SkiBumOfVT Guest

I Ski Switch Down the Skin Track

I've been having problems skinning, On these steep skin tracks I end up skiing switch down the track. It take alot of energy out of my to then have to use my poles to push me up. What am I doing wrong, I used to have 171 sickbirds with Black diamond skins, and now I have 190 gotamas with new skins. They are mounted really far back, and they don't have that much skin on the tails compared to the front of the ski.

most of your grip comes from right under your foot and mostly from your heel
    be sure you are standing up and not leaning forward. stand tall.
    be sure you put all of your weight onto one foot before moving the other
    set your risers up all the way

if you can, but sure youve got as much skin behind you as the length will allow
    other than that, sometimes kicking fresh snow into the track from the sides helps with grip

Definitely think about weighting more toward your heel instead of leaning forward.
    Also, are you wall to wall or is the edge exposed?

on flat hard icy skin tracks, ive found wall to wall to have no impact
    hard icy sidehills, that are angled more than you are able to angle your feet, on the other hand....

SkiBumOfVT Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Definitely think about weighting more toward your heel instead of leaning forward.
    Also, are you wall to wall or is the edge exposed?
    the edge is exposed

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBumOfVT View Post
    the edge is exposed
    Sometimes in challenging conditions stomping them to set them may help. Or giving some extra pressure at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

to the road?

I've found that switching the boots back into ski mode for steeper climbs helps you get more pressure on the back of the skis and thus better traction. It helped me last weekend on a steep skintrack with a heavy pack.

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    As soon as you're pushing with your poles you're taking weight off your feet/skins and you will slide backwards.

Stand tall with confidence and use small steps too so your weight is over your ski and not pushing onto it from behind or in front.

Good luck with it
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

This book has some good beta on technique. Most of it is well known, but it’s still very worthwhile.

The only thing I can add to what’s already been said is that—as with climbing—leaning away from the mountain will give you more leverage… it’s about the physics of applying force at the right point (your heal mainly) as you weight and un-weight the ski & skin.

If the snow itself is shearing (usually from snow on top of surface hoar) and not the skins themselves then your options are limited. 1) Cut the steepness by laying your own zig-zag track, 2) Focus on driving the uphill ski into the side of the hill more so than the downhill ski, 3) Slow down. It’s often faster to be more deliberate rather than trying to motor up the hill.

On these steep skin tracks I end up skiing switch down the track. It take alot of energy out of my to then have to use my poles to push me up. What am I doing wrong?
    1) make sure skins are applied in the right direction
    2) shorten your stride-length the steeper the terrain gets. it will keep you more centered and engage the skin underfoot
    3) the less pressure you put into your poles the more that is directed into the skin; this is were you want it. don't try to "pole" your way up a steep pitch.

that should solve 95% of your problems. if you happen to be using trekkers disregard all, as there is no good advice and you are just plain fucked. good luck.

everything above. also, on tricky spots, i push down hard and a little back with my steps, trying to get all the hairs engaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    I've found that switching the boots back into ski mode for steeper climbs helps you get more pressure on the back of the skis and thus better traction. It helped me last weekend on a steep skintrack with a heavy pack.
    Word. This is the go to technique. It allows you to lean back in your boot with some force and really engage your skins.

If that doesn't work and you're on some retarded track set by someone with something to prove just step aside and start over with a more sane track.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Commit to your step as well - don't spread the weight between two skis, it just ruins your grip. Usually you will start to slip, then lean forward, and start taking tentative steps. Then it all goes to hell.

IF YOU ARE POSTING ON A INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD CUZ YOU SUCK AT SKINNING, PERHAPS IT'S TIME TO TRY ANOTHER SPORT, LIKE BOWLING.
    Hey d-bag - here's something for you to think about: maybe (just maybe) not everybody here has their little panties in a wad 24/7 and flies into a rage whenever somebody disagrees with them. Maybe these same mags don't take this place uber-seriously. Maybe this even includes the vast majority of the people who post here as opposed to you and like 20 other thin-skinned douchebags. Just something to think about. -JER

DEAR INTERWEBS, I SUCK AT SKINNING. I ALSO SUCK AT WALKING. I'M AN IDIOT, PLEASE GIVE ME SOME TIPS.
    Hey d-bag - here's something for you to think about: maybe (just maybe) not everybody here has their little panties in a wad 24/7 and flies into a rage whenever somebody disagrees with them. Maybe these same mags don't take this place uber-seriously. Maybe this even includes the vast majority of the people who post here as opposed to you and like 20 other thin-skinned douchebags. Just something to think about. -JER

TROLL OFF!!!!!!!!

two troll enter...one leaves
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I WILL STOP FEEDING THE TROLL
    GOOD.

GO LEARN TO WALK NOW.

Ski crampons?

The dukes have a low max heel elevator height, which doesn't help.

Ski crampons will help if its icy, but you will still have to dial down the steepness. The higher the heel lift, the less of the crampon engages with the snow, unless you have a fixed crampon. Lou has good info on ski crampons.

I hate really steep skin tracks. I was on one today at about hour 6 in a 7 hour tour and it was utterly demoralizing. I know this isn't at all helping you, but I want you to know that I feel your pain.

The heel bale on the dukes won't make a difference, I duke and climb steep. It's technique.

Are you slipping when it's a sidehill? A lot of people put their edge in on sidehills, but of course with an exposed edge all they do is slide. You have to trust the skin, not the edge. Angle your skis flat to the slope (ie. knees downhill) for more grip. It seems unnatural, but thew skin has far more grip than the then edge.

Otherwise, yeah, stomp you heels etc. like everyone said.