Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Do they hold the same warranty for up to 200' hucks? Cuz I was thinking of just airing the whole venue.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

We increase that to 300 feet if you plan to land on rock.
    There. You have no excuses.

wondering about size

im 6' 175#, 21 yrs old,

ski my 189 vct everyday in tahoe

want to get a carbon and mount with barons for slackcountry, and shorter bc missions.. I know the 196 would mash at the resort but im concerned about it being overkill in the bc
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Me: 5'10", 170ish lbs depending on the day, 23yo, 21 years skiing, terrible at reviewing skis.
    Skis: 196 carbons, Dukes mounted on the line, no detuning or any such nonsense
    Skis I like: I've been on Ninthward THA 187s for a couple years, and love them in every condition. Also have liked 192 bros, 188 bros, Pogo Holmes
    Didn't like: 185 praxis pow, 188 praxis hybrid, salomon sandstorms

Today: first fresh snow in 2 wks, 4-5" of fluff on a variation of 3" suncrust, refrozen mashed potatoes, recycled pow (north), and everything inbetween.

196s: I enjoyed them. My first couple turns I definitely had to adjust how I stood on the skis, but stance became natural quickly. Surprisingly light is the first impression. Noticeably lighter than my 187 THAs with 997s, even with the dukes. I think this and the rocker combine to make them ski hardpack and unbreakable ice crust pretty similarly to the 187s. Pretty predictable on this stuff, they pretty much feel like they're just a ski.

Getting into some pow bumps, they're not quite as maneuverable as the 187s, probably due to the extra width and stiffness. I have a tight bump-skier stance, and occasionally would hook up the tips when making tight quick turns. The tips definitely need to be driven a bit. Not as much as a B-squad or m103, but you also can't just stand on them like a sally sandstorm (gun lab). This became more apparent in some tighter trees with 6-10" of pow. They make beautifully stable short-radius turn in this situation, but need to be forced into it. Took a couple small airs and mini pillow lines, and they were bomber-stable on the landings. Predictable.

Hopefully winter comes back and I can put them through the motions in bottomless deeps. If it happens, I'll report back. For now, comfortable saying that once I detune the tails a bit I'll be happy riding these every day. They're like a comp ski with schizophrenia that also thinks its a pow ski. Looking forward to more days to really dial them in. Also psyched to tour on them. So light!

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    wondering about size

im 6' 175#, 21 yrs old,

ski my 189 vct everyday in tahoe

want to get a carbon and mount with barons for slackcountry, and shorter bc missions.. I know the 196 would mash at the resort but im concerned about it being overkill in the bc
    You'd be plenty happy on 186s.

As said very happy with the carbon 186s in Slovakian tight trees.

Splat,

Would you recommend a 191 for me in the Alps in case you gonna press these one day? Or, if not, sack up for a 196 or stick with another 186? You know what my skiing is like.

Wait and see, Hicks. We're still pressing, then we're taking a break, then we're hitting the design table for next year's awesome.

edit: Just happened to notice the post count on this thread.......

Lhasa Pow 186 vs 196 Review (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) eldereldo

Today 03:01 PM by splat

I haven't skied the 196's but splat gave me a pair of the glass 186's to play with last weekend and all I can say is: #$&*@%! there are good skis. They were mounted with some heavy ass Tyrolia rental binders but despite my concerns about the weight, they felt light and nimble on the snow. I skied them at Mt Rose and had everything from hardpack to crud to some pow stashes and they slayed it all. I skied from open to close both days and was having a blast.

Very stable in crud and at speed, they make whatever turn you want them to, with confidence. I was giggling like some school girl skiing the Chutes, it was so much fun. Took me 3-4 runs to figure them out and then it was non-stop fun. My first time on a rockered ski and I'm a convert. They are especially good in the chopped up crud, stable and fast, but they lay down some nice tracks on groomers. Didn't find their speed limit. Got asked lots of questions about them, so hopefully that turns in to some business for splat.

