Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Squaw Finally Caves on Pass Prices?

Just read this in the Chronicle:

Outdoors/economy: Squaw Valley cuts pass prices

Paul McHugh, Special to The Chronicle

(03-14) 16:12 PDT -- Squaw Valley, the bluest of Lake Tahoe's blue-ribbon resorts, will announce today it plans to slash cost of its season pass by nearly a thousand bucks. The heavily discounted, 2009/2010 passes go on sale Friday.

"In a way, it's an experiment," Squaw Valley's media director, Savannah Cowley, said. "It's unknown what the repercussions will be on our mountain, in terms of traffic. But the economic recession people must face now, and our celebration of a two key anniversaries at Squaw, make this exactly the right time for us to do it.

"Plus, I think it will have some mental effect on our competition," Cowley added.

The so-called value passes, which offer steep discounts on season tickets, have been all the rage in recent years. Typically, value passes cut the established prices by about two-thirds, although there are some holiday black-out dates. Some have gone on sale in spring so they can be used that spring, then throughout the following season. Often, there's a limit on the total number sold, and prices rise steeply again in the fall.

Among major resorts, only Squaw Valley and Sun Valley in Idaho have been hold-outs, according to Cowley.

That stance is now officially history, at least at Squaw. An adult full season pass at Squaw used to cost $1,449 if bought by July 15, $1,549 if bought by Sept. 1, and $1,889 if purchased afterward.

The new prices will be $369 Bronze pass (a season pass with the most blackout dates), $469 for a Silver pass (with fewer blackouts), and $949 Gold pass (completely unrestricted). They will be called "50/60" passes, denoting the 60th anniversary of the founding of the resort and 50th anniversary of the 1960 Winter Olympics, brought to this steep Sierran bowl by founder Alex Cushing.

The "50/60" passes cannot be used this spring. There is a spring pass, costing $179, and good from March 29 through May 10, or whenever afterward the resort may close due to conditions.

Squaw Valley is located south of Truckee, just off Highway 89, not far from the northwest shore of Lake Tahoe. It is famed for its scenic terrain, with a high proportion of expert runs, below towering features like Granite Chief and KT-22. It's 4,000 skiable acres are served by 34 lifts, and 2,850 feet of vertical relief descending from the 9,050-foot summit. Information: www.squaw.com.
    Not on their website yet that I could find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Hugh Conway Guest
    The recession is beginning to hurt.

Sweet! A Bronze pass and a Pink Slip pass and you're set all season for $750. I'm in.

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Well, I'll be dipped in shit.

Squaw!

Wow! It will be interesting to see the blackout dates. And to see what some of the nearby resorts do.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    So alpine is going to be pretty sweet next year, and I'll be buying atleast a bronze pass
    Last edited by VC; 03-14-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Heads Up Squaw: dirty loser incoming!
    Do you by chance happen to own a large, yellowish, very flat cat?

It's about time they clued in, and yet it sucks for those of us who really enjoyed the relative emptiness of the mountain a lot of days. Dammit.
    or don't

Yes, good and bad......

Good, because I havent bought a pass in 3 years (as it takes alot of tickets to add up to $1300).

Bad, because I thought Sunday stormy powder days were possible the best day to ski.....few people there and those there dont ski the mtn like locals do.
    Donjoy to the World!

I'm calling bullshit.

I just might head up there tomorrow and buy one, despite the fact I find it rather despicable of them to let dirtbags like me ski their mountain.

yeah, i have mixed feelings about this and i'm broke as a joke.... the place has been so dead this year i'm not surprised.

edit:

here's some info from the website:

Pass Giveaway Info

some of these deals are pretty ridiculous.

since i'm never here for xmas, i'll be able to spend $1,100 less next year to get the same pass (minus 4 blackout days). holy sheep shit!
    Last edited by jahroy; 03-14-2009 at 10:47 PM.
    Still waiting...

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by jahroy View Post
    Perks include: Invitation to 1 early up date per month
    Access to Squaw out of bounds program
    They're really trying to sweeten this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jahroy View Post
    Ski with Jonny Moseley dates
    OMG OMG OMG

JACKSON HOLE MARKETING DEPARTMENT...ARE YOU ON THE LINE?
    JERRY...YOU COPY?

OVER!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I love recessions!

