Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    ^^^^^^Is this Gorilla, dude le skibum's friend?^^^^^^

SO STOKED (196 carbons arrived this weekend!)

I've got some special ideas about mounting them that I need to get worked out before the weekend...

can't wait to try them out in thigh deep bump runs

Splat.

Just a quick question out of curiosity.. Does PM gear have any plans to do some narrower sticks,like some 90mm lhasa pows?
    Obviously we have this economical situation and everything (with the cost of building different molds etc..) ,but is it against PMGears modus operandi to plan any skinnier bc/skinning sticks?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

^^^ good idea Meat... then we CAN start talking moguls!!!

I'd kill for something like the Lhasa in terms of carbon poppiness, with a 90mm waist, 20m radius, in a 185ish, something that I can ski every other day I'm not on Lhasas...

I know people are talking quiver of one with the Lhasa, but I'm really not one of those guys. If it's bulletproof and icy bumps off the groomed I'm on carvers, if it's not soft enough for something >100mm then I'm on 90mm waisted turnier skis. Right now my day to day ski is a 186 prophet 90, which I like a lot- but it's too heavy and dead feeling at times. Replace that with the feel of the carbon Lhasa and it'd be $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by toiletduck View Post
    Right now my day to day ski is a 186 prophet 90, which I like a lot- but it's too heavy and dead feeling at times. Replace that with the feel of the carbon Lhasa and it'd be $$$.
    Uh, dude, they make that exact ski but in a lightweight, poppy carbon version:

Quote Originally Posted by flip View Post
    Uh, dude, they make that exact ski but in a lightweight, poppy carbon version:
    What is that? I was pretty sure (checked a few places, and it was the consensus here) that Karhu Jaks were re-skinned Prophet 90s without the twin tail, and BC's were 100s?

What is that? I was pretty sure (checked a few places, and it was the consensus here) that Karhu Jaks were re-skinned Prophet 90s without the twin tail, and BC's were 100s?
    They made both a BC90 and a BC100. Pretty sure the Jak = Prophet 90, and Jak Team = Prophet 100 at least for awhile, but the BC was a different construction. Never skied the BC, can't comment on how it felt.

Prophet 90 = Jak --> swap metal for carbon = Jak BC (older) = BC 90 (newer)
    Prophet 100 = Jak Team --> swap metal for carbon = BC 100

I just saved you like $400, but I'm totally cool with just a 20% commission.

Review from telemarktips: http://telemarktips.com/SkiRev05_06.html
    Last edited by flip; 03-02-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
    Eldereldo, any chance you ski in a single colour suit type dealy?

Might have seen you in a liftline at whistler. Caught sight of the Lhasa's as you were going up the lift.
    Nope, Lime green jacket, black pants. That was probably Athen

I think he was talking about something with a rockered tip at a smaller waist...?

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Splat.

Just a quick question out of curiosity.. Does PM gear have any plans to do some narrower sticks,like some 90mm lhasa pows?
    Obviously we have this economical situation and everything (with the cost of building different molds etc..) ,but is it against PMGears modus operandi to plan any skinnier bc/skinning sticks?

Well, not much less than our standard 99mm waist and those are up for a redesign this summer that should really make those skis perform much better and kind of set a standard for what we feel will be a revamping of what traditional skis will look like in the future.

We might be delusional, but we might not....
    But we feel we'll make a solid contribution to the sport with what we have planned.

those are up for a redesign this summer that should really make those skis perform much better
    Splat, any plans to do the new Bro Model in carbon?

How about 105ish in the waist with rockered tip.....and carbon....Wailer 105ish...

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre LeCouloir View Post
    Splat, any plans to do the new Bro Model in carbon?
    We're gonna do a shitton of protos, so you can come up to Hood (hopefully, Mammoth) and try them, Pierre. We need to stock up on a bunch of different glass weights and carbon weaves, then do bunch of different cores, lay them up every which way and test them. It's entirely possible. We could just do glass, but the carbon is so fukkin sweet, we'll do carbon protos as well and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    How about 105ish in the waist with rockered tip.....and carbon....Wailer 105ish...
    We're also still considering the 188 redesign we discussed earlier that would have lhasa lhasa characteristics to it. And also incorporate some of what we now know into the rest of the line.

