Thread: SW Fly Line

SW Fly Line

I'm looking for a new floating 8wt. line for salt water and i'm considering these from Scientific Angler.

Specifically deciding between
    Sharkskin: http://www.bearsden.com/product6720.html
    and
    Next level down: http://www.bearsden.com/product304.html

Anyone have any experience, or think the difference would be noticeable...$30 worth of noticeable?

Other suggestions are welcome....8wt, floating, used in SW only, likely windy conditions, beaches & salt ponds.

ThankS!
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Why the Floater? I've found that an intermidate stripped quickly can work just as well?
    I carry an intermediate and fast sink for NE salt fishing.

Can't say from experience but I've heard good things about that Sharkskin line.

Jebus fly lines have gotten expensive.

been looking for line myself for stillwater. All suggestions I have heard for stripping was to not go with the sharkskin if primarily stripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    Why the Floater? I've found that an intermidate stripped quickly can work just as well?
    I carry an intermediate and fast sink for NE salt fishing.
    My experience with an intermediate sink is that if I'm throwing topwater and give it a few pops and pause for a bit, the next pop is more of drag back to the surface.

Also, if I'm fishing really shallow, waist to shin deep, I've found that a "strip strip long pause" works for getting attention and keeping the fly at the right level without having to worry about the line falling. Its one less thing to think about when playing a fish.

I guess i should look more closely at the sinking rates per...however it's measured, but this is why I was thinking floating.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

there are a few good deals at my local shop on sw 8 wt lines I'll check on em and get back.

I thought the sharkskin didn't float, and got dirty and stopped working the micropockets and such?? I used airflow cold salt inter-sinking.
    Harvest the ride.

Rio Outbound short.

Finally got around to casting the sharkskin, while nice, definitely not worth the $30+ extra.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

I thought I wouldn't like the sharkskin. I borrowed one for a weekend. I liked it. It's loud when stripping, but I liked the stiffness (under cool conditions, fall in Maine) a lot. It shot just fine, and was decently easy to get accuracy with.

rio outbound "short " hover or the new rio pike line.

the hover stuff from rio sits just a inch or so under the surface.
    Last edited by Andy_B; 03-12-2009 at 06:15 PM.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.