Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I knew about the Zion Curtain but who did not send me the "Nutshell" memo.

the skiing is so so so good. and I love my friends here. I love all you guys if you're reading this, I love you guys, you're awesome.

one more thing: conversation with native utah inactive-lds date after dark side of the moon included this indicative exchange:
    me: "I think pink floyd is genius. All that wisdom about life and people and the human condition with amazing music. The light show honestly almost sullies it, I think I actually enjoy it more just laying down at home with my eyes close. What did you think of Dark Side"

her: "I think they do too many drugs"

me: "I think they probably did just about the right amount, given the music they produced"

her: "ok whatever"

me: "and you know no drug really makes a dumb person smarter, those guys had the ability to create that, and maybe acid released some of that creativity, or steered it, but genius is genius, and that album is an expression of genius to me."

her: "it just seems like drug stuff"

awesome.

it's just an ambient attitude of willful misunderstanding here.
    I dislike that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    ambient attitude of willful misunderstanding
    That would make a great album title...for some drugged out stoner band.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

the skiing is so so so good. and I love my friends here. I love all you guys if you're reading this, I love you guys, you're awesome.

one more thing: conversation with native utah inactive-lds date after dark side of the moon included this indicative exchange:
    me: "I think pink floyd is genius. All that wisdom about life and people and the human condition with amazing music. The light show honestly almost sullies it, I think I actually enjoy it more just laying down at home with my eyes close. What did you think of Dark Side"

me: "I think they probably did just about the right amount, given the music they produced"

her: "ok whatever"

me: "and you know no drug really makes a dumb person smarter, those guys had the ability to create that, and maybe acid released some of that creativity, or steered it, but genius is genius, and that album is an expression of genius to me."

her: "it just seems like drug stuff"

awesome.

it's just an ambient attitude of willful misunderstanding here.
    I dislike that a lot.
    Mormons have this social structure of us vs. them.

If something differs from their conservative upbringing, they look at said entity as being freakish or evil.

Most of them not only try NOT to understand that which is different, but they reinforce their IGNORANCE by turning their back on it.

So each generation continues life with their head in the sand like the last.

The LDS church is extremely successful this way.

^^statutory rape^^
    That's not rape.

who said that

I was going to call everyone a bunch of whiners and such, but SLC is an odd place in some ways and if you're not into it, you're not into it. I've thought about leaving, but I feel like I have it pretty damn good here. I think people are way off base complaining about a "police state" and bullshit like that, I think the police are quite low key here. The social scene is definitely clichey, and people can be stand-offish and awkward at first, that would be my main complaint. It's kind of a secondary effect of the mormon thing, there are so many mormons, ex-mormons, people who grew up here and are weird because of it, everybody is busy sizing new people up and act weird because of that, myself included sometimes. The weird bar scene and lack of bars outside of the downtown area hurts socializing too. You've gotta balance that out with living in a big but not huge sized city with real jobs, incredibly close to skiing and climbing, being the road trip hub of the West, an agreeable climate and cheap rent/mortgages. Giving up the ability to have half days skiing and climbing would be a big deal for me, and I've made a lot of friends over the years. I could see leaving, but I'd need a good reason to move.

On a side note, I remember going to the planetarium years ago for the laser light show, and I remember the two cops standing in the hall. I thought it was unusual then, and I still think it's unusual. I wouldn't be surprised if the planetarium specifically requested them, since they're still there after all these years. I wasn't harassed for having dilated pupils.

Quote Originally Posted by gramps View Post
    It's ALL a secondary effect of the mormon thing,
    fixed it for you

touche....

LittleYellowFriend Guest
    Ha, Pink Floyd sucks balls. If you think otherwise you are on drugs!

Big man, pig man, ha ha charade you are.
    You well heeled big wheel, ha ha charade you are.
    And when your hand is on your heart,
    You're nearly a good laugh,
    Almost a joker,
    With your head down in the pig bin,
    Saying "Keep on digging."
    Pig stain on your fat chin.
    What do you hope to find.
    When you're down in the pig mine.
    You're nearly a laugh,
    You're nearly a laugh
    But you're really a cry.

Smokey McPole Guest

I can settle this:

Syd Barrett did way too many drugs.

Rodger Waters smoked a little pot and did acid a couple times - his being a complete self-absorbed asshole has nothing to do with drugs.

Dave Gilmour did a lot of drugs and is probably much better for it.

Rick Wright did a lot of drugs - and he's DEAD now.

Nick Mason isn't really that great of a drummer.

...could have sworn Pigs was on Animals, not Meddle.

Brother - you just gotta quit masturbating to Speak To Me. That sets the cops on you every time.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    He lives in Canadia but feels pretty free to criticize, I don't quite get it.

We both grew up (not the whole time, but for a long time) in the same town, odd.
    I went to the U of U and lived in SLC for 5 yrs. I highly doubt you would harbor the same good feeling for Utah if you had lived there fresh out of HS from the land of Masshole. Staying up the canyon a few weeks a year doesn't qualify you to know shit about living in Utah. You don't have to worry about the neighborhood meth lab blowing up at Sorrydude.

