Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

NOTE:
    It seems the prices are fixed and are not going to go up every few months like previous Suqaw pass prices? Anybody know?
    Going up May 11 according the to faq:

"7. What is the deadline and what happens after that?
    The deadline for this pricing is May 11, 2009 at midnight (for online purchases) or at close of business in the Season Pass Office (3pm). After that time, the pass price will increase. Quantities are limited and pricing will revert back to more typical Squaw pricing following the deadline so purchase prior to May 11, 2009 to guarantee this low price."

Yep. Drope the ropes and watch 'em get buried. That'll control the crowds and decrease the lift lines.
    squaw valley - closed boundary
    squaw is gnar and all, but the sidecountry is no more dangerous there than at the resorts below.
    snowbird - open boundary
    jackson hole - open boundary
    kirkwood - open boundary
    heavenly - open boundary
    mammoth - open boundary
    alpine meadows - open boundary
    alta - open boundary
    sugar bowl - open boundary
    Brighton Resort - open boundary
    Vail resort - open boundary

the list goes on. sadly, there have been 4 deaths inbounds from avalanches at the above mentioned resorts this year, and 0 among sidecountry users.

NOTE:
    It seems the prices are fixed and are not going to go up every few months like previous Suqaw pass prices? Anybody know?

Maybe the Heav, KW, and Flatstar will drop their prices too. I hope so.[/QUOTE]

Prices valid Mar 20 - May 11 then go up incrementally. Heavenly has already dropped their pass to $329. My 6wood pass, essentially the same as the Bronze @ Squaw, was $199 this season.

Squaw is feeling the recession and is just now joining a ballgame that has worked at most Tahoe resorts for the past 5 plus years.

That's what I heard too. They had the OOBs this year and/or last year. National Geo....mmmmmm. I guess I might as well get off my ass and get to the lifts.

NOTE:

Maybe the Heav, KW, and Flatstar will drop their prices too. I hope so.
    what's with you today? Heave and Kirkwood are already less than Squaw's new pricing.

I am guessing their OOB program does not grant access to FS land. Seems like to charge extra for admission to FS land that would raise some eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    what's with you today? Heave and Kirkwood are already less than Squaw's new pricing.

I am guessing their OOB program does not grant access to FS land. Seems like to charge extra for admission to FS land that would raise some eyebrows.
    I know they are cheaper and have been for years. I'm just hoping they drop prices further so they will attract more people than Squaw. I'm being selfish and appreciate the short lines at Squaw this year

Good point on the FS land.
    Last edited by Jim S; 03-15-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Maybe Alpine will react and drop theirs even lower, don't rush to buy the Squaw Pass untill the other's react...

Than again maybe no one told Nancy yet and this will be a very limited time offer.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Jackson will never drop their pass prices. First off they have no competition as Squaw does. Second off the trustos in the Hole sneaze two grand without thinking twice about it.

Awesome. In June when Squaw melts it will look like this:

"I found a pair of Bros! Sweet!"

Hey that looks just like kirkwood, sugarbowl, alpine and sierra every spring!!

WTF are you talking about?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

squaw valley - closed boundary
    squaw is gnar and all, but the sidecountry is no more dangerous there than at the resorts below.
    snowbird - open boundary
    jackson hole - open boundary
    kirkwood - open boundary
    heavenly - open boundary
    mammoth - open boundary
    alpine meadows - open boundary
    alta - open boundary
    sugar bowl - open boundary
    Brighton Resort - open boundary
    Vail resort - open boundary

the list goes on. sadly, there have been 4 deaths inbounds from avalanches at the above mentioned resorts this year, and 0 among sidecountry users.
    I was wondering the same thing... what is so different about Squaw that makes them have a closed boundary policy and makes Jim S think it is so odd that they would ever consider it? We deal with a generally much more complex snowpack here in the interior west and open boundaries are the norm.

open boundary doesn't interest me at all, but i think it would be great. the more people riding granite and/or leaving the resort, the better.
    Still waiting...

