Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shop to demo some skis in SLC/Snowbird?

I'll be in Utah for a few days and don't care to drag my skis along this time as I'm planning a new purchase at the end of the season. Any place you guys would recommend for an early Sunday morning rental before I head to Snowbird? The prices on the mountain seemed a little harsh ($50/day for skis only and no mention of being able to swap them throughout the day) so I wouldn't mind going to a mom & pop somewhere on the way. Looking for a place with some midfat skis.

How are the demos on the mountain at Alta? For $35/day with unlimited changes throughout the day, that seemed like a good deal. I'm already planning on doing that one day unless their demos are notoriously not taken care of properly.

Thanks.

My family did the demo thing out of Christies at Snowbird a few weeks ago and they let them switch as much as they wanted. They demoed Volkl Aura, K2 Misbehaved/Seth, Rosi Sickbird, Legend Pros and others. Also you can rent Praxis, DPS and Bro's from http://www.wasatchpowderskis.com/

Thanks for the heads-up. More likely to rent from them if I can swap throughout the day though $50 is kind of steep to demo imo.

If I lived on the West Coast I would seriously consider Wasatch Powder Skis but right now I can't justify the width of most of their skis for daily New England conditions and skiing.

When people go out west, do they bring their own skis or rent them at the hills?

I didn't know they had these kinds of options. I want to get a mid-fat ski for Michigan's better days, and I want to bring it out west. But if the places all have top notch gear to rent then it is different.

I've done both in the past but these days with almost every airline charging you extra both ways to check your luggage, it's becoming a real drag and an additional expense. Then there's the added stress of possibly getting your skis lost or damaged in transit. Considering I'll only be there for a few days, it doesn't make much sense to pack the skis on this particular trip.

I'll definitely take my boots though as a carry-on.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly001 View Post

If I lived on the West Coast I would seriously consider Wasatch Powder Skis but right now I can't justify the width of most of their skis for daily New England conditions and skiing.
    A) have you looked at the stoke on the EC roll call thread? Powder skis are a Must-Have addition to your quiver. Make life simple. Get a pair of light powder skis that are like 90-100 underfoot and have some sidecut. That way you can ski EC powder AND enjoy the groomers. I skied my chiefs all the time on groomers and loved them. You just have to get used to the feeling.

B) I've demo'd from Alta sports in the Albion Basin day lodge twice...they are totally cool with letting you switch throughout the day and their equipment is well maintained.

C) I bring my own skis when I fly out west. The times i rented were 1) to try out chiefs for the first time before I bought them and 2) Try tele gear before I bought it. One thing is for sure- always bring your boots. You can carry them on the plane and rental boots SUCK compared to ones fit just for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    A) have you looked at the stoke on the EC roll call thread? Powder skis are a Must-Have addition to your quiver. Make life simple. Get a pair of light powder skis that are like 90-100 underfoot and have some sidecut. That way you can ski EC powder AND enjoy the groomers. I skied my chiefs all the time on groomers and loved them. You just have to get used to the feeling.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking to purchase. So far, I really liked the Line Prophet 90 that I tried at Jay but I want to demo a few more midfats.

Well...the place in that albion basin has a full line of K2s...the place in the GMD has solomon's and Rossi...and that's really all I can recall....well there's also a place that rents volkls....try the mantra.

When are you going to be there?

Will be there on Sunday. Definitely going to try as many as I can.

Will be there on Sunday. Definitely going to try as many as I can.

up on a sunday ? you'll be out of luck as all shops at the albion base area are closed for brigham's day.
    Top of the Food Chain for White Trash America

Support maggot-owned businesses, not chain stores. If you don't understand that, you're on the wrong website and should GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by art2d2 View Post
    Support maggot-owned businesses, not chain stores. If you don't understand that, you're on the wrong website and should GTFO.
    I guess you missed this part:

so I wouldn't mind going to a mom & pop somewhere on the way.
    If you have suggestions for good places to rent rather than a useless blanket statement, I'm all ears.
    Last edited by kelly001; 02-25-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Try straightline next to the PIE (near university). They demo Bluehouse (nice local co). Im pretty sure you cam demo any Bluehouse ski you want there and its like $10 a day....

Best deal around im thinking.

Give it a shot!

I guess you missed this part:

If you have suggestions for good places to rent rather than a useless blanket statement, I'm all ears.
    well, you did whine about the $50 per day rate that WPS charges, although they will deliver.

cheep masshole, you get what you pay for. please do rent an 80 waisted ski when you come out to utardia, then be sure to post here about how said 80 waisted ski sucked in the pow.

better yet, do us all a favor and go post on epicski, you might pick up a partner over there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    well, you did whine about the $50 per day rate that WPS charges, although they will deliver.
    Did you also fail reading comprehension?

I "complained" about $50 being charged by Snowbird's own rental shop not WPS. Learn to read.

As I said I would support WPS if I had the use for super fat skis (which is clearly their thing.) But right now I don't need to purchase anything fatter than 90-100 waist. To put it in perspective, over my last 30 ski days or so, one was a true powder day.

Check out the 99mm waisted Bros at WPS.
    We have been blowing east coasters away with those this year.
    Good peeps, money-well spent and we'll deduct the cost of one days demo from your order.

To put it in perspective, over my last 30 ski days or so, one was a true powder day.

to put it in perspective, you fail at skiing and life. if you suck so bad as to not be able to ski a 90-100 underfoot on non pow days then you should just kys.

WPS demos bros, maybe the 164 is the right ski for you. you piss sitting down, correct ?

As I said I would support WPS if I had the use for super fat skis (which is clearly their thing.) But right now I don't need to purchase anything fatter than 90-100 waist. To put it in perspective, over my last 30 ski days or so, one was a true powder day.
    I would at least try some Bros, they are quite fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    if you suck so bad as to not be able to ski a 90-100 underfoot on non pow days then you should just kys.
    Again reading comprehension, it's a useful tool.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking to purchase. So far, I really liked the Line Prophet 90 that I tried at Jay but I want to demo a few more midfats.
    A midfat 90-100 waist is perfect for most powder or non-powder days in NE. That's the versatility I need, anything wider is overkill 99% of the time for the conditions I ski on a regular basis.

I'm sure you'll misread that too.

Anyone know a shop in SLC that demo's the rossi s7? I'm heading to LCC for 4 days in march and I want to demo some reverse camber stuff. I know the alta shop has the hellbent and WPS has the Lhasa, so I'm looking for the s7 to round out the group since so many seem to rave about that ski.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Check out the 99mm waisted Bros at WPS.
    We have been blowing east coasters away with those this year.
    Good peeps, money-well spent and we'll deduct the cost of one days demo from your order.
    Will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks.

volkl bridges. Try 'em.
    Nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
    Anyone know a shop in SLC that demo's the rossi s7? I'm heading to LCC for 4 days in march and I want to demo some reverse camber stuff. I know the alta shop has the hellbent and WPS has the Lhasa, so I'm looking for the s7 to round out the group since so many seem to rave about that ski.
    Check with the Deep Powder House, located at the Alta Lodge.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post
    Check with the Deep Powder House, located at the Alta Lodge.
    Negative. They referred me to some shop in Park City who also doesn't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
    Negative. They referred me to some shop in Park City who also doesn't have them.
    Have you tried the Lifthouse? I thought I saw them in there, but I could be wrong.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???