Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I counted 12 named bowls in the tenured area and another 9 bowls off the tenured area dropping back to the ski-hill access road. A busy day in Shames sees about a 100 skiers; the math is pretty staggering.
    So that means it all gets skied out in an hour?

There is a life time of lines there.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Real Bowls!

Amazing shots and narration, Lee. As always, you are out there getting it done in some of the most amazing terrain I have ever seen. Shames looks like an absolute goldmine.
    On another subject, those are real bowls. A lot of resorts have what I would call a "face," and yet it is called a bowl. Jackson Hole comes to mind in places such as Riverton Bowl. The bowls in your pics are for real as are, say, the bowls at Kicking Horse. Is it really ok or legitimate to call the flat or nearly flat face on the side of a mountain a bowl? Or am I just an uninformed or unobservant dumbass?

methinks someone will be very angry with you for spreading this around

ps.

I knew I wanted to go before this thread. Now I know I am going soon
    Thanks Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.

That place sure doesn't look like TeH 5ucK!

Wow, the undiscovered country.

Pretty stunning terrain indeed.
    "A lack of planning and preparation on your part does not make it an emergency on my part."

If anybody feels like visiting, drop me a line.

wow.

i can see why you're stoked Lee!

sick.

whoa, scoping out a future trip now ....
    Thanks!
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

yeah, i figure these pictures and my excitement might get one or two extra skiers on that hill next year.

They got about 30,000 skier visits last year. That's what WhistlerBlackcomb gets in a busy weekend!

Its such a huge contrast between the friendliness of the locals there and the general pissiness that I see on the Utah Teletips thread (god I've come to hate that stupid site and its passive aggressive bullshit); or the localism of the turns-all-year Bellingham type crowds and their secret-stashes.

Anyway back to the positive. This place is un freaking real. It's Shangri-La. Everything that skiing should be and could be. Just GO!

From Vancouver you have to fly Air Canada or Hawkair. Its about 500 return. it's about 800 airmiles so that's dick all.

Next year I'm going up North for 2 weeks and going to tour Terrace and Stewart-cassiar. Want to go???? I

btw - John Baldwin's new book has awesome beta on the local areas - http://www.johnbaldwin.ca/exploring.htm

is it not for sale as well or did it sell? am i thinking of the right place?
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    is it not for sale as well or did it sell? am i thinking of the right place?
    It's on sale since three years for financial problems. That's why locals don't mind to see some new faces on their mountain; they don't want to lose it. If the lift don't run; forget about the easy access to slackcountry and the road wouldn't be plowed so forget the easy access to the other side of the Shames valley.

Last week I lazy-toured with LM, sometimes TGR poster from way up north in BC. He specifically mentioned Terrace as 'it'. Now I understand why. Like seriously.

Divorcing Japanese wife asap, looking for Canadian replacement. Open to offers. Looks not important (during winter).
    Life is not lift served.

Looks phenomenal, and for those of us who like to ski more then 2 lines in a day, hows the sled access?
    Last edited by whatcomridaz; 03-26-2009 at 08:49 AM.
    does anyone still enjoy riding inbounds?

Quote Originally Posted by whatcomridaz View Post
    Looks phenomenal, and for those of us who like to ski more then 2 lines in a day, hows the sled access?
    You just drive back to Whistler and you can make all the noise you want there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    You just drive back to Whistler and you can make all the noise you want there.
    Who'd drive back to Whistler with 4000 foot shuttle runs in Revy
    does anyone still enjoy riding inbounds?

I'd like to reiterate that the terrain around Shames is only a drop in the hat for what exists in the area. There are plenty of good sled-skiing mountains in the area (Sterling, Irlington, etc), as well as dozens of good touring areas.

Thanks for the photos Lee. I've skied there a few times but only caught glimpses of the surrounding mountains due to snow laden cloudcover. Fortunately I was with a local who knew the sweet spots.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by wetcoaster View Post
    If anybody feels like visiting, drop me a line.
    I met the Tourism Canada dude at a conference in Montreal and he offered me a trip there. Should have taken him up on his offer. It's been published in Powder (prolly ten plus years ago) and is definitely beautiful. I know I'd like to ski there. Lee, your pics lay it out better than I ever seen. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    It's on sale since three years for financial problems.

Out of curiosity, anyone know what they are asking?
    Are we part of the solution, or are we part of the pollution? -M.F.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Out of curiosity, anyone know what they are asking?
    I believe there was a thread here last year about it. Lucky might now, he's been looking at Terrace for the past few years.

I shoulda looked before posting. It looks like the ask is $1.5 million.

http://www.uniqueproperties.ca/Shame...0emailable.pdf
    Are we part of the solution, or are we part of the pollution? -M.F.

Like wetcoaster said, sled ski access is unfreaking believeable.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I met the Tourism Canada dude at a conference in Montreal and he offered me a trip there. Should have taken him up on his offer. It's been published in Powder (prolly ten plus years ago) and is definitely beautiful. I know I'd like to ski there. Lee, your pics lay it out better than I ever seen. Thanks.
    Splat there was a powder mag crew up there. Chad Sayers, Jordan Manley et al. Should be a Smithers vs terrace article out soon

Our little hill is only $1.5 million? Wow. A steal.

Still, whoever buys it will need to put some money into it. Last day of the season is this Sunday, when they host the "Slush Cup".

There is plenty of snow, and no slush. I wish they were open longer....