I always thought it was because so much of Squaw is actually private property rather than leased Forest Service land. Certainly Caldwell's land off of KT falls into this category, not so sure about other boundaries, like off of Granite.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Squaw is one of few resorts on private property, a private entitiy that does not have a FS lease profiting from people accessing public property is the problem.
    If things seem in control, Your just not going fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by karma View Post
    Squaw is one of few resorts on private property, a private entitiy that does not have a FS lease profiting from people accessing public property is the problem.
    Kind of what I always thought.

Couldn't the same be said for anyone that sells a house that backs up to FS land as a perk? I don't know just honestly curious.

I guess they would have to get a permit similar to what snowmobile tour companies do to operate a business using FS land.....

But what about the cable car service in the summer? It's touted as accessing the PCT and adjacent lands.......
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by karma View Post
    I thought the problem was Squaw Valley thinking they are god.

^^^^ have you been there? They are god!

I'm conflicted now. Pass will be good for RaccoonFace but all the extra traffic will suck. Hopefully quantities are very limited and primerily to create buzz.

okbye
    Last edited by RaccoonFace; 03-15-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

The snow hill in front of Alice's Market and Keoki's gallery in the parking lot.

Awesome. In June when Squaw melts it will look like this:

"I found a pair of Bros! Sweet!"
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Hey that looks just like kirkwood, sugarbowl, alpine and sierra every spring!!

WTF are you talking about?
    Thanks for teh laugh, Jim.
    I think Jim is referring to the gaper body count if the sidecountry was opened, kidwoo.
    I think.
    He might also be referring to the potential for killing himself on those 196s he's skiing.

They are planing to sell out all of the 'limited' specials before 5/11. If the economy picks up, they will revert to old squally pricing (after 5/11). The the economy continues to suck balls, they'll have a 'special extension' due to 'huge demand' on the passes.

A good little hedge on their part. Alex would be rolling over in his grave on this one. He was a ruthless fuck.

snowbird - open boundary
    Yeah like 7 days after the last storm and better hope the sky is sunny. Snowbirds open boundary policy sucks and must be the worst in the Wasatch.

Oh well. I'll still take it I guess

Speaking of crowded, if Chicago doesn't get the bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics, Tahoe has a chance for the 2018 Winter Olympics. I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I think Jim is referring to the gaper body count if the sidecountry was opened, kidwoo.

Yeah that's what he meant. But does squaw have exclusive claim on clueless people that don't know what the hell they're doing any more than other places?

No seriously.....

Even with a cheaper pass (that let's be honest, isn't really any cheaper than the other mountains listed with OB gates), what makes squaw any more susceptible to OB stupidity?

Based on squaw's history of inbounds slides I think the OB would be safer because it doesn't come with the assumption that inbounds controlled is 'made safe'.

Quote Originally Posted by skichick View Post
    Speaking of crowded, if Chicago doesn't get the bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics, Tahoe has a chance for the 2018 Winter Olympics. I wouldn't mind seeing that.
    Ummm, no, that would suck. Many years of crazy construction headaches for a two week event that will make July 4th traffic seem like a weekday in October. I just don't think the area can handle it.
    As for Squaw's boundary policy, I'd like to think people should be responsible for their own actions, but that's not the country we live in. Perhaps with access only through gates with detailed maps and stern warnings, catastrophes can be mostly avoided. But there is a very good likelihood that people will end up in White Wolf, Granite Chief Wilderness, stranded (or buried) on Alpine Meadows Road, etc. Regardless of who will ultimately pay for rescue, the Squaw patrol will be involved. It's all accessible now, you just have to work for it.
    And as far as the pass is concerned, Alpine is going to be awesome next year.

no need for olympics here, thank you.

i don't see any way that tahoe could handle such a junk show...
    Last edited by jahroy; 03-15-2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Still waiting...

Well white wolf could make the owner of the property very rich. Unfortunately most of that zone also faces dead south and slides a lot. I wouldn't expect it to be an option. North of granite however........

And yeah....fuck the olympics. It made atlanta miserable for 2-3 years when I was in college, it made SLC miserable for years and those are large cities with alternate routes around construction. This ain't 60s no mo

Are there any places in Tahoe that are long & steep enough for a current standard Men's Downhill race course?

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Are there any places in Tahoe that are long & steep enough for a current standard Men's Downhill race course?
    Heavenly maybe

Or mt rose to washoe valley