Best Windows Video Editing SW?

Yes I have searched and no I am not going to buy a new Mac just for Final Cut Pro

What are people using? I need something more intuitive than VirtualDub. Not looking to spend $500 plus on SW, just the best consumer level product I can get. Hoping to do things like PIP/multiple angles simultaneously, music overlay and possibly some image stabilization (if it's any good at this level), and maybe some HD. Nothing too elaborate. Seems like the short list should be: Vegas Studio 9, Adobe Premier, Cyberlink Powerdirector 7, Pinnacle Studio....???

I know guys like advres and Kidwoo know all of this already.

School me.

advres Guest
    Well quite honestly, I am a mac guy so I haven't used software on the windows side for quite some time. Premiere has come a long way and is integrated very nicely with the rest of the CS applications (photoshop, illustrator, After effects, etc). It is pretty powerful for the money.

I absolutely hated Vegas when we were developing for it but it was a much older version. I have heard pretty decent reviews from non-pro users with these newer versions of Vegas.

Pinnacle was bought out by Avid. But just because it bears the Avid name, don't be fooled. It is a piece of shit. It is should be called "fisher-price: my-first-editing-application". Don't waste your money on it. You can get free things that are better.

I have no idea about cyberlink.

My suggestion is to go to all of these websites and download the trial software. They will usually work for a couple week trial period, mostly fully functional and you can then decide for yourself which would best suit your workflow and which would be overkill.

Also check out Edius - http://desktop.thomsongrassvalley.co...DIUS/index.php

You may want to search around versiontracker as well. There may be some freeware you could use or just another smaller company you have never heard of to test out.

advres Guest
    Ummm, last I saw AMC was over $2,000. I thought he wanted to keep it cheap? And is it still dongle based like it used to be? If so, it will be hard for him to even be able to steal the software

Yeah - that's why I deleted my post. Also the "Liquid" is the revamped Premiere.

dude....$2495

I could buy a new MAC with FCP

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    dude....$2495

I could buy a new MAC with FCP
    Well he did answer the title correctly, even if he didn't read the first post

Yeah like advres said, I'd just download some trials and see what you like.

I'd either go with some incarnation of premiere or final cut just because those are the two most ubiquitous programs out there and you'll always be able to find tutorials or answers to questions pretty easily (like calling me if you have premiere questions ).

I'm pretty sure you can get final cut on a PC these days and I KNOW you can get premiere on a mac. The platform doesn't really dictate the software as much as it used to.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Premiere Pro, its the bomb. Bittorrent and wear a condom yo. Thats all I gots to say.