Bennetts Fracture (Broken Thumb / Metacarpal) with pics

This happened last Saturday. It still f'ing hurts. I've been in Florida since Monday so I've only had time to get x-rays to determine that yes, its broken and yes, I need surgery of some sort. Ironically, the hand doc here is named Dr. Hand. I'm flying back to CA tomorrow and seeing an ortho on Monday. Hopefully he'll pin it then so it can start healing.

I was snowboarding at Northstar on my birthday and had a fluky fall where I skidded out on some scratchy stuff, then hooked up on some better snow and overloaded the nose of the board. It flipped me pretty hard and fast and I must have landed on my thumb. Was hoping it was just skier's thumb, but no such luck.

If you look at the very base of my thumb (actually its my metacarpal, technically part of my hand), you can see the triangular shaped bone fragment. Its called a Bennetts fracture. I'm not sure who Bennett is. The swelling has finally started going down now and my wrist is showing fun colored bruises down about two inches from the base of my hand.

It looks like I may have to miss LBD at Kirkwood.

I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Sorry about your injury. At least you got to see Dr. Hand - pretty funny - poor guy/girl probably never hears the end of it. Hope you heal up well and fast.

Bennetts Fracture (Broken Thumb / Metacarpal) with pics

Yo! Old school thread bump.

Long term healing wise, how you doing with this? I had a bennetts fracture in May and still feel crazy pain on a daily basis. Can't play guitar/uke anymore, biking grip strength is down, can't really lift weights, etc... Hell, i can barely lift a coffee pot with that hand, or open up a twist off. In other words, life kinda sucks since this happened! Mine was minimally displaced so managed without surgery and I'm starting to wonder if that was the best plan.

Your hand feel strong again? Still feel pain?