Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Seriously, why have you never tried snowboarding?

If you've never ridden a board I want to know why. Flames included. I grew up skiing, I understand the passion, but on a pow day, for me, there is nothing like a board. I've had tele boarders tell me the same, and I'm slowly trying to learn the art so some day I can "get it". It's just funny to me how many one dimensional peeps there are on this board that seem to have some phobia for snowboards. What gives? To me, I love snow, so money permitting, I'll try anything.

Anyway, blurry, if you will give the old heel toe an honest go I've got a free pair of burton cartels with your name on em. You got your little road gap out the way, how bout something new?
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

I'm straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Cop View Post
    If you've never ridden a board I want to know why. Flames included. I grew up skiing, I understand the passion, but on a pow day, for me, there is nothing like a board. I've had tele boarders tell me the same, and I'm slowly trying to learn the art so some day I can "get it". It's just funny to me how many one dimensional peeps there are on this board that seem to have some phobia for snowboards. What gives? To me, I love snow, so money permitting, I'll try anything.

Anyway, blurry, if you will give the old heel toe an honest go I've got a free pair of burton cartels with your name on em. You got your little road gap out the way, how bout something new?

I did for 1 run, then realized I have a lot of room to still improve on the skiing side.... why start from scratch again..?
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

Quote Originally Posted by kush1 View Post
    I did for 1 run, then realized I have a lot of room to still improve on the skiing side.... why start from scratch again..?
    Give it 3 days. In two weeks you will be riding anything you can ski. Once you get it, you got it. It's not as technical as skiing.

Well, maybe I should qualify that. Not anything you can ski, but it has a much shorter learning curve than skiing.

"a yin without a yang"

I tried several years ago. It hurt. I gave up.

A knuckledragging friend and I are going to swap gear for a day in late season, maybe it'll go better this time.

Tried it. Got good at it. Went back to skiing.

Sure it's tits in deep pow, what ain't? What i really appreciated was how good it was in junk and crud. Breakable death crust/boot top dog fuck? No problem.

On some mountains with few catroads it's fine, on a normal mountain the traverses and other transport sucks.

Get better at skiing.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I used to think "why waste a perfectly good day of skiing by learning how to snowboard."

Then I met a non-winter girl. I imagined attempting to teach her to ski, then put us both on snowboards. I thin kit went quite well. We're still together anyways, and I'm a way better boarder than she is.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

I rode a board for about 4 years, it lost its appeal, the short learning curve probably had alot to do with it. I felt bored and unchallenged, given there was probably still alot of room for improvement, i feel like skiing allows me to push myself alot harder than boarding ever did which is why i switched back. No hate though, we all gotta get down the mountain somehow.

I also got really sick of getting left behind on traverses, and in the flats by my skiing friends.

Everyone I know that's a snowboarder talks about how they do it because it is so much harder, but I think they are full of shit

I like to be different.

I'm not grossly overweight but I"m a big boy. And it seems like every guy that looks like he's seen one too many days at the buffett is on a board. So I ski to be different.
    Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es

One of several reasons: I hate messing with gear, and splitboards are a pain in the ass.

I'd hate to be a douchebag and sideslip down chutes and fucking up the snow.

Boarded once, back in '93, even took a lesson, falling leaf, etc. Caught 1 toeside edge, dislocated a finger, briefly contemplated ER visit money, time lost, then yanked it back into position, almost passed out. Decided that skiing was better career move (I use my hands in my work). End of story.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLionfish View Post
    Everyone I know that's a snowboarder talks about how they do it because it is so much harder, but I think they are full of shit
    Well, there are things that are easier on skis and things that are easier on a board. Dropping in to a steep icy chute... way harder on a board, and I still think airing it out can have more challenges on a board, but that's relative to the drop and conditions. It's a lot easier to drop to hard pack on skis.

"a yin without a yang"

i = tEh sux0r
    but seriously, I'm right handed and left legged, and generally pretty klutzy.
    and I'm straight
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I had a bad enough time getting ski boots that don't completely fuck my feet up. Now I have that, I really hate the idea of starting again with a different pair of boots that can't be punched etc. I really want to learn to board but the idea of more boots puts me off.

I did it off and on for about 4 or 5 years. It eventually just lost it's appeal, especially once skis got big enough that I really didn't feel limited in powder/crud/etc. That plus the versatility of traverses/etc and the stability at speed that skis provide and I just went back to skiing full time.

