Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GlimmerIII View Post
    So Splat-Do I just call with my visa now and then start PMing you in May to see what skis your sending me in November? How many pairs? wife kids me

You wouldn't be the first person that did that, Glimmer...

After reading all of these reviews, I'm really inclined to buy a pair of the Lhasa's, probably carbon, as a touring/all around ski for the next few years, but I've got some qualms about my size being a factor.

I'm 5'8", 145#'s, agressive skier with a pretty athletic build. I have a pair of 188 bro stiffs with naxo's on them and have skied them for a week or so. They charge great in powder and crusty or dense snow. For cut up snow they are equally as stable, but toss me around a little more which I suspect is because I'm on the lighter side. They rail on groomers, and in the 5 days I've skied them, they've improved my stance and skeletal alignment in order to get them to edge better. Moguls are a bit harder to negotiate, but thats the same with any wide and long ski that I've skied. I've been on 3 half day tours with them. They can get me there, but they're a little more work than what I'd like to deal with for a frequently used setup.

I guess what I'm ultimately asking is how much of a difference is there between the 2 skis, and how does the weight on the 186 lhasa carbons compare to that of the bro stiffs? And if I get the feedback I'm expecting to get, they'll probably be a pair of 188's on the cheap($250+ship) in gearswap within a week or two as I get finances in line

as an aside, the bro stiffs are probably the single most solid feeling ski I have held. The sidewalls feel absolutely indestructilble, and the only thing I've noticed in terms of durability is the topsheets have a few minor chips in them. All around awesome product

Difference between 188 stiffs and 186 Lhasas? Night and day. Maybe more like dark empty space and standing on the sun. 186 carbons are probably a quarter to a half pound lighter per ski tha the 188s.

And if you thought the 188s changed your stance, it's in for another makeover with the 186s.

Splat, do you have an approximate turn radius for the 186 and 196?

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Subject to being wrong, I think it's about 35 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    35m - 186
    39m - 195
    Knowledge is Powder

My wife skis on the 186 Carbons unless it is pure hardpack, and there she uses 174 Stiffs she is about your height, but lighter

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    My wife skis on the 186 Carbons unless it is pure hardpack, and there she uses 174 Stiffs she is about your height, but lighter
    ^^^what i was looking for.

Now to scrounge up that $$$

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Okay are you serious here, or busting his balls? Cause I'm about sold on the 186 Carbons, after being told to put my ego in check and just say no to the 196s. But...

5'8 175lbs

"...and ain't none of it slack-bellied."

I'm 5'11" 160.
    Used to ski the 192 big bro superstiffs everyday.

Competed on them.

This year I have been skiing the 186 carbon lhasas and will be competing on them as well.
    Super stable, stompable, and just way funner to ski. I have a blast on them no matter the conditions and have never held back because of them.

All this being said haven't tried the 196's yet.

Athan - have you gotten the 196s we shipped to you????
    Hopefully, we didn't have an old address.
    Those went out a while ago.

Well after I got my 196 carbons I got 2 groomer runs on them then loaded up and headed for haines. Got to town and not 20 minutes later was dumped on top a huge face which then followed up with a treed section that dumped into a couloir. Ripped the first face and the trees. Got to the gully and was fairly tight. Made a few tuerns and it rolled over. Checked up and instantly mt sluff caught me and sent me toward a 15ft ice fall. I was sideways and getting buried. Saw what was coming and knew I had to getm straight or I could be fucked. Managed from a seated on the tails sideway slide to straighten them out and air it clean only to lose a ski on the runout. Either way the fact I could square them as quick as I did in that shitty ass welcome to haines you gaper position I was in says a lot about there ease to ski. Mind you I'm 5'10" 155 and I did this under a sluff pile.

Fukkin skis really do kill it. Ripped them all day from huge STEEP faces with variable conditions to tree blower shots these things are a wet dream and easy to toss.

Hope to get pics up later but for now words must suffice.

So stoked hope to scout some lines while here and really be able to send it. Conditons are super stable with mucho pow. Snowin now but suppose to clear tomorrow.

Anyone want to come and play cameraman on the maiden 196 lhasa pow ak tour? If so get here and these babies will lay down the lines.