As far as living in Canada goes... well I'd bet theres way more dope smokers and far less crime than Utah. The speerhead traverse off W/B is bigger than the entire Wasatch front with a fraction of the skiers. You do the math. Call me what you want, but I'm pretty stoked right where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    The 2 best days for anyone who has lived in SLC are the day you arrive and the day you leave. I left, moved to Boston and happily skied the ice coast after putting up with the facism for 5 years. Everytime I go back for a visit, it only takes a couple of days before I want to get the hell out of there.
    Ditto. I have very visceral memories of both. Packing a 28ft Uhaul in 102deg weather from a 3rd floor apt was one of the easiest things I've ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    Even if it was, Moab is just as close to us in the mountains of Colorado.
    Fruita and Durango. Fuck Moab.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Not to interrupt the whole CO vs. UT vibe here, but I think folks should remember that there are a lot of reasons to live somewhere, and it's all about finding a balance. Sometimes those reasons aren't the most rational, but are purely emotional. I can see myself moving back to VT someday because I grew up there and it is home to me, not because it has the most rad-tastic skiing/mt biking/kayaking.

Also, for people who are saying "If you don't like it gtfo" this country is already suffering too much from like-minded people living together in the same place and not having any sort of meaningful interaction with people that are different than them. Every person has the right to be unhappy with the circumstances of the society they are living with. If your only options are following along like a happy sheep or leaving, doesn't really leave much room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    Mormons have this social structure of us vs. them.
    Believe me, it works the other way too with 50% of the people in SLC being non-Mormon. I have friends here that won't hire Mormons and/or have fired Mormons because they are sick of their lifestyle....even thought they were hard working, nice and competent.

Now I think about it, my friends are assholes.

Seriously though fuck the mormons and their fucking gestapo of mormon cop fucks. I have never had a run in with police in my life, except for almost every time I have visited Utah. Been cuffed up, ruffed up, harassed, and belittled by brainwashed fucks who are to fucking stupid to see they are brainwashed fucks. I have never been arrested, because I never committed any crimes, but that didn't prevent me from spending a lot of time in the back of a cruiser, at the station, or evicted by cops on X mass eve. Ive had my rights violated in almost every way possible. Why so much trouble you ask....I look a bit little nuts. Thats my crime. So fuck you mormons. Wake the fuck up you brainwashed fucking idiots. End rant.

P.S. Dont get me wrong, its all about the aina, and the aina is goooood. Be there in a week.
    Not doing my job right now

Ya, Utah sucks a fucking dick.

The skiing isn't even that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Prohohater
    So fuck you mormons. Wake the fuck up you brainwashed fucking idiots. End rant.
    It's really fucking weak to hate on an entire religion, regardless of what specific individuals who subscribe to that religion have done to you.

Sorry dude, i was born there and raised by a couple of those mormon fucks. You have to try harder than that to get the hate out.
    Not doing my job right now

since i live in SLC, i feel that i need to get in some more words on the semi annual "utah sucks stupid mormons" vs "we have better skiing than colorado" thread. hey, speaking of pink floyd, do the kids still take acid these days? i thought i read somewhere that the supplier of the majority of the US supply got busted. couple that with the fact that it's all about ecstacy these days, and i have this feeling that no one does acid anymore. that's a shame. did anyone in this thread mention that the desert would 'probably' be a great place to take acid? what about peyote? seems appropriate. someone was slamming on those fast food joints on every corner in utah. have you ever tried a pastrami burger? i think those are a utah thing, and they are fanfuckingtastic. as is fry sauce, though it took me a while to warm up to it. did the sun warm up the snow too much today? i didn't get out, but am hoping to dawn patrol tomorrow. i was wondering if west faces would be crusty or if east would still be sketchy? anybody want to chime in? anybody else have trouble waking up for dawn patrol with our new daylight savings hours? it doesn't seem that we're actually saving any daylight. i think the lawyers just switched up the hours - i.e. they now call 5:00 6:00 and 7:00 8:00, but if you do the math, there are the same number of daylight hours in dday. i think it's better to take acid during the day, though not in the desert. that's wayyyyyyy too hot. some say mormon girls are hot, but i disagree. most of them just don't do it for me, blonde hair notwithstanding. whoa. think i just thought of something. time to chime out . great thread. colorado sucks. they don't get shit for snow. comeon, admit it. they' really don't get it. look at a-basin mid winter, it's fucking brown from hte ridges to the gut of hte bowl. brown brown brown. wo. ten youseethe whitee. butnoteve n that dep. maybe if daylight savings is too much for the lawsyer, theyu couldbmakeutsjnowinmorein colodadao. more. mcuh nore. then i'dmorev themre andksi that skitallday. though colorado is not steep enough.
    werd

Quote Originally Posted by ProHoHater View Post
    Sorry dude, i was born there and raised by a couple of those mormon fucks. You have to try harder than that to get the hate out.
    seeing your parents fucking scars anyone. sorry to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powdurr View Post
    Ya, Utah sucks a fucking dick.

The skiing isn't even that great.
    ever had your dicksuckd while skiing? i haven't, but i bet it'd be boss.

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    Fruita and Durango. Fuck Moab.
    fuck fruit