Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Skis: Lhasa 196
    Boots: Krypton Pro

Skier: 6' 2", 190 lbs, age: old enough to seduce everything: high school to your mothers (45 for another month)

Style: all radii turns and terrain but usually no turns

Conditions: pow, mostly cut up pow, some windblown crust, packed powder

Skis I Have Used: does it make a fucking difference?

Pat was so nice to give these to me to try. New skis, he said drill 'em and if you don't like them then give them back. How cool is that?

I don't know which version I have but I skied them in some pow and cut up pow today. I did some things that should not be forgiven. But the 196 Lhasa forgave and saved me. Wow. This ski let me ski mach looney. It was forgiving but not noodly at all. Held a decent edge on windblown crust. I was maching through the Chutes with Mrs. Corky and she said "OMG you were going so fast." Since Mr. Corky skis at 186,000 mi/sec, this was pretty impressive coming from her.

They remind me of the Pontoon when I had a slight wheelie effect which I love. But they are far far more versatile and better in tracked out conditions than the Pontoon.

They float great, a far quicker turning stick than any fat 196cm ski has a right to turn, and I think PM Gear really did their homework with these. I was able to get an aggressive forward stance and not dive the tips.

I'll take them.
    Last edited by Jim S; 03-23-2009 at 11:01 AM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Finally got in a run on the 186 Carbons that Supergaper mounted up w/demos this weekend.

Me: 5'9" 160 pounds, 39 yrs old, been skiing in Jackson for 17 years (34 yrs total)
    My skis: 187 Titan Argos (alpine), Sanouk (AT), 180cm fish stix 106 (Tele)

Recently tried the Rossi S7 and 192 Atomic Atlas in bad snow conditions. Rossi seemed like it would be fun in good snow and the Atlas will be an amazing charger in pow but too heavy for me to use as an everyday ski.

Saturday was hot and sunny. We went south to hit 4 Shadows, No Name and Pinedale. The Lhasas handled refrozen crap, chalky jump turns, perfect corn and over baked corn very well. They took absolutely zero time to get used. In fact I kept forgetting I was trying a new ski. They smoothed out snow changes and made everything feel like butter. When my buddies were talking about how hollow the snow was down low I barely even noticed. I would definitely ski these as an everyday ski and can't imagine any conditions that they wouldn't handle at least as well as any ski out there. I think the 196 would be a great charger but I didn't find a speed limit in these conditions on the 186.

Thanks for the loaners Spencer!

Great reviews you two! Thanks!!!

Wonder if Jim's are the carbons or not, but sure didn't sound like they were lacking in any way!

FKNA!!!!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

FWIW, I liked these skis more than the Rossi S7 I tried for in pow and slush.

Aside from having a blast on the ski and being more than pleasantly surprised by its performance , I'm glad to support a local merchant and display a topsheet that has "FKNA Made in the USA" on it.
    Last edited by Jim S; 03-23-2009 at 11:01 AM.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Jims are the all-glass version, a bit heavy (like a normal ski) but definite crud and pow killers. I'm trying to convince him they'll kill everything else like sar13 reported.

No convincing needed.

Jim, didn't you just pick up a pair of the Powder RX's too? Can you give a comparison of how they ski. I've ridden a pair of 186 Lhasa's and was very impressed. Had narrowed down my choices to that or the RX. Well, until I started hearing about a 191 Lhasa anyway.

They are fairly different skis. They are fat, they have tip rocker but the Lhasa has a softer (but not soft) shovel and modest pintail while the Powder Rx has a stiffer tip, slight twin tip/tail and is shorter : 196 vs 189.

The Power Rx obviously turns a bit quicker and has better edge hold on the hard stuff; the Lhasa floats better.

I haven't had a lot time on either but I should ski them some more tomorrow and next week and report back.

