Open Fracture Tibia/Fibula

My season came to a crashing halt 2/15. I was skiing 3 weeks after a torn right calf muscle and doing well at Loveland on the blues. That was the problem, I was doing well and got the bright idea of going up the Ridge. First two runs ok, then on the third, it was soft at the top/steep part (Patrol Bowl) and a bunch of leftover avalanche debris at the bottom. Piece of advice: Do not hit debris at 35mph and do windmills.

Loveland Ski Patrol did a magnificient job getting me off the mountain, into the ambulance and getting me to the Level One Trauma center. I guess bone isn't supposed to stick out of the skin

It was interesting getting around when my right calf hadn't fully healed - finally am comfortable with that.

Hope everyone had better luck than me this season.

Wow....I was expecting to see an external fixator.
    Did they plate or IM rod you?
    Good luck with the crutches and the the couch time.
    ...and doood. Keep those wound sites effing immaculate!
    Post your films.

Based on the scars they rodded 'im....heal up for next year!

Yes I have a titanium rod. The x-ray from 3/13 shows how things look with it in place. I got the all clear on my wounds to shower without protection - they scabbed up nicely. Doc says I'll be skiing next season
    Last edited by nomadpat; 03-25-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Better quality photos

I got that same rod 2.5 weeks ago. Plus a couple of bonus screws in my medial malleolus (ankle). Good times.

What're your thoughts on leaving it in/taking it out at this point? I've been having an internal debate on that for the last few days. Don't have to decide for a while in that I probably wouldn't get it out until after next season (probably May 2010 at the earliest), but it's been in my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I haven't thought about the rod being in or out at this point Scutski. I've just been reading about the pros/cons and will ask my doc later on his opinion. It seemed they were leaning towards it staying in at the hospital. But I like your idea of waiting until after next season to decide. Heal up man!

Wow, I missed this the first time around. Heal up fast & well!!!!!!

For those curious, here are things before surgery.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by nomadpat View Post
    For those curious, here are things before surgery.

Thanks for the well wishes!
    Yuck. Yours is cleaner than mine is though. Lucky.

P.S.- Spoke with a buddy of mine who is a grad school classmate. Apparently he was hit by a car in a crosswalk in 2002. Basically half of the things on the right side of his body were broken, including the tibia. He had the rod removed in 2006. Said he was on crutches for a week or so, and running a month later. His rationale was basically that he didn't want any future complications in terms of breaks and whatnot, and something about it causing or exacerbating arthritis. And it was an easy surgery in his opinion, so he had it done while he was young (20s).

Some food for thought. Hope the recovery is continuing well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUTSKI View Post
    Said he was on crutches for a week or so, and running a month later. His rationale was basically that he didn't want any future complications in terms of breaks and whatnot, and something about it causing or exacerbating arthritis. And it was an easy surgery in his opinion, so he had it done while he was young (20s).

Some food for thought. Hope the recovery is continuing well.
    yup I ran into this very situation

3 screws in my ankle back in 97 would have possibly interfered with inserting a rod in my tib in 02 so the pro's said they would have to hold my tib togetehr with a plate instead of the rod

so I got all the hardware out as soon as was possible but there is still one screw stuck in there for good

Wow! Looks like a pretty rugged injury. I'm sure getting down the mountain afterwards was pretty rough. I know it was for me when I broke my forearm in a similar way (open, displaced) back in 1999. Getting packaged up and in the sled was the worst part. Kudos to patrol for getting you down. Best of luck to you and hopefully you have a quick, easy, and full recovery.