Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by elevens View Post

You might want to pull back at little bit on the 1 yr old cowboy.

Most infants are not walking at 12 months, let alone have the strength and balance to ski. Please remember that babies and toddlers still have very maluable bones and 'toddler fractures' are very common and often times can go undetected causing significant health and development issues later on in life.

just my 2 cents
    holy shit that was gay. What kind of skiing you think a 1yr old is really doing?

100 days that is unreal. nice work pops.
    Drive slow, homie.

Very cool.
    Sounds like your kids picked the right parents.

Shoot. That's more days than some peeps get in a lifetime.
    Good for you pops! I hope my kid(s) (don't have any yet) catch the stoke like yours have.
    Home skooling rocs!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Don't worry. She will be 2 in three weeks, and she has been walking (and running and climbing...) since she was 9 months old.
    my first born Zane was on skis at 23 months too. he was big and strong for his age. all we did was take him to the hill and let him slide down a lil slope a few days. no issues no trauma.
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Congratulations to Liberty!
    Sounds like she is part of a very happy family.

Impressive, this makes me more excited to take my daughter out for the first time next week she is 22 months old. You are a role model for all of us with kids I hope my daughter likes skiing as much as her dad. Congrats.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

the guy literally lives in a van down by the river and you guys are calling him a role model?

he should call it "van schooling" if anything

way to go Liberty and fam!

I always see you guys charging around and have wanted to give a kudos in person for all the hard work and time you guys have put into teaching/become RIPPERS

saw the clan SLAYING it in Cheyenne bowl deeepness today

I wish my dad brought me up how you are raising your kids. Damn, you rock skiing-in-jackson
    there's powder out there, and it ain't gonna find you

http://www.powaholic.blogspot.com/

7 yrs old? she would have been much better off watching cartoons on TV all season long

on a more serious note: and so does she
    The beatings will continue until morale will improve.

Helldawg Guest
    Can u home skool me next season too (with pass)?

Congrats Liberty and family. I am looking forward to getting my little one started, but doubt we'll ever come close to 100 days.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam.

Still waiting to have my first 100+ year (may never happen). To have that at 7 is amazing

WOW! She must be a strong little dude!

Good on ya' Stephen. You guys rock! Was a blast chasing you and the crew around the hill on my 2 trips to JH this year. Hope to hook up with you guys again soon.

let's post that shit on shejumps.org!!! i'll have lynsey (dyer) do an interview with her!

Sounds like her schooling is on the mountain. Who needs to go to college when you are on track to sign with TGR, a ski company, and/or Warren Miller films at age 16. She can finish her requirements, and be ripping it up, and supporting the family!

Props, man. She is living up to her name.

And don't let anyone tell you homeschooling is bad. Not every child is fit for school. It's only the right environment for some. Plus, there is no such thing as a learning disability... there are just different abilities in different children. And your daughter is showing her capacity to do something great on skis. So that is definitely something special.

And is Liberty as happy as her Dad about this? hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by intheWRONGsummitcounty View Post
    Sounds like her schooling is on the mountain. Who needs to go to college when you are on track to sign with TGR, a ski company, and/or Warren Miller films at age 16. She can finish her requirements, and be ripping it up, and supporting the family!
    Um yeah you really are clueless. Can you name one 16 year old freeskier who is making enough coin to support a family? There are probably 5 or 6 skiers who make enough money from the film companies to fully support themselves, much less an extended family, and they've all worked for many years to get to that point of fragile stability.
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

I don't know much about homeschooling, but I do have a teacher's license, so here goes:

Most of the time kids spend in school isn't very educational (although you can argue that the social elements are important....). Mostly, there is a ton of time wasted doing things like waiting for the class to settle down, handling the daily routine paperwork, and reviewing material that they already know.

Realistically in a one on one environment, with a competent educator, you could probably achieve grade level profeciency using 3 hours a day.

Compare the amount of time you put in during college to the amount of time in high school. Despite the fact that the college curriculum is more demanding, you really spend about the same amount time actually working and way less time in class.

So, don't jump on a guy who spends a few hours skiing with his kids every day instead of making them sit in a classroom where they are learning at the rate of the slow kids, and having to deal with all the random administrative overhead associated with keeping 25 kids organized.

(That said, there can be lots of problems with homeschooling, but the putting enough time in isn't one of them.)

Edit - I can't believe I just spent a whole post arguing about homeschooling, and forgot to congratulate Liberty:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

(It took me 25 years to get my first 100 day season)
    Last edited by AntiSoCalSkier; 04-03-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Fkna! SIJ that is about as sweet as it gets! I am pretty stoked that my 6 year old is going to hit 35 this year and can guarantee she won't get to 100 for years, being we don't homeschool and currently live front range so it's tough to really add em up. Hopefully Emerson and Liberty can ski together some day. Nice work Liberty! Nice work Dad!!
    "Pffffft, Please."
    Never, EVER, give them permission to enter your vehicle, the dogs are not coming.

Very cool achievement Liberty. You go girl!

And this comment speaks volumes
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBound View Post
    Stephan, you and you lovely wife have done a fantastic job with the kids. Not only are they all rippers', they are all intelligent, well-spoken and very polite. I am not a "kid" person but enjoyed my time with them in January very much. Great job!
    Be proud SIJ.

Thanks for all the kind words. We've had a great winter.

Here is a fun pic of Liberty coming out of the bottom Alta 2 yesterday or the day before:

Attachment 58417
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Way to go Liberty! 100 days is several years worth of ski trips for most "skiers" on this forum. Keep it up because skiing is a GOOD thing to do with your life.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Liberty; Oooh yeah!!! Between 100 days on a mountain and this: Principal Skinner, That's two independent thought alarms in one day. Willie, the children are over-stimulated. Remove all the colored chalk from the classrooms. It might be time to reconsider ones opinion of home schooling.

BUMP!

Liberty turns eight today. She's looking over my shoulder as we type this...

Props to Libz!

BTW- ski passes went on sale yesterday, it is now ski pass season, soon to be ski season.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain