Aleyska AK New Years Chute Question

Anyone know what it takes for New Years Chute to open at Alyeska? I've been watching it for a while now and haven't ever seen it open. I'm deploying to Afghanistan here shortly and would love to be able to ski it before I get off skis for a year.

Thanks.

edit - misspelled

I skiied aly for a couple weeks in Dec. I was new to the area so I was asking my buddies who grew up there about it and they said it rarely ever opens and when it does it's usually later in the season.

youkneebonger Guest
    it is only open jan 1

It takes an act of Jeebus

I've never seen it open except once after 2 months of high pressure
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

good luck... I have seen it open...ha but the lifts were down because there was too much snow, also the town was avalanched in on both sides of the Seward Hwy. no access from Anchorage of from the Keni-

It was open for pretty much the whole week I was there last March. It was a nice high pressure that settled in, and settled the snowpack. I bet they'll be more likely to open it in the spring.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

It was open for a total of 3 days during 06-07 season. There's a narrow crux that needs to be filled in by wet snow before it will go. And even then, so many people side slip through the crux that a nasty rut develops making it fairly dangerous. It's a sweet run though!

Last season I skied it twice later in the season. How long are you gonna be here, Im geussing that if it opens at all mid to late march is going to be it.

Taking off before then. Maybe when I get back in a year it'll be open. Thanks all.

i can only remember it ever being open in march

It was open last February for most of the month. They even had Money's open.

They're opening it up today according to the 0830 report.

Quote Originally Posted by ghcaz View Post
    Anyone know what it takes for New Years Chute to open at Alyeska? I've been watching it for a while now and haven't ever seen it open. I'm deploying to Afghanistan here shortly and would love to be able to ski it before I get off skis for a year.

Thanks.

edit - misspelled
    Skied it today for you brother. Didn't get up to the top of the chute until 130pm and it was still MONEY, traversed over towards Chump Change after the little choke point and it was great too.

That being said, good luck and be safe out there. I personally thank all the men and women like you out there serving.

Thanks man. Looks like it would be a blast. Hopefully I'll be able to hit it next March. I'll have to settle for the mountains of Afghanistan for a while.

I must be lucky, MD9 and I skied it when we were there a few years ago. It seems like it was open all week.

Don't expect it today. Absolutely nuking since yesterday around 5. Guns going off all morning. 18" on top. See you on tram.