tahoe area question

is there a standard name for the steep descent off the east side of hyw 50 down into christmas valley on the tahoe side of echo pass? is that area considered part of the "no backcountry travel" zone like the face above 50? i always see tracks there but assumed it was probably illegal. not that i have any serious intent of riding it and risking starting a slide into someone's yard.... i was more just trying to find a name i could use to search for other people's stories and photos...
    when the laughing dies down i'm always the one who has to face the facts

no standard name, maybe illegal and tresspassing and probably no posts about it

it's probably good to go though

this is an awesome time to drop that for fresh tracks... super safe.
    Last edited by Imz; 03-04-2009 at 07:12 PM.

I wouldn't know what else to call it except Echo Summit.

Although I've had recurring visions of hucking off this bridge for a while now. Maybe it's finally filling in enough to be a real consideration soon compared to it's more typical sun affected low snow state. (Note: this is not a Raccoonface type TGR callout)

You should go for it though. You could just do road laps all day there with your buddies.
    Last edited by Gerome; 03-04-2009 at 05:44 PM.

there were at least four tracks last time i drove up the grade (before this storm cycle). due to the questionable legality of this run, maybe it would be better to start in the trees just south of echo summit instead of from the road. one could even do a combo run starting at sierra, hit the benwood cliffs and then this......
    when the laughing dies down i'm always the one who has to face the facts

Gimpy and Sierra Cement will have a name for it. I used to call it Upper Meyers.

No real legality issues. On big dump days it usually looks like a ski resort. it get ridden quite a bit. there were actually 4 lines on it this morning on may way out to Kirkwood, around 11:30.
    Snow Flake Killer

Quote Originally Posted by bs View Post
    is that area considered part of the "no backcountry travel" zone like the face above 50? .
    It is Illegal. People have been ticketed.