POV: Telluride Backcountry 1/31-2/1/09

We had three beautiful days at the Alta Lakes Observatory in the Telluride Backcountry. This was my third time at the hut and we were ready to ski one of the bigger lines in the area. We had thoughts of a stong snowpack in mind as the local crews have been getting shit done yet again this year, but with a very close call in the creek a day before our arrival, we were sure to be even more suspicious and on our toes like you always have to be in the San Juans.
    The first line is Alta 1, an esthetic pow shot behind the hut. The second line is our day three. It was time to step it up in the Silver Couloir. With the entire ascent being very variable ranging from non-breakable to breakable crust to pow, constantly changing, we decided on a variation that took us through the upper tube, to a traverse on a hanging snowfield, to the face adjacent to the Silver where we hoped the snow would be an improvement. After getting comfortable on day three I was wishing there was a day four and five...
    Need to get down there a lot more, although we didn't use them, T-ride offers the best lift accessed backcountry in the state and arguably the country.

Anyway enjoy, No music on this one...I think you'll agree it gives a better feeling of being there hearing as well as seeing...

Here's the link:

Can't figure out how to embed directly to the forum (first time using vimeo). Help me out!...
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife

This makes me even sadder about not making it...again.

Good stuff B...glad you boys had good times. Perhaps I need venture up your direction here soon...
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

sick.

here's how (click quote to see what I typed):

Yea Billy, looks a little variable for sure.

nice

brings me back

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    good times, BG, good times.

Hey brett, I can't see what you posted, may have to do with the work computer. I'll check when I get home...

Here are some pics to go along with the vid....

cold_smoke entering the first tube.

the line from the hut's shitter. Take it all in while letting it all out!

Another angle, tracks visible in both photos...

Damn dude....good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Damn, those were your tracks I was looking at from the top of Prospect lift on Sunday. I was jealous. Hardly ever see tracks in Alta 1. Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by cold_smoke View Post
    We had three beautiful days at the Alta Lakes Observatory in the Telluride Backcountry. This was my third time at the hut and we were ready to ski one of the bigger lines in the area. We had thoughts of a stong snowpack in mind as the local crews have been getting shit done yet again this year, but with a very close call in the creek a day before our arrival, we were sure to be even more suspicious and on our toes like you always have to be in the San Juans.
    The first line is Alta 1, an esthetic pow shot behind the hut. The second line is our day three. It was time to step it up in the Silver Couloir. With the entire ascent being very variable ranging from non-breakable to breakable crust to pow, constantly changing, we decided on a variation that took us through the upper tube, to a traverse on a hanging snowfield, to the face adjacent to the Silver where we hoped the snow would be an improvement. After getting comfortable on day three I was wishing there was a day four and five...
    Need to get down there a lot more, although we didn't use them, T-ride offers the best lift accessed backcountry in the state and arguably the country.

Anyway enjoy, No music on this one...I think you'll agree it gives a better feeling of being there hearing as well as seeing...

Here's the link:

Can't figure out how to embed directly to the forum (first time using vimeo). Help me out!...

very solid. high gnar factor.

props, serious gnarage

How do you like your Katana's?

after the heart beat sounds from the first segment, title could have been "The Tell Tale Heart".

crazy lines.

wow. sooo steep. cool stuff.
    Wagner Custom Skis
    Powder snow skiing is not fun. It’s life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality. What we experience in powder is the original human self, which lies deeply inside each of us, still undamaged in spite of what our present culture tries to do to us. Once experienced, this kind of living is recognized as the only way to live–fully aware of the earth and the sky and the gods and you, the mortal, playing among them. Dolores LaChapelle

huffin' likuh olivia newton john workout. nice.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Finally watched the vid.....

All I can say is SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by mtsprings View Post
    How do you like your Katana's?
    They're sweet, they were pretty pristene BEFORE that run!
    and nice sig!

Great Weekend thanks for showing us Sum Co guys around Billy!!!

You sounded scared and tired. Reminds me of exactly how I feel in those sorts of situations--the "DO NOT fuck up here!" situations. And then the close call towards the end. Nice work, man. Very cool.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Very sweet

Bumping an old thread because I'm considering planning a trip to the Alta Lakes Observatory and looking for basic info.

What's the terrain like? We won't be skiing stuff like in the video of the OP, but are there areas or lines that are reasonably safe? Since this trip has to be planned far in advance, can't predict snow conditions, and want to go somewhere that has decent safe skiing. Also, what is the access to the cabin from the ski area like?

Anything else you want to share, if you've been, would be great.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Wow, blast from the past! There is more big mountain stuff but plenty of low angle tree options above the hut and in the surrounding amphitheater to play around in. Didn't realize Alta Lakes was available to rent out again, that is fkn awesome! What an amazing display of hand-hewn architecture and detailed craftsmanship which is worth the trip in itself. Maybe the geode inlaid soaking tub is back in business as well!

Nice! Yep, the hot tub is supposedly back in action. It's pretty pricey so I don't want to go if big mountain slide prone stuff is all that's available.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy