Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jay Peak's "IFSA Extreme Competition"?

Anyone have any info on this http://www.jaypeakresort.com/#/about_jay_peak/events/.

Thinking about maybe competing and making a weekend out of it, but I was hoping to get a bit more info. I emailed Jay Peak, but they probably get a mass of emails so I haven't heard anything back from them. I thought maybe some people on here might have some direct experience:

1) Do we know what the $75 registration gets you in relation to lift passes etc.?
    2) Do they have a cap on the number of competitors?
    3) Can you register early?
    4) What are the venues like (Upper River Quai and The Face)?
    5) What is the competition like (I know there is some great skiers out East, just how many show up for things like this)?
    6) What are the conditions like in late March?
    7) Is it worth it (I'm not really that competitive, but thought it would be a good excuse to go skiing, meet new people, and just generally have good time)?
    8) Anything else?

I'll probably have to bite the bullet and call Jay for the complete low down, but I thought someone on here might have some insight.

don't know dude....but give 'em hell

we tried to do it last year, but they seem to cancel or postpone it every other year and we missed it. I guess it takes place right under the tram or w/e

Two answers

I made the drive up for last years comp. However it was canceled due to bad conditions. The base was there, but they just went through a thaw/freeze cycle that hardened everything really bad (prob. a fluke because after that they got dumped on for a week). However, that same day there was a slope style comp so I entered that instead...

It wasn't a typical slopestye comp either...no park rats and only about 8 skiers entered. No tall tee's. Everyone was doing lincolnloops/backflips/frontflips...I'm assuming a few dudes, like me, were there for the big mt comp and just did the slope style on a whim. That may answer your ? about the level of competition.

7) Is it worth it

Yes.

as sam said we kinda got hosed last year.
    I was going to enter it, but then got word that they postponed/canceled it becaue the face was bulletproof.
    Then they had the comp anyway. Both venue choices are poor. There are much better places to have a comp there (green beret).
    Upper River is a fun rollover, but is normally windscoured and hard. The face is either deep and blown in, or totally blown off, depends on the infamous Jay wind.
    As for the level of competition, I couldnt tell you. But I wont be one of the guys throwing much if any freestyle in.
    I havent gotten the balls inflated enough to get my skis over my head intentionally.
    Live

I've made plans and I am driving up for that weekend and plan on entering if they have it...

Quote Originally Posted by doofyskier View Post
    It wasn't a typical slopestye comp either...no park rats and only about 8 skiers entered. No tall tee's. Everyone was doing lincolnloops/backflips/frontflips...I'm assuming a few dudes, like me, were there for the big mt comp and just did the slope style on a whim. That may answer your ? about the level of competition.
    This makes me second guess entering if this is the skill level of most of the competitors but I'm sure it'll still be fun
    Before big games I shoot Rabies, it gives me the edge I need and it’s undetectable. Only idiot losers do steroids anymore...

definitely an interesting choice for runs/timing... the face doesn't play nice very often...

I thread gets started on this every year, and as others said above, it either seems to get cancelled or endlessly postponed. I was all fired up for it last year but no dice in the end.

Would be nice if it actually happened this year.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

1) Do we know what the $75 registration gets you in relation to lift passes etc.?
    $75 doesn't get you a lift ticket. It covers insurance, shwag, etc. Most likely a discounted lift ticket.

One thing you want to make sure of is if you have to be an IFSA member. I know you do for any of the IFSA events on the Freeride World Tour. It's a $40 registration fee for the year that can normally be purchased at the venue.

2) Do they have a cap on the number of competitors?
    Yes, but hardly enough competitors enter because the event is typically postponed. Showing up on the morning of registration pretty much guarantees you a spot.

3) Can you register early?
    Not that I know of. You wouldn't want to anyway because the event happens 50% of the time.

4) What are the venues like (Upper River Quai and The Face)?
    Upper River Quai's got 2 different ways to get down at the top. Skier's right is an elbow where the snow is usually better. Skier's left (the front way down) is a roller that usually has exposed rock and grass due to wind. Skier's left most of the way down is exposed grass and rock. The Face Chutes are usually hard pack. However, the later in the season the event is held, the softer the snow gets.