Kudos to splat for nailing a good design. Now, when are my carbons gonna be ready

mark

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    1. Both were mounted on the line.
    2. Seem to remeber Pat saying that in the Lhasa the carbon isn't to save weight, it is to make the ski stiffer without having to change the design.
    3 Yeh, my wife rocks, she will pretty much go anywhere I will, a little slower (sometimes) but she will always try. And now I am getting her into a little hucking, she was having a hoot on Big Timber on Monday bouncing over all the stumps and drops with the new snow.
    Oh, no, eldereldo....the carbon is to both save weight and add stiffness, it's just that by adding carbon, we're able to take out glass.
    One begets the other. Glass and resin are the bulk of the weight in a wood ski, unless it's made with hardwoods.

The Lhasas suck...I'm not happy with them at all. 186 carbons...

LMAO...seriously though. I have been wanting to do up a review on them but have been too lazy, so I will add here.
    When I ordered these skis based on the reviews and dimensions, I had very high expectations of their awesomeness. These fuckers turned out to blow my expectations out of the water. I just simply am very suprised at how versatile a fat ski can be. Stable, fast, slow, long turns, quick turns, quick edge to edge for the size. Fucking amazing ski. Powder (of course), chopped, chunky, groomers, straight lines, tight trees...it's all FKNA!

So, I did get one warning with them, and that's that the tails will wash out if back seating it on hard pack. I though....hmmmm let's just see about that...yup, turns out they do, and I won't be trying that on purpose again. But you shouldn't be back seating it anyway so whatever. The only thing I don't like them on is boilerplate, but I don't like boilerplate on any ski, and avoid the shit like the plague as it triggers my knee pain.

I will be selling off my light weight touring set up and replacing that with another Bro model for next year...probably the 179's or some thing. Will have to see, but they will definately be Bro's.

Just to add to my review:

Today = 5" of fluff windblown into all the right places. I have no trouble saying now that the 196 carbons are the best skis ever made. NO i haven't tried all of them, but I have skied a bunch, and the 196s are heavenly perfection. Tight trees, windcrusts, 60* steeps, tight pillow lines, fast pillow lines, airs, soft bumps, it doesn't matter what you're skiing. The pintail is perfection, its so easy to sink into anything to adjust your line or dump speed, there is no top end, stability is similar to the 192s, but better in pow because you will NOT sink the tips and they're less hooky.

Now, I'm so glad I got the 196 vs the 186. The 186 is good, and probably more than enough ski for me, but the 196 is just sick. Its like the first time I went from skiing my 177 Volkl Karmas at Alta a couple years ago to skiing 188 Bros. I went from riding a kiddy tricycle to a fucking harley. So much fun... don't know what else to say except that these are the best skis ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmurphy View Post
    I went from riding a kiddy tricycle to a fucking Hayabusa.
    There, jong fixed it for ya

had to search, but yeah, this fucking thing right here:

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    I will be selling off my light weight touring set up and replacing that with another Bro model for next year...probably the 179's or some thing. Will have to see, but they will definately be Bro's.
    Lhasa carbons with Dynafits tour like you read about.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I will chime in with another review soon but FWIW, I'm around 195lbs and the 186 carbons are fine in most conditions. For touring the length is perfect. I'm waiting on some 196 carbons and will give my .02 after a few days on them.

The 186 is an incredible ski! Once you pick up on the different ways to ski them, a pirma grin becomes plastered to your face!

GET A PAIR! You won't be dissappointed!
    Hey, Schwerty,

Your 196s shipped today. I can't remember if you asked for a flat spot on the tail for skins, but you got one.
    edit:
    Now you'll be about the third guy to have both.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Hey, Schwerty,

Your 196s shipped today. I can't remember if you asked for a flat spot on the tail for skins, but you got one.
    edit:
    That made my day Pat! I'm hanging out in Florida on a family vacation dreaming about the 196's while showing off my belly on the beach. Not a bad thing to come home to!

I was hoping to get a flat tail on the 186's. Didn't happen but I ended up putting Dukes on them. So, touring isn't really a priority. Happy to have the flat spot on any ski though!

Thanks for making the best sticks around! Can't wait to ski them!

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Lhasa carbons with Dynafits tour like you read about.
    Already have Dukes on the ones I have now, and no point getting the same ski x2. Going with some thing different, and yeah, throwing Dynafits on for sure.