We're talking to a couple people who are building sizable factories in the US this summer about handling some of our production and it's looking very promising. I would really love it if we could outsource a good portion of our manufacturing and use the Reno shop for development. It costs us way more to make a pair of skis than probably anyone out there and this has kept us in the red, but doing better all the time. The little things we add to the skis and the spit-shine finish we do is all handcrafted work, requiring more time than a simpler-built ski. The guys we're talking to have an insane amount of experience in big name factories and think they can do it for less and I'm all about that if they make them right. If things work out (they always do ) our strategic affiliation with one of these outfits could end up in a partnership of sorts in time. Plus, it'd be so cool to get out of the red.

We doubled production this year through sheer hard work, long hours and a solid work force. Stroup, Tom, Yoshi and Noot, the intern, did a really good job of keeping up with a flood of orders for the Lhasas. But it really is a tedious, bust ass job that takes up a lot of time better put to use designing and testing. We're really committed to making sure the maggots bring every innovation possible with regard to skis in the coming years.

Sign me up for a 188 w/ rockered tip and around a 105 waist. Would be such a sweet touring ski, from an awesome company.

Toiletduck..

The Jack and Jack BC are replaced by the new Karhu Storm and Storm BC.. The BC does not have metal but carbon.. Traditional shape, no rocker.

http://www.karhuskico.com/products/product.asp?ID=7

The top sheet graphics are much nicer in person.. Really..

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    kind of set a standard for what we feel will be a revamping of what traditional skis will look like in the future.

But we feel we'll make a solid contribution to the sport with what we have planned.

No doubt about it. You guys are the cutting edge. This year, I have skied many skis, and the carbon Lhasas are the gold standard.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

5-6 pairs of 196 carbon blems will be posted in gear swap w/pics in two hours.

9pm.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    5-6 pairs of 196 carbon blems will be posted in gear swap w/pics in two hours.

9pm.
    DIBS
    I don't have enough days on the 196 to really compare and contrast and the 196 I have are glass and duke mounted vs carbon 186 with dynawhompars, but as a touring ski the 186 are perfect. I don't really find myself wanting 10 more centimeters and on bushwhacking and luge run snowshoe get outs I sure as hell don't need them. In bounds and in chopped up conditions the 196's are more stable and a blast most of Kyberpasses comments on the previous page pretty much sum up my feelings pretty well.
    Last edited by skifishbum; 03-03-2009 at 09:24 PM.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

FUCK FEDEX

Already a day late because they let my skis sit in Denver friday at 5 to tuesday morning at 1, fedex dude just walked past my door, clearly marked #5, and left a sticker on the door clearly marked #6. Want to fucking slap someone.

Used to be a Fedex believer and UPS hater, but they suck lately.
    My skis from Reno shipped UPS ground and arrived overnight to Norcal.
    Then Fedex slaps a bs "monthly account" charge on my account which I have to be on hold for 10 minutes to reverse.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmurphy View Post
    FUCK FEDEX

Already a day late because they let my skis sit in Denver friday at 5 to tuesday morning at 1, fedex dude just walked past my door, clearly marked #5, and left a sticker on the door clearly marked #6. Want to fucking slap someone.
    Did they come today, Tom?

That was today. Stupid mofo. I'll have 'em tomorrow noonish if he doesn't find another brilliant way to fuck this up .

Well, not much less than our standard 99mm waist and those are up for a redesign this summer that should really make those skis perform much better and kind of set a standard for what we feel will be a revamping of what traditional skis will look like in the future.

So Splat-Do I just call with my visa now and then start PMing you in May to see what skis your sending me in November? How many pairs? wife kids me