5) What is the competition like (I know there is some great skiers out East, just how many show up for things like this)?
    I'll probably get slammed for this, but it's my opinion that this event isn't judged like a normal IFSA event because of the venue it's held on. The final is on Face Chutes and the winner is typically the person who tries to air the double and not make a turn. You can see the double in this pic. http://images.tepperphoto.com/photos..._DK6VJ-L-1.jpg

Air is bad ass, but the IFSA and FWT make it clear that air isn't a category. Line choice, fluidity, form, control and aggression are the categories. Controlled air will bump you up a point in the aggression and form categories. None of this is a knock at the guys who've won in the past. There's really not anything else you can do on the Face Chutes to put together a good run. However, you don't have to huck your meat to do well.

If you're a good, technical skier, you'll do really well. The level of talent is good, but lots of people do it for the experience.

Extremely variable. Could be baller. Could be boilerplate.

7) Is it worth it (I'm not really that competitive, but thought it would be a good excuse to go skiing, meet new people, and just generally have good time)?
    Absolutely.

8) Anything else?
    Pics from last year's event - http://images.tepperphoto.com/galler...7_UW3Lu#P-1-15

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyarea View Post
    Nice - shots 109 to 122 would look awesome as an animated gif

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in with some info. I'm kind of stoked now and I think I'll be there as long as the weather cooperates.

Still kind of curious what the ultimate costs will be. I'll have to give the mountain a call.

I don't really have any delusions of winning or anything, it just sounds like it would be a fun weekend. I've done a couple out west and had a great time meeting new people and skiing, although I totally gapered it up. That being said, I'll still go as hard as I can and aim to place high.

Hope to meet some of you there.

i'll be there. hopefully going up this week and "training" on my new xxl's. how big's the double?

this sounds like fun.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

For what it's worth last years comp was NOT postponed because "the face was bulletproof." It was postponed due to cloudy/foggy conditions which prevented the judges from seeing the venues. That is part of the reason that they have scheduled this years event for Saturday AND Sunday, so that people will plan on coming for the entire weekend because these postponements have happened relatively frequently.

Here is a picture of the Face taken today:

looks good from here.

should be interesting. Ill likely be there
    any other mags entering?
    Live

I so want to be there for this, but monetarily it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it. Yah, I know, $75 isn't much, but right now I don't have even that much to spare (plus the cost of gas).

In case anyone's interested, the $75 covers the two day lift pass and there is no IFSA membership required. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Here's to a good weekend. Have fun everyone. Wish I could be there...

shit, i didnt realize it was a 2 day event.
    I might not be able to swing the entry fee and a night at grandpa grunts
    Live

last year, I was probably the only one with an IFSA membership. It wasn't required for the comp. Basically, the only reason the "IFSA" is there, from my understanding, is to show that it will be judged using IFSA catagories (unlike other EC comps) and also last year John Witherspoon had an agreement with Jim Jack to allow the winner to prequalify for the worlds in Alaska. Don't know if that's the same situation this year.
    Last year it was postponed but it was held on Sunday. It was not cancelled. Turned out to be a nice sunny warm day with some quality corn skiing.
    I'm going to try to get up there to do it this year. we'll see

Is this thing still on for Sat? Forecast looks good for warm temperatures (40s). When do they make a call on whether to run it or postpone it?

Anyone has a couch space for Saturday night for 1.5 people in case junior makes it through the qualifier?

did #42 win last year?
    I havent skied the face all year..is it going to be open friday to check out or is it closed down the days prior to the event?

Quote Originally Posted by mosdefdef1234 View Post
    did #42 win last year?
    I havent skied the face all year..is it going to be open friday to check out or is it closed down the days prior to the event?
    Local boy and Jay ski instructor Brad Kennison won it last year. Not sure if he wore #42 or not...

The face was closed last weekend because it was BULLETPROOF! (Trust me, it was REALLY sketchy, and closed for good reason!) Assuming the warmer weather this week softens things up a bit I would assume that it should be open on Friday. If it is (or maybe even if it's not) I'll be on it for most of the day, so come say hello. Gray Pants, Red or Black coat, 183 Bros, stealie on the brain bucket.

I'm still coming up and entering if they have it. I also haven't been on the face all year, I'll be checking it out Friday for sure.
    Before big games I shoot Rabies, it gives me the edge I need and it’s undetectable. Only idiot losers do steroids anymore...

The face looks super sketchy when I was up there Saturday, although I am sure it softened up a bit. Good luck to all, should be a good time. I will be slaying waist deep in the San Juans
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Is there anyway to check it out/test run after friday but before the comp? I haven't skied that since freshman year of college, and I really don't feel like wasting time by entering unless I have a line picked out. Can't get off of work friday so earliest I could be up there is Sat morning.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

My Flickr Photostream