Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2-4-09 Olympus Memorial Couloirs

Went to work at 11am today. Upon arrival I realized I didn't have to work because I'm and idiot and a flake. So not to waste the day, I called Tom for a late tour on Olympus, starting at the crack of 1:00PM.

The idea was to repeat line #5. But we ended up skiing the more interesting #4.

Booted up it today, nice and comfortable in the shade. It's a fun double fall line couloir with nice quartzite rock walls.

Tom's first day out after a week long bout of vomiting and other nasty stuff.

The saddle at the north summit.

Mmmmm, smog.

Tom and I have a tendency to get into trouble.

Fun little traverse to the south.

Don't slip.

Looks like fun.

On the scramble over my camera bounced off a rock and the lens cap went into the void. Soon after I found that glass is no match for quartzite, hence the gnarly scratch on the photos from here forward. Oh well, new 5DM2 on the way.

Double fall line fun.

Zipity do da!

Pooooder turns.

This photo doesn't do it justice, but the spine I'm standing on goes on for quite a long ways and had the best damn skiing in the Wasatch on it. Fun narrow spine with soft pow...........

The spine continues on down, splitting the two couloirs.

And lastly.
    Last edited by Trackhead; 02-04-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Sweet half-day TR, check that, epic couloirs TR… sucks about the camera, but at least the car was unscathed—that parking lot is Wasatch dirt bag Smash-and-Grab central.

Sweetness. Inspiration to my lazy 1000'-vert-hiking ass.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

that's sick. sorry about the glass.

Very nice TH. That is a nice looking line. That's quite the scratch on the lens.

amazing difference in snow amount and quality from my experience on the west side tourist hiking trail today. Pretty much no snow until blister hill, ran the whole lower section back to the car. Great day.

Nice TR. Did you hike up #5 then traverse to #4?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSize View Post
    Nice TR. Did you hike up #5 then traverse to #4?
    Yes.........

What a sweet way to spend an afternoon. Way better than working Bummer about your lens though!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

nice sticker.

and hell of a couloir.

I'm not sure why, but this TR makes me want to ski Utah more than most any other Utah TR. Just looks like a fun day skiing some good lines.

Looks fun D, thanks for the TR.

so funny, i almost called you today to go hit that line at the exact same time you did ..... [twilight zone intro]weird[/twilight zone intro] .... literally!!!

gone for the weekend, but within a week of return and getting this year's and hopefully the next and the next's new touring set up dialed (finally for fuck's sake - fingers crossed) i'll be up for showing you how to go up and down and be a back to the car 3 beers down before you show up pussy

p.s. thanx for the pix twitcher!!!
    Last edited by Xover; 02-05-2009 at 12:04 AM.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Love it. Next time...we'll shoot some real pics you stupid pansy.
    The Griz

Sick, makes me want to ski.

This photo doesn't do it justice, but the spine I'm standing on goes on for quite a long ways and had the best damn skiing in the Wasatch on it. Fun narrow spine with soft pow...........
    Word. I here ya. I bet it was sick.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

I'm crying...but glad you had fun
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6 View Post
    Love it. Next time...we'll shoot some real pics you stupid pansy.
    How's that gonna happen if you won't get off your pussy blistered ass after a wee little trip up Raymond.

Lone Peaks gonna make you hurt, son.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Looks like fun.
    Fuck yea it does

Fun looking line.

Thanks for sharing.

I love how you justified a new body when you just scratched the lens. Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    I love how you justified a new body when you just scratched the lens. Classic.
    I'm buying the 5DM2 for video, I could really care less about it's photo capabilities. The video off this thing is retarded good. Like punch your mom in the head better than any other video camera under $25,000.

nice work.

That spine looks like a good time.

So I've been down that chute a few times but the spine is unfamiliar. When you exited the first narrow section did you go skiers left or skiers right? I've always gone right then you can either drop into 2 or continue down to the "waterfall".

Quote Originally Posted by harpo View Post
    So I've been down that chute a few times but the spine is unfamiliar. When you exited the first narrow section did you go skiers left or skiers right? I've always gone right then you can either drop into 2 or continue down to the "waterfall".
    Slightly right, but mostly direct fall line.

thanks,

I think I've always gone all the way right and stayed at the base of the next ridge. You dont want to go straight

Looking at your picture with the 1-5 it does look like you could go left if you can make it up on the next ridge.

Fun spot......