Still though.....FUCK SQUAW!

See you, and everyone else, at Squaw next year!

hey squaw, you're also among the last major resorts to have a closed boundary policy. just sayin', cuz that could help with the crowds.
    but nice job on the passes. living on the south shore i would pony up for that before the heave.

Sweet, I can buy a Squaw pass again after not having one for 2 years!
    Booooo...so can everyone else in the world! Just imagine a KT storm day line now!

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    hey squaw, you're also among the last major resorts to have a closed boundary policy. just sayin', cuz that could help with the crowds.

Yep. Drope the ropes and watch 'em get buried. That'll control the crowds and decrease the lift lines.

Holy shit!

Platinum $1499

Valid 7 days a week beginning November 20 through the end of the season

Perks include:

Invitation to 1 early up date per month

Access to Squaw out of bounds program

Ski with Jonny Moseley dates

2 complimentary Adult All Day lift tickets

10 FREE Adult group lessons

Hosted passholder party

20% off Squaw Valley retail purchases

FREE 10 Wax Card

4 vouchers for $20 off an Adult All Day lift ticket

Summer Cable Car with purchase by May 11
    Youth/Senior $1,099
    (ages 13-22 & 65-75)
    Child $349
    (12 and under)
    Gold $949

Valid 7 days a week beginning November 20 through the end of the season

Perks include:

4 vouchers for $20 off an Adult All Day lift ticket

4 FREE Adult group lessons

15% off Squaw Valley retail purchases

Hosted passholder party

Summer Cable Car with purchase by May 11
    Youth/Senior $749
    (ages 13-22, 65-75)
    Child $299
    (12 and under)

Silver $469

Valid 7 days a week beginning November 20

Not valid December 27, 2009-January 2, 2010, January 16-17, February 13-14

Includes FREE night skiing/riding
    Youth/Senior $369
    (ages 13-22, 65-75)
    Child $199
    (12 and under)
    Last edited by Jim S; 03-15-2009 at 09:48 AM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

This is actually shitty news for those of us that love to ski Squaw with no crowds....the days of 2 people every 5th KT chair might be coming to an end..

Got a spam email from squaw last night about this. Pretty tempting.

Anyone know what the "Access to Squaw out of bounds program" means?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Yep. Drope the ropes and watch 'em get buried. That'll control the crowds and decrease the lift lines.
    And yes, thats what they should do. Its public land, we're adults. Charge for rescues if it costs too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Got a spam email from squaw last night about this. Pretty tempting.

The snow hill in front of Alice's Market and Keoki's gallery in the parking lot.

And yes, thats what they should do. Its public land, we're adults. Charge for rescues if it costs too much.
    Awesome. In June when Squaw melts it will look like this:

"I found a pair of Bros! Sweet!"
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    It's a bit of BS. Last I heard you get to go out Silvy canyon towards the lower part of lemming ridge to the parking lot. From what I understand they are NOT taking people in to Nat Geo bowl. Nat Geo bowl is still accessed via the "do it your self out of bounds program".

Quote Originally Posted by GreenRun View Post
    It's a bit of BS. Last I heard you get to go out Silvy canyon towards the lower part of lemming ridge to the parking lot. From what I understand they are NOT taking people in to Nat Geo bowl. Nat Geo bowl is still accessed via the "do it your self out of bounds program".
    That's what I heard too. They had the OOBs this year and/or last year. National Geo....mmmmmm. I guess I might as well get off my ass and get to the lifts.

NOTE:
    It seems the prices are fixed and are not going to go up every few months like previous Suqaw pass prices? Anybody know?

Maybe the Heav, KW, and Flatstar will drop their prices too. I hope so.
    Last edited by Jim S; 03-15-2009 at 09:43 AM.

After 27 years of skiing the Tahoe Sierra and having passes a Sugar Bowl, Mt. Rose, Alpine, or Kirkwood for about 23 of those years I will be joining the snobs at Squaw. Must say I'm psyched to have the opportunity to have a pass there but real apprehensive about what the crowds will be like. Then again for $369 who cares plus I'll still have the unrestricted Mt Rose pass..

I know of at least 8-10 people who will jump on this. It could be very busy.

Damn it's going to be a great winter!!

Thank you Squaw Valley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Greenrun, having every chair at KT with someone on it is better than an idle chairlift.