Gotta get back to my whiskey.

Damn, you are the first person to throw those babies on AK snow.
    That's gotta be heaven for those babies and my own personal wet dream.
    I don't think I'm gonna be able to pull my knee together in time for some AK runs this season.
    Damn....

splat, Llasa's arrived this morning. Simply beautiful skis with great service. First time I've seen your product in the flesh. Superb grind job & very consistent edges. I've already twatted the top sheet on one on my workshop door & not a mark. Didn't know about the alu tail piece which'll make them bomber as my previous skis have taken a beating there. They're in the hot box now getting some therapy for next weekend. Fedex feedback: collected Reno US 4th am & delivered Nottingham UK 6th am with not a mark on the packaging. Many thanks.

For those interested in weight. 196 Carbon Llasa'a = 4124g per pair flat.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 03-06-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by puhisurfer View Post
    Okay are you serious here, or busting his balls? Cause I'm about sold on the 186 Carbons, after being told to put my ego in check and just say no to the 196s. But...

5'8 175lbs

"...and ain't none of it slack-bellied."
    I'm serious, she loves them. I am 6' 175 lbs and I ski the 196 Glass, every day, in all conditions and I love them. I actually find the 186 Carbons to 'poppy' for me, but I ski old school over the tips and I actually weight/un-weight my turns so the shorter carbons just turn too quick doing that. I can change my style and ride them fine, and anyone who is used to more of a neutral, even weighted turning style would never think they are to turny, but I love the 196's to much to bother. And my wife wouldn't give the 186's back to me any ways.

The only issue with the longer ski is that if you need to sideslip thru tight spots, it just doesn't fit

I actually find the 186 Carbons to 'poppy' for me, but I ski old school over the tips and I actually weight/un-weight my turns so the shorter carbons just turn too quick doing that.
    Yah, I found the same thing .. it's weird getting on a ski & going 'I need to ski different..!'. I popped them so hard on Flute that day Eldereldo that my tracks had me clear out of the pow on the arc of the turn. After the 196 glass I felt like I was on a hovercraft with springs.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

I love my 196 glass more every day I ski them. I'm not really sure what else to say, but I'll agree with vailcat's comments about being able to hang on and survive situations I wouldn't normally. I've definitely had a couple of moments where a ski got away from me in weird snow and I slapped it back into place and railed the rest of the turn. Fun, fast, quick.... the most amazing thing about these boards is how versatile they are. Actually, they're not that great going slow on hard snow . Thanks Pat, Pechelman and everyone whose input developed these outrageous sticks.
    "Nothing like a very, very amorous woman in a leg imobilizer who dozes off every 3 1/2 minutes."
    -Notchtop

--anybody know the effective edge on 186--196

Effective edge on the 196 is 1610mm. Dunno about the 186.

186 - 1520

Haven't seen them yet Pat.

Maybe email me a tracking number?

I was out today sking the 186 Carbons using my new Garmont Radium AT boots as I want to try these in the back country, and I wanted to see if the Radium's would drive them OK. What I noticed is that the too turny feeling I get on these skis with my normal downhill boots (Nordica the Beast 12) is gone with the Radiums. It must be that since the boot is not as stiff, I am not over driving the skis. I had tried the Radiums and the 196's previosuly and decided that that combo just didn't work, the boots just weren't stiff enough. In any case the Radiums and the 186 Carbons are going to make a very sweet Side Country/ Short Trip Backcountry setup. I'd still want to go with the 179's and the dynafits for long trips, just because of the much lower weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    Haven't seen them yet Pat.

Maybe email me a tracking number?
    edit:
    My bad, Athan. They didn't make it. Sorry.
    We'll talk.

....dropped a pair of beat up 186 carbons at Cornice Sports in Kirkwood for all you guys that have wanted to try them since the last demo pair got ganked.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Also - just dropped a pair of beat up 186 carbons at Cornice Sports in Kirkwood for all you guys that have wanted to try them since the last demo pair got ganked.
    Yesssss. Think they'll let me use them for the comp?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Hell, yeah, but they'll charge you for filling the core shots.