot is pretty cool looking, got rid of the mountain dew and Vodka puke they had last year. Flex index is down to 85 on the 1080, true jib boot. The cuff is lowered to get your steeze on, and yeah well. I really wouldn't get a 1080 unless I was either a dedicated Park rat or maybe a coach who is doing a lot of standing, walking around etc, on hill and wants a softer boot.

While you didin't mention it, you might also try the Pro Model Spaceframe, if your aiming towards something out of this years line. Flex of 95, custom-fit race liner, and the absorbing sole, etc. Guessing this might have a bit of sticker-shock with it, as it's part of their new space-frame boots. Pretty proud of those.

All of the boots that you mentioned are a medium last, according to Salomon except the new Pro Model, which is a low-volume last.

If you were in the course and are coming down a bit I would probly say either the X-max 10 or X-wave 10. Nice thing about both of the shells is that they are pre-marked to soften the shell, and the rivets can be removed to unfix the cuff to the foot portion of the boot. Basically I'm saying start with the higher performance boot, it's a better liner and shell, and if needed have it softened if you need to.

Hope that helped.

Just remembered, the flex index of your old boot at a 110 may not be same as a 110 now, The boots are going to softer up front and stiffer laterally to drive around the sidecut of the ski, basically meaning you don't have to flex the ski into shape as it is built into it.

Edit: sizing, matter of preference, you can always take away from a boot shell, it's not easy to add to it, nor is going to fit the way it should. 1.5 is a good measure.
    Last edited by CaddyDaddy77; 09-01-2004 at 01:59 PM.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

werd. I'll be looking for some max 10s at the ski sales me thinky.

check out this guy on ebay. he has last years, promodels which have a beefy thermomodable liner anf flex index of 95. buy it now for 348$ isn't a bad deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Originally posted by powwrangler
    check out this guy on ebay. he has last years, promodels which have a beefy thermomodable liner anf flex index of 95. buy it now for 348$ isn't a bad deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    I've bought through woodland sports before and had nothing but a great experience, quick transactions and both items were shipped pronto.
    Good luck Foggy.

I bought my ProModel's for a similar price and have been SUPER happy with them, other than being a little too small probably. I have been super happy with mine after I added a 3-strap Booster to them.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

i'm in the xwave 10's and have liked them, but the fit has suffered due to a highly packed out liner. shoulda went smaller.

i'm thinking i'll go for some promodels after reading up on them.

caddy is the boot mang! always with the boot type insight.

Arrow

Originally posted by basom
    i'm in the xwave 10's and have liked them, but the fit has suffered due to a highly packed out liner. shoulda went smaller.
    Same thing w/ me and my 9's with a season's use on them.

Check out the new ProModels on REI. What's with the honeycombing on the sides? http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Originally posted by 13
    Same thing w/ me and my 9's with a season's use on them.

Check out the new ProModels on REI. What's with the honeycombing on the sides? http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH
    thats the new buildup caddy is stoked on.

hoping to prodeal these, otherwise i'll go for last years.

Caddy: you thing the liner is really compression resistant, or is that a load of horse chunder?

Caddy: you thing the liner is really compression resistant, or is that a load of horse chunder?
    Waiting for BB's reply on this, since he rocked a pair of pro models last season.

I'm in the market for some but don't have $650 bones lying around to pick up a new pair.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Originally posted by 13
    I'm in the market for some but don't have $650 bones lying around to pick up a new pair.
    without prodeal it's way, way too much money for sure.

The spaceframe is the Hexagonal cut outs ont he side, the cuff is also changed. The idea being that you should be railroading or skiing with both feet. The pressure needed on each ski is different, and the spaceframe is supposed to help with that. The inside edge needs to be stiffer, to direct and power the turn, while the internal needs to follow the external and therefore be softer.

The cuff, if you get a chance to gab a pair has a inlay or mixed plastic in it now. It basically looks like a fillament integrated iunto the plastic. It's called softex

The spaceframe is the Hexagonal cut outs ont he side, the cuff is also changed. The idea being that you should be railroading or skiing with both feet. The pressure needed on each ski is different, and the spaceframe is supposed to help with that. The inside edge needs to be stiffer, to direct and power the turn, while the internal needs to follow the external and therefore be softer.

The cuff, if you get a chance to gab a pair has a inlay or mixed plastic in it now. It basically looks like a fillament integrated into the plastic. It's called softex, and from what I gathered supposed to reduce the tendency for plastic to stretch, which is a likely place for it to occour in the cuff, where the greatest pressure is exerted.

On the liner, I'm curious to know if the MM on the actual shell size dropped from the Pro Model to say the X-Max. If the actual boot MM is the same the internal last can only be actually smaller by having additional material within the boot. From my plug boot to the course there was a 4mm difference between the two, with the same shell size.

I would gamble to guess the Pro might be like this and maybe BakerBoy could chime in on this one, I don't remember if last years were this way. The new one has removeable canting, meaning you can remove the cuff from the lower shell. This was a design from years back in the plug boots when you would actually get them in two pieces, with sometimes different cuffs for stiffness. If nothing else, it's really convinent if your doing major boot grinding as it allows you to get further into the boot without obstruction.

If they are using the race liner, that's similar to the one they use in the plug boots the pack out is going to be very minimal. The plug liner is like a thick wool sock at its thickest parts and like a gym sock in the lower part. The compresion resistant, means, we didn't put much material to actually pack.

without prodeal it's way, way too much money for sure.
    I'm not cool enough to get boot pro-deals, so you can eat me.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I haven't read all of this and not sure what all was covered.

The one thing to consider is the XWave last is not 'narrow' by any means. If you were previously in a course boot I'd guess the Xwave would be wider than you need.

I saw the Pro Model mentioned above and I think that would be much closer to your needs. It has the narrow last of the course but is significantly softer.

Also consider that just as technique with modern skis has changed so have many boots which is to say many are now softer fore and aft.

If you don't need the room over the instep that the Salomons offer then you might check into Langes in the new last which has much more toe room. (If you're looking at last years boot the liner still lacks toe room)

Bottom line is go for the fit first and soften a boot if necessary. The Salomons are heavily padded behind the heel. That will give you a real solid feeling at first but as mentioned lots of packing out. If you buy Salomons buy them REAL SNUG.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy