Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    oh, and my goal is to paddle whitewater again, and surf as well. if i can strap on a snowboard again that would be nice but i dunno about the torque placed on the hip capsule that happens when bailing. and i used to crash quite often. but a friend who's had both sports hernias fixed and the bilateral fai scopes started riding again with no problems. the surf only irritates him occasionally when the waves are bigger.

I zapped mine over seven years now, anybody know donut hole in Brighton. I was able to rebate that line a year later, I aired them damn thing that time. Most pain I was ever in. I was lucky though, my rehab was only about six weeks, still sucked though!!!! Good luck hommie

wow,

finally found some young people that have had the same as me..
    I dislocated my hip 4 weeks ago and i still have to be with crutches for the next two weeks.. After that physical therapy for a long time

It wasnt all that sensasional as with you guys.. Mine popped out when i got tackled during a snowballfight.. how corny.. And as you all described, next-level alien pain :s .. The ambulance couldnt believe it was dislocated so they were pushing against my leg to get it "straight".. The idiots thought i had a muscle spasm or whatever..

As i am surfing the internet i'm getting more and more worried about the use of my hip in the future.. I'm not scared about the dying of the hip (they can replace it and technology will get better when that will happen).

But i am scared about dislocating it again!

Because when someone dislocates their hip, you also tear the 3 ligaments that are holding it into place.. What about you guys? You still do anything you want? Make any rotation etc..

greetings from Holland
    sara

You bring up a lot of good questions, Sara...sorry to hear this happened.

As far as the hip dying (avascular necrosis), some studies have estimated that if the hip is reduced within 6 hrs the chances of that happening are less than 10%, though the rate goes up with longer delays. Nonetheless, more likely than not it won't happen, but it's important to keep following up with an orthopedic surgeon even after your hip feels great to take xrays to make sure.

Second, unlike the shoulder, the hip is not as dependent on its ligaments for stability and is much more dependent on the bony conformity of the ball in socket (the hip socket is much deeper than the shoulder socket). Thus, I wouldn't anticipate that with normal activities instability would be a big problem.

Good luck w/ your recovery.

PS- Did you win the snowball fight?
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Sorry to bring back this UGLY thread, but I just dislocated my hip 10 days ago. No broken bones or fragments, it didn't even hurt as bad as when I dislocated my shoulder. I couldn't move my leg but was stranded on the mountain (Mt. Hood) for over 12 hours before I was rescued and about 14 hours before I was reduced. After reading this thread-- I became kinda ill due to what ORTHODOC said about being 6 hours out of socket, and done a bit of research and wondered if he would come online and give me some friendly advice. I'm a backcountry ski photographer and need to get back to work ASAP., but besides that I'm pretty worried about AVN. The ER docs said there were a few hemotomas in the area, but no signs of any breakage or fragments. Thanks All!

Well, I dislocated my right hip 2 months ago. Now I'm still using the crutches, and 4 more weeks!

It happened because of an ugly landing of snowboarding at Loon, NH. it was the most pain I ever experienced! After reduction in 2.5 hours, I was told some bone fragments inside the joint. 2 weeks latter, arthoscopy surgery was pretty successful. My doctor told me the worst thing is big part of the thighbone head's cover just been shaved off when dislocated. I 'm worrying about the AVN as well. Doc also told me hip dislocation is a very bad injury, not like shoulder dislocation, and don't underestimated it. So I'm not planning to go back to the slope for the next two seasons. But good news is if you rehabilitate properly and give it more time, it will recovery. Plan for the worst, hope for best. We will be fine!

I was in the back of my school and we have this shipping container about 8 feet tall. I tried to do a flip off of it onto a gymnastics matt. . . well I landed on the matt no problem but completely dislocated my hip due to a half assed landing.

Anyway, I'm sitting on this mat and a bunch of my friends come around me and one girl says she's calling an ambulance. I was like "don't I'll walk it off." I took 3 steps before I got back on the mat and gave in.

We get to the hospital and they stretcher me inside. give me Advil. Then, they roll me over to this x-ray table and told me I had to get on myself which was really hard to do, later the doctor comes into my room and pretty much says " whops guess this isn't really an advil kind of thing." HAHA! Of course he didn't actually say that but thankfully he hooked me up with a morphine drip along with an anesthesiologist for when they re-located my leg.

It's been about a month and a half and i'm pretty much healed up. My leg clicks sometimes and I can't twist it but like I said, It's only been a month and a half.

Did the same at Bridger about 4 years ago. Compression from a hrs landing a then hitting a hard wind lib pushed it back and out. After just recently breaking my femur I can attest that the hip is the definitive winner in the pain dept. Although I feel like recovery from the hip was a breeze where as these last few days after the femur have really sucked.
    I was given permission to ski about 8 weeks after my hip and with an extensive pt program and the promise not to leave the ground.