Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A week in Rogers Pass. We're here you're not

Day 1 - 2009_02_06

Rogers Run. I'm getting hammered with the flu. Am supposed to be a mature hard working professional. But I'm skiing pow and you're not - what kind of lame excuse do you have?

CONDITIONS: Some preserved surface hoar from a few weeks ago resulted in whoomphs on SE slopes in isolated pockets. This disappeared on E slopes closer to the Puff Daddy side. We ran laps as visibility up high was poor and had good knee deep pow with isolated pockets of oh -wow that was deep.

^^^If that's what a mature professional does, sign me up! Nice pics. I have no lame excuse, so I was up there yesterday. Was loading my gear behind Glacier Park Lodge just wondering if I saw you. Said hi to someone just heading into the hotel wearing the same jacket/backpack combo as your first pic. Anyways, enjoy the week.

Been there the last 5 days in a row. Its good!
    nice pics
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.

sorry mr crank - I didn't hear you!

Hope you feel better soon. Whistlering at present.

Saw your vehicle in the parking lot today. If I had realized that skiing pow was a competition I would have let the air out of your tires to slow you down a bit.

8am at visitor centre tomorrow eldo - going for shorter day.

Today 2009 - 02 - 07 - Swiss - Hermit

Straight up then straight down in pow culminating with untouched knee to waist deep pow lines 40 - 45 degrees down to highway. It was adequate for our needs

Wind-hammered up high. Aborted bootpack to Mt Rogers as snow was zero boot pen and would have been problematic climb plus lousy ski down. Elected to ski down via Hermit

awesome shots lee. Hermit looked really nice!
    Big mountain or Bust.

Was there recently... Some retardedly nice pillows were slayed

Rogers pass is the place to be.

Nice! We have never had the stability to go to Hermit (or evidently, the cohones). On the list for some other year. Go have a beer for us at the Snowpunchers lounge across the road, ok?

best
    lw

Looks pretty good!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

4 of us norwegians heading up to Rogers pass from Revelstoke now, in big RV (Canadream). Nice weather here, but not much fresh snow.
    Looking forward to doing some mellow touring and check out the area.
    Sinful and wind-borne..

It was a good day to break Wilkez cooler cherry. Stability was VERY GOOD. Visibility close to unlimited.

We were joined by Dan, walked up to Cheops 4 slidepath and skied the STS couloir. 700m of 45 degree slope.

Definitely adequate for my needs

Nice shots Lee. Digging that G10, eh?

what amazing terrain. someday....someday.....

While you were preparing those important reports that no-one will ever read, we toured up a excrutiatingly steep skin track to Glacier Crest. We found an excrutiatingly steep descent with lots of snow.

Although the grooming was terrible, luckily they had left lots of moguls for us to practise appropriate technique. This combination of steep, pillowy powder lines continued for 700m to the moraine.

We all concluded that it was adequate for our needs

youkneebonger Guest
    nice nice stuff!!

Nice stuff, Lee. I'm heading to Revy/Rogers mid next week, can't wait.

I'm not writing reports, I'm applying for summers and articles. (you need a student on these mature professional business trips?)

Way to get after it, Lee. Say hi to Sharon for me.

Today we went straight up then straight down. The first stage took us up to Avalanche Crest. Then we dropped over to the glacier north of Avalanche Peak. Luc and Marco bagged the peak while Dan, Sharon and I nabbed Picking Strawberries couloir (not having axe or crampons for the windpacked, icy climb up the chute approach to the peak.

We watched Luc and Marco make survival turns down the 60 degree icy pitch then skied off the glacier back down the col. Then we dropped off the col into the bowl to the NRC gully slidepath proper and out.

A word on conditions. While snow is stable Avalanche Crest's ridgeline itself is a faceted mess - not surprising. I had written off the alpine but mysteriously the snow up high as soon as we dropped off to the glacier was excellent. Some boot-top to knee deep patches then wind-loading had deposited face shot snow in some spots.

Rogers Pass hasn't had new snow in a while but parties with good range and a desire to explore will still be rewarded

Way to go, Lee! I wish I could be a mature professional like you.
    Believe.

This thread is adequate for my needs.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Went back today to hit more pillows on Glacier Crest. Movies only from me and this is my first effort so be gentle.... Dan's camera died.

I'm meadowskipping the first bit and Dan is going splat. Beautiful uninterrupted pillow lines

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Went back today to hit more pillows on Glacier Crest. Movies only from me and this is my first effort so be gentle.... Dan's camera died.

I'm meadowskipping the first bit and Dan is going splat. Beautiful uninterrupted pillow lines
    YARRRRR.

that better be within the range of my party. nice vid.