Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How high can you bunnyhop?

I don't ride bikes much anymore, but this evening my 3-year-old was out on her trcycle and I was dinking around on Bluey and asked her, "hey Parker, want me to bunnyhop over your bike?"

"Daaaaad, you're so silly. That's not a bunny."

I wasn't gonna let some 3-year-old tell me my bike's not a bunny, so I tried it and made it. I was more surprised than she was, but then she ran into the garage and started finding stuff out for me to "bunny" over.

Made if over a longboard longways (upside down), bunch of beach toys, and and almost made it over the back wheel of Mrs Frizzo's mountain bike (though I yoinked so hard I was also totally out of control and nearly died).

Not bad for a 36-year-old father of 2.

So what kind of ups you got, beyotches?

J-

(Clipless don't count...that shit's gat.)
    Last edited by jayfrizzo; 03-03-2009 at 09:00 PM.

If I had my Wheaties in the morning, about 36" to flat or 30" to a manual. If there is a bank involved, watch out. My 3 months as a wannabe trials rider helped a bit.

Not too high. Though my holy shit im going to die bunny hop has cleared some impressive stuff.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Haven't spent much time trying in a long time. Back when I was in my prime (and spent a bit too much time doing trialsy shit), I was probably about the same as beast. I could hop up onto the top of most picnic tables pretty consistently, and I could get normal height loading docks some of the time. And for whatever its worth, I think that I can probably get higher with flat pedals than with clipless - the clips mess me up.

I have no idea what I can get these days, but I'm sure its a fraction of what it used to be.

probably about 2-2.5 feet right now with a dirt jump bike with flat pedals

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Though my holy shit im going to die bunny hop has cleared some impressive stuff.
    Yeah there's something to that for sure.

I've definitely cleared things when getting off my line on a trail that I could never do in a parking lot on a bet.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

apparently, not high enough

wait, you bunny hopped your kid?
    Why can't I bunny for the life of me? is it something that requires abs, 'cause I don't have those?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

advres Guest
    Can't give a max height on a bike but when I was younger I was always trying to see how high I could ollie on a skateboard. When I was 16-17 I could consistently ollie over a 55 gallon garbage barrel that was placed upside down. They stand about 33" tall. World record is 45". I am was way off, but not too shabby.

That's a good ollie, Ad. I could always ollie a skateboard higher than I could bunnyhop, but I skated a bunch before getting into bikes.

There was a dude I worked with in college who would bunnyhop up and manual across picnic tables, about 2" from people's books wh were studying. He was a little...excessive. I feel like he even hopped over a coulpe...he was bananas.

J-

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfrizzo View Post
    That's a good ollie, Ad. I could always ollie a skateboard higher than I could bunnyhop, but I skated a bunch before getting into bikes.
    Thanks! Yeah I could always ollie higher too. I could get onto most rails on my Fit but that is onto the dropouts with pegs/pedals and not over. Trying to go over rails on my bike usually ended up in disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post

I almost sprayed soda all over my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post

Expect a call from PETA.

I can bunny hop pretty high. There is a point when I'm too high though and then I just get lethargic. It's like playing pool when drinking...there is definitely a sweet spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by jayfrizzo View Post
    I wasn't gonna let some 3-year-old tell me my bike's not a bunny, so I tried it and made it.
    damn near sig-worthy...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

About -1", my level of trials suckage is a sight to see.

We used to bunny hop over my dad's lawnmower when I was a kid. (it was a push mower) Garbage cans and road cones came into the picture too. I tried a fire hydrant once and failed miserably landing in the mud.

I can comfortably clear small logs about 2' high on my best days. But that's it. I just ain't got the ups.

Anyone see Crux at the Banff film festival this year? Leech is incredible.

I can bunny hop pretty high. There is a point when I'm too high though and then I just get lethargic.
    And that's just plain funny.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I can bunny hop pretty high. There is a point when I'm too high though and then I just get lethargic. It's like playing pool when drinking...there is definitely a sweet spot.
    Awesome.

Feelin a little high

Meh...bunny hop. That's easy shit.

Can you surge-hop??? <-- While balancing/hopping on the rear wheel, simultaneously pedal stroke and hop forward. I've been trying to get this for years without much success.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    Meh...bunny hop. That's easy shit.

Can you surge-hop??? <-- While balancing/hopping on the rear wheel, simultaneously pedal stroke and hop forward. I've been trying to get this for years without much success.
    try hopping / balancing on the rear wheel, and then give a little kick on the pedals (without trying to leave the ground) to get you rolling forward, so you're now doing a manual. Then try to stop without putting your front wheel down. That'll help your brake timing and your body positioning. Once you've got that dialed, start going for the hop.

Let me first say, that is a damn fine bunny hop. Especially for a 36 yo father of 2. I'm guessing there's some more height in there somewhere...

On a stock trials bike...about 36" and maybe a little more on a mod bike. On a 29er MTB, maybe 28" on a good day.

If it is an up to a back wheel landing...maybe about 40".
    If I can use the front wheel to cheat a little...

Rode trials for years. Vastly improves the slow-speed bike handling skillz...now about that "surge hop".

EDIT: Broke out the tape measure...
    Last edited by NlytendOne; 03-04-2009 at 03:48 PM.

aka pedal kick?

I think the easiest way to learn it is to think about feathering your brake with forward foot already tensioning the drivetrain. As in, lock rear brake, rock your entire body back to pull front wheel up, just as front end begins to drop back down ease off rear brake and allow forward foot to ratchet.

It's hard to do with rear suspension because the balance point constantly changes. And easier if your levers are set up for one finger braking. And less scary with flat pedals than SPD.

It's also not particularly useful for trail riding. Bunny hopping at speed is way cooler and more commiting than trials-ing up it. Though if its uber-tech, trials-ing up is better than a hike a bike.
    Last edited by The Gnarwhale; 03-04-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gnarwhale View Post
    aka pedal kick?

It's also not particularly useful for trail riding. Bunny hopping at speed is way cooler and more commiting than trials-ing up it. Though if its uber-tech, trials-ing up is better than a hike a bike.
    I consistently use a pedal kick on certain lines and stunts, especially those that I scope out or build. Very often, after they fail to clean it, I get the look of "what kind of line is that" from FR types with little technical riding background. On my old Stinker 5x5, it was the only way to ride some of the lines without losing my testicles...

The look is priceless, and I sometimes think that I was put here on earth to instill the worthiness of the pedal kick into all types of mountain riding.

I have the feeling I'd like the trails you build. And admittedly I still use my bag of trials tricks.

But unless you're riding up those stunts I have a hard time picturing no-speed rear wheel hopping being the flowiest way through. Pictures?