(I am thinking of selling the Powder Rx just to narrow down my ridiculous quiver. I think my Pontoons are being handed down to my younger son for next season. )

Got my first day on the 96's at Mammoth filming with the Snowman... Best ski I have ever been on!!! I'm still trying to wrap my head around how they combined a strait up playful floaty pow ski with a strait up kickass balls to the wall charging ski and not compromise in either category, it does both… Its like the ski knows what the conditions are and how your skiing them, then becomes the perfect ski for that specific situation, I don’t know what’s going on here but I like it. Edge hold is solid feel safe on firm/ice above exposure, tracked pow feels untracked, easy to maneuver between around trees/rocks, narrow places, and super easy to ski (it feels like I’m cheating) but it has that 196 platform which on landings is unmatched, landing off balance is not an issue its like they pick you up and point you in the right direction on impact. They go from a slarve to a carve on command almost as if the ski can see or sense firm snow coming and prepare for it before you even see it weird I know. Don’t take my word for it, try them, and see for yourself, you’ll be happy you did FKNA
    Follow me to the Pow Pow

^^^^ was that you on Balls yesterday? Some pretty nice hucks.

Thumbs up

I had about 5 days on some 196 carbons and just got out on my 196 glasses. I went glass because the weight doesn't bother me and I wanted a slightly softer ski, this is a play ski for me. I have 192s as my hard chargers.
    I'm 6'2" 195. I mounted them half an inch ahead of the line, 42.5 inches from the tip. Love them there. it really helped with the slightly washy tail I felt on the carbons which were on the line. Plenty of tip float yet handled firmer snow better. More stable on edge and easier to get into the sidecut. The slightly softer flex is a little less stable at speed, but they don't really top out, just have to be more careful on them. Really down with these skis. Had a grin on my face all day today.

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY01 View Post
    ^^^^ was that you on Balls yesterday? Some pretty nice hucks.
    That was them, Larry01. Heard they all stuck the shit out of that fukker. Unfortunately, the Snowmang has had some issues with his editing program, but atrain has the helmetcam footie and will prolly post it soon. Helmetcam footie off Balls is gonna be schweeeeet!

In other news, the last 186s and 196s for the year are almost done and shipping soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd Wong View Post
    I had about 5 days on some 196 carbons and just got out on my 196 glasses. I went glass because the weight doesn't bother me and I wanted a slightly softer ski, this is a play ski for me. I have 192s as my hard chargers.
    I'm 6'2" 195. I mounted them half an inch ahead of the line, 42.5 inches from the tip. Love them there. it really helped with the slightly washy tail I felt on the carbons which were on the line. Plenty of tip float yet handled firmer snow better. More stable on edge and easier to get into the sidecut. The slightly softer flex is a little less stable at speed, but they don't really top out, just have to be more careful on them. Really down with these skis. Had a grin on my face all day today.
    That's interesting, Alex. The recommended mount is 42 and 1/8 inch from center of tip, no bends.

Just popping in to say that I gave them the full-on Crested Butte durability test today and they passed with flying colors. Stomped rocks, skied rocks, at one point a rock was 2" above the hard snow surface under some pow and i felt it grind across the base and down 3/4 of the edge, and there's a small nick on the base and a couple minor edge burrs. Good shit for sure, not much worse for a ski than a rocky CB day.

I have had the luck of skiing both the 186 and 196 Lhasa this year so here's my musings.

Me:

Height - 6'2"
    Weight - 210
    Age - 28
    Skiing Background - I've been skiing since I was three including ski racing until the age of 16. I don't think I have had a season under 50 days since I was 14.
    skis - 186 Glass Lhasa mounted on line
    196 Lhasa mounted 1cm forward

------

I ordered the 186 glass Lhasa's this fall and eagerly anticipated receiving them. The early season at Lake Louise was one of the worst I can remember so I held off mounting them for as long as possible. Finally, in early January a storm dropped over 60cm's in two days so it was finally time to mount them up and take them out for a spin. My first impression on them was skiing a groomed run from one lift down to the other and I was very impressed by the way they handled on corduroy. My first powder run was simply amazing. The ski was fast and buttery, slashes came with ease and the way they handled high speeds was great.

Unfortunately on my second or third run of the day I got a bit too greedy by skiing somewhere I knew I shouldn't have been and cranked a rock going full speed. The edge remained intact but the sidewall cracked in a couple places but with some rudimentary repairs they remained skiable.