Quote Originally Posted by toiletduck View Post
    I had a bad enough time getting ski boots that don't completely fuck my feet up. Now I have that, I really hate the idea of starting again with a different pair of boots that can't be punched etc. I really want to learn to board but the idea of more boots puts me off.
    Dude, the boots are as comfy as sneakers. Well there are some extreme queers among us that prefer hard boots. But they never really crossed over.

"a yin without a yang"

I also want to know why we are so outnumbered here on the board. Are all my brothers out there still in the closet? We have a black president and a lesbian Secretary of State. It's ok guys, you're safe here.

"a yin without a yang"

Have done it maybe once every 2-3 years for 21 years now (but was always a skier)......even broke my toe once and did it quite a bit for a month (including some pow days). If skiing didnt exist, I would board, it is fun. That said, it doesnt even come close to doing for me what skiing does. Not the same speed, intensity, feeling of power.

The bottomline, it isnt that great of a transportation tool. It can go down, but cannot really explore. I equate it to comparing a bicycle to a skateboard or razor scooter. Sure, you can have fun on those two things, but they are not really going to take you place. Plus for what you lose in mobility, you dont really gain much (if anything). You can both travel and jump/tricks, etc.
    Donjoy to the World!

Dude, the boots are as comfy as sneakers. Well there are some extreme queers among us that prefer hard boots. But they never really crossed over.
    I dunno, people seem to have trouble and complain about uncomfortable boots - at least a fair few of my snowboard buddies. It's still a pain in the arse sorting out a whole new setup, and I can't be bothered to have the sloppy rental crap thing...

When snowboarding came out, I was just starting to get good at skiing. Still trying to get good.. Plus, I prefer to face down the hill, not look at it sideways. Just me, I'm sure it's fun as hell. Plus these days, with the fat skis that rip in the deep and on hard pack, I kinda figure "what's the point?" Not hating or judging at all, just not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    The bottomline, it isnt that great of a transportation tool. It can go down, but cannot really explore. I equate it to comparing a bicycle to a skateboard or razor scooter. Sure, you can have fun on those two things, but they are not really going to take you place. Plus for what you lose in mobility, you dont really gain much (if anything). You can both travel and jump/tricks, etc.
    These boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do
    one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you.

but I'm old school, and snow shoes are still my sole mode of transport in the bc. There are drawbacks, but speed? in pow? come on, not even a contest. And trees, I can smoke any of my ski buddies in tight trees.

"a yin without a yang"

I rode a board back in the 90's for a while after growing up on skis. I enjoyed the new challenge quite a bit. There is absolutely no ride more unique and soulful as deep pow on a snowboard in my opinion. I also realize the many contributions of snowboarding to skiing (deeper sidecuts, twin tips, fatter skis...) a true symbiotic relationship.

Three issues became apparent after a while though:

1. Resting involved sitting in the snow, heat loss acceleration.

2. Non-releasable bindings. An avy or a real nasty spill and I want all equipment away from me (I also don't wear pole straps).

3. The straw for me though, was a complete lack of mobility and versatility. As I got more into mountaineering, and general out of resort travel, I realized that a snowboard was far inferior. We all notice this on any cat track without enough downhill to carry the flats. Consider a 300 meter traverse in deep snow to the next downward pitch.

I recommitted to skis with a vigor after this revelation.

Last opinion, snowshoes are terrible in the mountains.
    Last edited by RoanMtnMan; 02-08-2009 at 10:52 PM.
    -You can't get hurt if you are in the air.

Caleb Wray Photography

I also want to know why we are so outnumbered here on the board. Are all my brothers out there still in the closet? We have a black president and a lesbian Secretary of State. It's ok guys, you're safe here.
    We're outnumbered here because so many of our "brothers" don't realize how fucking awesome getting away from the park,pipe, and rail scene is. They think snowboarding is riding at Kingvale, Boreal, and Big Bear and see powder as an inconvenience, at least that's what I gather from looking through many of the snowboarding publications these days.

Its too bad, because the soul of the sport is high in the mountains in deep snow and technical terrain, but most 16-22 year old riders think that shit is as lame as I think rails are...I'm glad I'm hanging out here, people here (regardless of what they use to get down the mountain) post up stoke of the kind of riding I like to see...pow, cliffs, steeps, and general gnar...[/blog]
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind