Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Headed out Californee Way... (Squaw Mar 20-24)

Yep, Californee Way. Hea' they got some good snow out theya.

I'll be with my pops for the first few days, and it would be excellent if someone with some know-how would be kind enough to show me some real-life versions of what's in Squallywood.

We'll be staying in the village, and I'll be up early for powder days (hoping there are some). Shoot me a PM for a telephone number, and I'd be happy to buy beer and/or nachos.

Gettin' psyched. Squaw seems... fun.

(To refine: I'm staying in Squaw Thurs-Sat nights and will thus be skiing to and from the hotel room Fri-Sun, and I'll be relying on a ride from Truckee from my benevolent friend to ski Monday and Tuesday.)
    Last edited by Deep Days; 03-12-2009 at 08:53 AM.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Squaw is fun, so is Kirkwood Id do at least one South Shore day.

I dont know Squaw so I cant help there, but if you do K-wood I can..
    Hello darkness my old friend

PM Hayduke
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    I'll be with my pops for the first few days, and it would be excellent if someone with some know-how would be kind enough to show me some real-life versions of what's in Squallywood.

We'll be staying in the village, and I'll be up early for powder days (hoping there are some). Shoot me a PM for a telephone number, and I'd be happy to buy beer and/or nachos.

Gettin' psyched. Squaw seems... fun.

North Shore sucks, south shore trucks!!

JK, ever stared down an actual elevator shaft??
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

That's the weekend of the NAFC at Kirkwood so It's worth the trip if it is sunny.

Headed out Californee Way... (Squaw Mar 20-24)
    Is it gay ski week again?

PM me if you're going to try Alpine.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Is it gay ski week again?
    I think it's the annual Beaters Anonymous Rally.

Drop a line if you're in the 'Wood, Goose.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

You should totally drop beck's and show up that pussy racoon.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

PM me if you're going to try Alpine.
    Likewise. (And you too, irul...)
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedad View Post
    Likewise. (And you too, irul...)
    I was there last Thurs!!!
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

You should get your ass here a few days early and compete at Kirkwood.

I'll be at the comp all weekend, but I'll see about getting up to Squaw on the 23rd.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

North Shore

your staying at Squaw (Good move)

Hey Max. Give us contact info when you are close to getting here. Like to meet ya. You seem like a cool Colorado dude that we would like to meet.
    Last edited by MTT; 03-11-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    I'll be there... I'm pretty much there everyday, and more than happy to show a mag around. Shoot me a PM when it gets close.

Squaw's awesome! I'm partial cuz my parents met there so I owe my life to the place. KT-22's the best. Just make sure you don't ski the west face on an icy day unless you're a mogul ace. Have fun!

oh headed out californee way, hear they got internet out there
    yes its true you are a good woman, then again you may be the antichrist
    08/09-- i quit counting

I was there last Thurs!!!
    Yeah, fuck you too. Signed, someone who wasn't.

Not going up this weekend, but going next.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbum View Post
    Glad someone got the reference.

MTT and kiedasch: duly noted. Thanks be to you, sirs. I'll post up in here and send out the appropriate PMs next week. Thanks for the replies.

Darn sure wish I were trying to get there via automobile. Got me a voucher for a free plane ticket, so I can't complain, but without a rental car I'm more or less restricted to Squallywood... Unless I can find a ride from Truckee on Monday or Tuesday. After staying in Squaw proper Thurs-Sat nights, I'll be making the move to a cohort's house in Truckee for Sun-Tues nights. He skis Squaw exclusively, so going to K-wood with him would be tough.

Anybody know if there's some kind of shuttle/bus/reasonable and feasible way to get from Truckee to Kirkwood and back? Watching part of the compatitty would be sweet, but I'd even settle for just skiing there, particularly considering that I've actually learned how to make a turn since I was last there.

And who can confirm the awesomeness that is Jalisco's?
    -Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    I'll be at the comp all weekend, but I'll see about getting up to Squaw on the 23rd.
    You competing? Its my buds B-day weekend, so we will be cruising the zone, doing a little viewing. Wish I was skiing the Cirque... legally.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbum View Post
    You coming by KW again? Give a PM and maybe we can Blitzkrieg the Saddle again with a Mag force.

Anybody know if there's some kind of shuttle/bus/reasonable and feasible way to get from Truckee to Kirkwood and back?
    How big is your thumb and cleavage? The only public transport from Truckee to KW is a kind Samaritan with room for skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    You competing? Its my buds B-day weekend, so we will be cruising the zone, doing a little viewing. Wish I was skiing the Cirque... legally.
    Yeah I'm competing. We'll see if I make it to the Cirque.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

without a rental car I'm more or less restricted to Squallywood...
    Alpine runs shuttles from both Squaw and Truckee.

Just bought a new A/V cable for the POV1, so I am ready to ROCK.

Some questions, though...

1) What are some favored groomers for the old man to ski? He's coming off a total knee last January and hasn't been on skis in 5 years, but he used to be comfortable on blue runs (except for rowdy moguls). Something to help him get back in the saddle (maybe "Saddle"?) and just have some good fun in his two days of skiing would be great.

