Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Community Mourns Loss of Travis Steeger

This just posted on Biglines.com....so sad. +++ vibes to friends and family. Looks like he was in the lead yesterday at the comp.

The final day of the Fernie Freeski comp was tragically marked last night with the passing of Travis Steeger. After leaving the event’s awards ceremonies sometime in the late evening, Travis made his way back downtown where he fell victim to a hit and run.

http://www.biglines.com/blarticles/4...Travis_Steeger

what?!?!?!? a H&R in downtown Fernie?!?!?! are you F'ing kidding me?!?!?!?
    so sad to see a young life with an immeasurable amount of potential taken in such a bs way .......

RIP Travis; RIP young man.

no doubt justice will be served ......
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

A good friend of mine, and the best skier I've ever seen - Travis will be missed.

What a terrible way to go ++++VIBES+++++

tragic. rip travis.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

that truly sucks. vibes+++++++++++++
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

So sad to see a life end so young. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
    "FKNA man, that is some master looking carpentry skillz yo." - FreakofSnow

Didn't know him bu tthat's terrible news.

sad when anyone from our community passes too soon.

Rip In Peace Travis...
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

So sad to push it that hard in the mountains and die crossing the street.

Article in the Calgary news...

A 19-year-old man was hit by a vehicle as he crossed an intersection at 7th Street and the main highway in Fernie.

Fatal hit and run in Fernie

Updated: Sun Feb. 22 2009 16:50:45

ctvcalgary.ca

RCMP in Fernie, British Columbia are appealing for the public's help after a fatal hit and run in that community.

It happened about 3 a.m. Sunday morning.

Police say a 19-year-old man was hit by a vehicle as he crossed an intersection at 7th Street and the main highway.

RCMP investigators say the vehicle and driver disappeared and the young man died at the scene.

Investigators believe the suspect vehicle may be an SUV or truck because the victim's injuries indicate a larger vehicle was involved.

They also say the vehicle may have sustained damage to the windshield, headlights and/or front grill.

RCMP say the vehicle was heading east from Fernie towards Sparwood and possibly Alberta.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).

This is very, very sad news...

...my condolences go out to his family and friends.

So sad, how in the Fark can some one do this to another person & leave them for dead? RIP......

shit.....

I heard this on the radio this morning and the first thing that crossed my mind was that it could be a competitor....I can't believe it is actually true...

so sad and upsetting. my condolences to friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    the first thing that crossed my mind was that it could be a competitor....
    More likely a drunk. 3AM leaving the scene of an accident...usually=drunk driver not wanting more trouble. BS but true. I know of a number of incidents where the drunk drivers never knew they hit anything.

Vibes to the family and friends.

god that's terrible...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by bfr View Post
    More likely a drunk. 3AM leaving the scene of an accident...usually=drunk driver not wanting more trouble. BS but true. I know of a number of incidents where the drunk drivers never knew they hit anything.

Vibes to the family and friends.
    Pretty sure he meant the victim was a competitor, not the hit & run driver.

RIP Travis.

Unbelieveable.

++++RIP+++
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Very very sad. I was with Travis until 2:30am that night at a house party. We left the motel that morning, drove 2 blocks down the street only to see Travis' toque and his shoe in the middle of the intersection where police were still working on the investigation. RIP Travis Steeger

Quote Originally Posted by clarnitty View Post
    This just posted on Biglines.com....so sad. +++ vibes to friends and family. Looks like he was in the lead yesterday at the comp.

The final day of the Fernie Freeski comp was tragically marked last night with the passing of Travis Steeger. After leaving the event’s awards ceremonies sometime in the late evening, Travis made his way back downtown where he fell victim to a hit and run.

http://www.biglines.com/blarticles/4...Travis_Steeger
    That's so "f@$k Up.

+++ Vibes to his friends & fam
    2009 187cm Legend XXL's
    2009 187cm Huge Trouble

Heard about this yesterday. Sad news.

A tragic loss.

Wow. Only 19. Sounds like he was a good man. So sorry.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

That's brutal... rest in peace man, and condolences to family and friends. It's been a rough few years in the freeride community.

I hope they catch whoever was responsible.

Very sad indeed. My deepest condolences go out to his friends and family. Tragic loss.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Fucking horrible news. So sad...

Cross-posted from bnorris at NS.

Words and Photos by Chris O’Connell

In my 15 years in the ski industry, it has become easy to recognize true talent when I see it. Travis Steeger was a shinning star. His sponsor me video was the best I have ever seen come across my desk at Armada: double front flips off 50 foot cliffs, 40 foot cab 900s off cliffs with his jacket open?!? His sponsor me video was more entertaining than many pro skier’s video parts. We signed him up immediately.

Travis was a breath of fresh air in the ski industry and his potential was limitless.

Travis’ life ended too soon, victim of a hit and run in Fernie, BC while crossing the street early Sunday morning. The car didn’t stop at the cross walk and Travis was taken from us.

It was Travis’ birthday that night. He was 19 years young.

Having just spent time with him on a trip with him at Baldface Lodge, I was privileged to get to know him. He was the rock star of one of the powder capitals of the world, Nelson, BC. I never met anyone there that didn’t love him. His skiing to a casual observer surely would have appeared crazy and maybe even a bit loose canon, but he was calculated and smart, and so entertaining to watch.

Travis loved snow and he was never cold, he was a true powder child. He had to tow out of Baldface behind a snowmobile for 15 miles in the freezing dark, when we got to the bottom, I expected him to be so beat up and bummed, but he was so stoked. “That was awesome!” He was just beginning to experience the life of a sponsored skier and loving every minute of it.

He was a quick learner and so stoked to be in the mountains. He learned handplants in one day with Riley and JP, and apparently he just did a switch backflip to 180 to front flip off a natural cliff, which has never been done before.

Travis was nice enough to drive me 4 hours to Spokane on a very snowy night last month just so I could make my plane to fly home from Nelson. I got to learn quite a bit about him on that drive, he had decided that he would study medicine in University and wanted to be a doctor so he could travel the world and help people without access to good medicine. Med school would have been really easy for him cause he was so damn smart. Some of his family friends said he was a certified genius. But he really just loved hucking big cliffs into the famous powder of the Kootenays and skiing lines at Whitewater, the local hill. He was already a Nelson local legend at age 18. We talked for four hours straight on that drive and our 45 minutes detained in the US Customs Office, and we didn’t speak much about skiing at all. In the ski world, that’s pretty rare, most 18 year old sponsored ski athletes don’t have much to say about anything else but skiing. Travis had opinions on the world, he read novels, and worked on the biggest puzzles I have ever seen in his spare time.

Travis will always be a part of the Armada Family and we will miss him dearly. We send our love and heartfelt regards to all of Travis’ Friends in Nelson and his family in Ymir.

May the Fresh Breeze that is Travis Steeger blow through the Kootenay Mountains of British Columbia forever.