Over the next few days I skied them in a variety of conditions, including but not limited to powder, crud, hardpack, ice and everything else the Rocky's could throw at me and the skis did very well in all conditions. The only aspect in which I felt they were lacking was the tails felt a bit lacking for stomping landings, but I attribute this more to my physique then a flaw in design.

Eventually the broken ski had enough of my shenanigans and became unskiable. It was a sad, sad day in my world and I begrudgingly went back to skiing my 193 Faction 13's which, while a great ski, don't hold a candle to the 186 Lhasa.

Splat, who is now a legend in my eyes, agreed to send me a pair of 196 Lhasa's to replace the 86's and they arrived just in time for a trip to Chatter Creek.

I was pretty convinced that there wouldn't be a ski which could top the 86, but I found it in the 96. In my four days at Chatter we skied everything from boot top powder, to south facing death crust, to slop to corn and they absolutely tore every condition a new asshole. The ski was stable enough for me to be clocked by GPS going 111km/h straight lining a glacier after airing a cornice, but supple enough to butter through the nastiest slop in the trees. It even performed on refrozen mank at Lake Louise later in the week. My concern with the tails evaporated. The 196 takes everything the 186 excels at and steps it up a notch or two into the realm of the unbelievable.

Big props to Pat and the team and PMGear for not only making two of the best skis I have ever been on, but also for being amazing people and taking unbelievable pride in the product they manufacture.

Now some photos:

Last edited by powslut; 04-13-2009 at 11:54 PM.

some more Lhasa stoke off Granite Chief at Squaw

6', 165 lbs and skiing the 196cm Carbon. They took a few runs to get used to on the groomed but they can set an edge and make a turn well. In anything soft (spring slush, windblown, etc.) they kill. In variable hard/soft conditions (think windblown pockets and windblown ice) I'm getting thrown around a bit but blame user error.

I was not planning on getting a pair, but after skiing some for a spring day I couldn't hold back. I've never skied so fast with so much control. My roommate describes them as "Ricky Bobby skis" and I fully agree.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

These skis sounds as if they might be the ultimate weapon. I'm torn between the Llasa Pows (196) and Moment Comis for my deep snow ski for next year. Comis are wider but the Lhasas may be the ultimate in terms of versatility. Much to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by powslut View Post
    I have had the luck of skiing both the 186 and 196 Lhasa this year so here's my musings.

Me:

Height - 6'2"
    Weight - 210
    Age - 28
    Skiing Background - I've been skiing since I was three including ski racing until the age of 16. I don't think I have had a season under 50 days since I was 14.
    skis - 186 Glass Lhasa mounted on line
    196 Lhasa mounted 1cm forward

------

I ordered the 186 glass Lhasa's this fall and eagerly anticipated receiving them. The early season at Lake Louise was one of the worst I can remember so I held off mounting them for as long as possible. Finally, in early January a storm dropped over 60cm's in two days so it was finally time to mount them up and take them out for a spin. My first impression on them was skiing a groomed run from one lift down to the other and I was very impressed by the way they handled on corduroy. My first powder run was simply amazing. The ski was fast and buttery, slashes came with ease and the way they handled high speeds was great.

Unfortunately on my second or third run of the day I got a bit too greedy by skiing somewhere I knew I shouldn't have been and cranked a rock going full speed. The edge remained intact but the sidewall cracked in a couple places but with some rudimentary repairs they remained skiable.

Over the next few days I skied them in a variety of conditions, including but not limited to powder, crud, hardpack, ice and everything else the Rocky's could throw at me and the skis did very well in all conditions. The only aspect in which I felt they were lacking was the tails felt a bit lacking for stomping landings, but I attribute this more to my physique then a flaw in design.

Eventually the broken ski had enough of my shenanigans and became unskiable. It was a sad, sad day in my world and I begrudgingly went back to skiing my 193 Faction 13's which, while a great ski, don't hold a candle to the 186 Lhasa.