2) What's the snow like? Any particular areas to keep in mind as I browse through "Squallywood" on the plane? I wanna ski some more open multi-stager stuff and make big turns to clean, moderate-size airs, but these won't be that likely to happen if the snow's real rough, or if low coverage makes normally fun 25-footers into huge, sketchy 50-footers. (I know, it's silly to have such a focused mindset on what fun stuff I wanna ski, but some pointers would be very much appreciated in case I end up on my own without guidance.)

3) Other than the top of Mainline lift, are there some good groomers/unloading zones from which to view skiing on gnarlier terrain? My pops wants to see me ski some of the stuff I've told him about, but I'm not even sure he can get into chopped-up powder (he's pretty nervous about the knee). Coordinating this stuff with him on the chairlift would be tough, too, so some stationary viewing areas would be a good thing to know...

4) Any suggestions in Squaw village for where to get a good meal that a college student wouldn't normally get? i.e., a "nicer" place? To be honest, I'm almost as stoked to eat good food as I am to ski sweet terrain.

5) Anybody wanna go skiing on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday? MTT, you've got a PM incoming, but any other takers would be kewl. I'll be up on the hill with my dad Friday and Saturday, too, and I'll be alternating between skiing what I consider fun and what he considers fun. It's been 5 years since I've ridden a chair with him, so I'm (obviously) stoked.

Thanks for the input! I'm gonna go watch Immersion. I'm giddy.
    Last edited by Deep Days; 03-15-2009 at 06:17 PM.
    -Jimi Hendrix

1) What are some favored groomers for the old man to ski? He's coming off a total knee last January and hasn't been on skis in 5 years, but he used to be comfortable on blue runs (except for rowdy moguls). Something to help him get back in the saddle (maybe "Saddle"?) and just have some good fun in his two days of skiing would be great.
    Saddle is the easiest way off KT, but it's on the steeper side, black rather than blue. Most runs off Gold Coast should fit the bill, and perhaps Shirley Lake. Once he gains confidence, I'd suggest trying the groomer into Silverado, from which he can watch you shred the gnar.

4) Any suggestions in Squaw village for where to get a good meal that a college student wouldn't normally get? i.e., a "nicer" place?
    Plumpjack rocks.

Just bought a new A/V cable for the POV1, so I am ready to ROCK.

Some questions, though...

What AD said: Gold Coast area, Shirley, and Emigrant. Mountain run works too, but it tends to get crowded in late afternoon so bear that in mind.

2) What's the snow like? Any particular areas to keep in mind as I browse through "Squallywood" on the plane? I wanna ski some more open multi-stager stuff and make big turns to clean, moderate-size airs, but these won't be that likely to happen if the snow's real rough, or if low coverage makes normally fun 25-footers into huge, sketchy 50-footers. (I know, it's silly to have such a focused mindset on what fun stuff I wanna ski, but some pointers would be very much appreciated in case I end up on my own without guidance.)
    I'll defer to others on that as I'm laid up and not skiing at the moment.

3) Other than the top of Mainline lift, are there some good groomers/unloading zones from which to view skiing on gnarlier terrain? My pops wants to see me ski some of the stuff I've told him about, but I'm not even sure he can get into chopped-up powder (he's pretty nervous about the knee). Coordinating this stuff with him on the chairlift would be tough, too, so some stationary viewing areas would be a good thing to know...
    You have a copy of Squallywood, right? There's a great chapter in there about viewing areas. I'd consult that.

4) Any suggestions in Squaw village for where to get a good meal that a college student wouldn't normally get? i.e., a "nicer" place? To be honest, I'm almost as stoked to eat good food as I am to ski sweet terrain.
    Plumpjack is the "nicest." Mamasake has great sushi.

5) Anybody wanna go skiing on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday? MTT, you've got a PM incoming, but any other takers would be kewl. I'll be up on the hill with my dad Friday and Saturday, too, and I'll be alternating between skiing what I consider fun and what he considers fun. It's been 5 years since I've ridden a chair with him, so I'm (obviously) stoked.

Thanks for the input! I'm gonna go watch Immersion. I'm giddy.
    I'd love to meet up with you, but like I said, I'm gimped up. You're going to have a good time. I just chatted with my folks on the phone and my sister had just gotten off the hill. She reported windy, cold, wet, and snowy on Donner Summit. I think they'll get a few inches out of the system going through right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacramento NWS Office
    INCREASING CHANCES OF PRECIPITATION FROM FRIDAY THROUGH THE WEEKEND AS A COLD FRONT IS EXPECTED TO SWING THROUGH NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. GFS AND ECMWF STILL HAVE SOME TIMING ISSUES FOR THE FRONT`S ARRIVAL AND CONFIDENCE IS LOW AS TO WHEN THE BULK OF SHOWERS WILL OCCUR. SNOW LEVELS WILL STILL BE HIGH ON THURSDAY AND LOWER OVER THE WEEKEND...ESTIMATES AT THIS TIME DOWN TO 4000-5000 FEET.
    ^^^ Looks good man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Sick. Just watched Immersion and 1999. And I looked at the chapter on viewing areas--thanks for the tip. Thanks also for the sushi recommendation. I'm having withdrawals for fishes...

Holy CRAP is there a lot to jump off of.
    -Jimi Hendrix

One last bump. My home boy can't ski until Monday, so some ski companions would be a good thing Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday.

Give me a shout. 303 seven-four-eight, 4337.
    -Jimi Hendrix