I really like my 179's for a touring setup. They are incredibily light, with plenty of float for what I like skiing in the BC

196 LHASA POW carbomb Review

Mounted per whatever the line said with looks

Other skis i like: Thugs, Kuro, XXL, Lotus 120(2), Darkside, EHP, S7, Sally Rocker

Impressions: On the pack - wikcad quick edge to edge, not squirrelly, just rolls effortlessly(for a 196) and hooks up well. Damp and smooth. Easiest skiing big ski that isn’t a reverse/reverse or dorky one trick pony “fun” ski. [yeah S7s are really easy, but are not as substantial as the lhasa]. Hauls ass in broken snow or powder as fast you want. +400vert/turn. As expected, the stability increases in the deep or beat up snow.

Cool thing is its maneuverability; work well at all speeds particularly in soft snow. Skis tight trees like a dream. Some skis go fast but suck when you need to hop them or dump speed in a tight spot - the Lhasa’s totally have this move.

So in sum – A fast ski that has huge range. Way more versatile than most skis out there, imho. Overall its more a forward driver, than side to sider, but totally cool in the air and can easily get all slarvy when needed. [and no silly tail wash out]. Its the ski I grab when heading out the door.

PmG nailing it on so many levels.

me: z-bo. i ski powder. a lot. i also break shit as well as i ski powder
    ski: 186 carbon w/fritschi's and garmont radium boots
    where: in the WA b/c

synopsis: first off these skis are extremely light. i ride dynafits in the spring and am looking forward to the epicness of such a lightweight fat ski touring setup. now these are light skis, but don't ski very light. they haul ass in every condition. i've been on the 186's for about two months and have skied them in every type of powder or crust imagineable. the first two weeks on these skis i was going deep in the b/c to find north/northeast facing pow mixed with suncrust. the skis would float and carve the fast, steep two week old pow but would also have no problem staying stable when i would hit a patch of crusty ice gnar at 35 mph. that really impressed me. i'd never been on a ski that could inspire the confidence and aggressiveness i gained when skiing these conditions. i had to get new boots because my old garmonts were just bending in half when going from pow to ice, but the skis had no problem. the last two weeks i've been skiing deep consistent powder and have been able to green light these skis in open pow fields and high speed tree runs. one thing i've really noticed in perfect conditions is that the 186's like to go really fast. it's really easy to slow down and smear out a turn real quick, but the deal is to keep 'em fall line and go like you're on a wide open groomer, because you know that if you hit the shit the ski will take care of you. the stomp factor is also sweet on these things. now i don't go big anymore, but i've been having no trouble staying forward and stomping 10-20 footers. i've also made myself ski these skis in bounds in typical chopped up pow conditions and they whooped ass. it was tons of fun being able to ski all inbounds conditions like i was skiing a groomer. i don't have any real gripes with the skis. my only one is pretty lame and it's that they don't sink in the pow as well as my 179 fatties did, but the rocker allows you to ski more aggresive so it's a fair trade off.

edit: ullr gave me the pleasure of deep powder skiing today. the lhasa's ski kinda like a swallowtail in deep pow in such a way that you can stand tall on the ski and not have to totally lean back to avoid tip sink. to ski correctly in pow or deep pow you want to stay low and on the balls of your feet (watch mcconkey) but it takes a ton of muscle/energy to do this. when you get tired and stand up to alleviate the fire it's nice to not have to lean waaaayyy in the back seat.

Last edited by Zeedashbo; 03-17-2009 at 11:03 PM.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Thanks for the stoke, Z-bro.

New Rule Request: You have to throw in a pic with your reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Hey, Schwerty,

edit:
    Pat -

The 196's look beautiful! Thanks!!!

I will chime in with comments after I get a chance to take them out.

Splat, are you teasing us with 191s .. ?

Can't wait for the design session to play out ;p
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

I don't think there's any teasing about it, khyber....

Just a heads up - we cut off orders so everyone can ski the rest of the season, but we built two or three too many pair of 196s (yes, we're pressing 186s now).

If anyone wants a pair of 196s, we'll dump two pair for $775 each shipped (US). They are carbons.
    These have a hot new topsheet we expect to not chip.

Christine

Me