Splat, who is now a legend in my eyes, agreed to send me a pair of 196 Lhasa's to replace the 86's and they arrived just in time for a trip to Chatter Creek.

I was pretty convinced that there wouldn't be a ski which could top the 86, but I found it in the 96. In my four days at Chatter we skied everything from boot top powder, to south facing death crust, to slop to corn and they absolutely tore every condition a new asshole. The ski was stable enough for me to be clocked by GPS going 111km/h straight lining a glacier after airing a cornice, but supple enough to butter through the nastiest slop in the trees. It even performed on refrozen mank at Lake Louise later in the week. My concern with the tails evaporated. The 196 takes everything the 186 excels at and steps it up a notch or two into the realm of the unbelievable.

Big props to Pat and the team and PMGear for not only making two of the best skis I have ever been on, but also for being amazing people and taking unbelievable pride in the product they manufacture.

Now some photos:

nice review. I will be ordering a pair of 196 carbons for alaska next season.

After 10-1/2 months of down time and a shitload of leg muscle atrophy, I finally skied the 196s yesterday at Squaw after skiing the 186s all last season and on the day of Shane's memorial. This was my second day back on the snow after two surgeries, the last of which was about 30 days ago. I've been waiting, as the 196 was developed after my season-ending injury that occurred on May 31st last year, which caused me to miss the one day of chair-accessed season that was left in the Sierra, but all of this year until last week.

Skied the carbons. Me: 220 lbs and almost 6-2.
    The one thing that struck me the most was the damp stability of the 196 over the 186 and the easy carvaciousness of the ski. Where the 186 bounced on little slush piles, the 196 just blazed with extreme confidence, like a Cadillac compared to a small BMW in which you felt every nuance in the road. I have barely any muscle left in my legs, especially the one that has a knee of scars, but they just screamed so smoothly. Fall line turns were the turns of the day yesterday. I am so stoked on the 196. wow.

edit: Nice to see you getting the most out of that big metal tailbar, Jim!

I am so stoked on the 196. wow.
    You should say "thank you" to a great guy, called splat.

Yep, thanks Splat.

This is a reallly good ski that shines in cut up pow, junk, and of course....pow.
    Last edited by Jim S; 04-14-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Yeah the 196 will be my next ski purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    6', 165 lbs and skiing the 196cm Carbon. They took a few runs to get used to on the groomed but they can set an edge and make a turn well. In anything soft (spring slush, windblown, etc.) they kill. In variable hard/soft conditions (think windblown pockets and windblown ice) I'm getting thrown around a bit but blame user error.

I was not planning on getting a pair, but after skiing some for a spring day I couldn't hold back. I've never skied so fast with so much control. My roommate describes them as "Ricky Bobby skis" and I fully agree.
    I have not noticed you having any difficulty skiing those at all

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby686 View Post
    Got my first day on the 96's at Mammoth filming with the Snowman... Best ski I have ever been on!!! I'm still trying to wrap my head around how they combined a strait up playful floaty pow ski with a strait up kickass balls to the wall charging ski and not compromise in either category, it does both… Its like the ski knows what the conditions are and how your skiing them, then becomes the perfect ski for that specific situation, I don’t know what’s going on here but I like it. Edge hold is solid feel safe on firm/ice above exposure, tracked pow feels untracked, easy to maneuver between around trees/rocks, narrow places, and super easy to ski (it feels like I’m cheating) but it has that 196 platform which on landings is unmatched, landing off balance is not an issue its like they pick you up and point you in the right direction on impact. They go from a slarve to a carve on command almost as if the ski can see or sense firm snow coming and prepare for it before you even see it weird I know. Don’t take my word for it, try them, and see for yourself, you’ll be happy you did FKNA

Here's bobby686, atrain, rugby dave, and max from that day at mammoth in what I guess is the first 86/96 footie that was shot by the snowman.
    bobby played those 96's real nice but it looked like they didn't want to drop through those rocks, bobby Like a wild pony, I think they'll feel best at a full gallup.
    Snowman is gonna throw down the goods with the final cut here soon.

http://www.mammothsnowman.com/

i'm torn between the 196 and newly available 191
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...