Thread: AT boots in SLC

Skis is offline It's one louder, isn't it

AT boots in SLC

I'll be in SLC in a little over a week and I'm looking for a good shop to buy AT boots. It seems like Dynafit is the way to go for someone like me that likes an interface with little slop but doesn't huck. Right now, I'm looking at BD Factor, Scarpa Skookum, Garmont Axon and especially Dynafit ZZeus. My foot fits a Rossi B-Squad composite (lowish volume, narrowish heel--same as Lange FR) quite well...

Any recommendations for a good (hopefully cheap...) shop in or near SLC with a good Dynafit compatible boot selection? Thoughts on which brands might fit my foot?

Not particularly cheap but Wasatch Touring fits the bill.
    http://www.wasatchtouring.com/

Black Diamond store in town. Cheap deals right now. Wasatch Touring may still have demos (50% off). And since I'm a sleezeball, I got some 28.5 Axons for cheap.

Want a great fitter? Go see Kelly (sp? he's a dude) at BD store. He's really, really good with AT boots.

Quote Originally Posted by grenalds View Post
    Black Diamond store in town. Cheap deals right now. Wasatch Touring may still have demos (50% off). And since I'm a sleezeball, I got some 28.5 Axons for cheap.

Want a great fitter? Go see Kelly (sp? he's a dude) at BD store. He's really, really good with AT boots.
    Yep. Great deals at the BD store and still a lot of stock (not just BD, they have Garmont too). And good bootfitting services as well.

Don't go to Wasatch Touring, their customer service is shit. I'll throw in another vote for the BD store.
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    There are good men out there. Good men who are good looking, who ski hard, have their shit in order, know their priorities in life and will make you happy. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

I will definitely check out the BD store. Do they carry Dynafit bindings? Anyone have any idea how much they have left [boots, and bindings] at this point in the season?

Other places to check out?
    Last edited by Skis; 03-31-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: clarification

sports loft (earl and jeremy middlemiss) in carries dynafit and dynafit only (for AT boots).
    As posted numerous times on this site, they are NOT cheap, but seem to have a good size selection left.
    801-272-3701.

Rob at REI in Salt Lake is a good bootfitter. Not sure what selection they have left, but it should be on sale, and you've got the confidence you can take it back if it doesn't work. Also heard good things about BD store, though I think some of the shop help has an attitude problem. Very boutiquey, and not necessarily in a good way.

Sounds like your foot will fit best in a Garmont or a BD boot, possibly Dynafit. If it's just going to be for touring, I'd go with a Garmont or Dynafit. If you want to use it inbounds as well, BD is the way to go. Either way, having watched two friends break fritschi bindings this year (while climbing, one of them has done it twice), I'd go with dynafit clamps. BD store carries all these brands, as does REI. But Ptex1 will give you the best deal on Dynafit bindings.

Thanks. I'd love to get a great deal on the bindings, but I don't have the tools to do a mount myself and I'd like to get this all set up fairly soon--planning on a tour or two later this month. I'll e-mail Ptex1 to see if his deal is too good to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skis View Post
    I will definitely check out the BD store. Do they carry Dynafit bindings? Anyone have any idea how much they have left [boots, and bindings] at this point in the season?

Other places to check out?

I picked up pair of verdicts mounted with ST's a couple weeks back - they seemed to have a lot STs and FT-12's available, plus plenty of boots (Radiums, Methods, Factors). Prices were as low as I could find on the web and they mounted them while I waited (a 12 pack of PBR goes a long way).

Quote Originally Posted by djc View Post
    I picked up pair of verdicts mounted with ST's a couple weeks back - they seemed to have a lot STs and FT-12's available, plus plenty of boots (Radiums, Methods, Factors). Prices were as low as I could find on the web and they mounted them while I waited (a 12 pack of PBR goes a long way).
    Sweet. They'll be the first place I check out.