Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Angry Volkl + made in China = poor quality

In mid January 2009, I purchasecd a pair of brand new 2008 Volkl Katana skis size 176 cm. When Tahoe finally got hit with some fresh powder a few days ago, I was excited to try them out. I skied them for five days and over the course of these five days I witnessed the skis falling apart before my eyes. The top laminate ripped off in every place where the edge hit the surface of the other ski. I noticed that in areas where I hit a rock under foot, the base simply popped out.

I was really surprised because I have a pair of 2004 Volkl 724 EXPs which I have skied for 5 years. They are really well made, solid and the quality is amazing. They proudly print on the ski "Made in Germany." The 2008 Volkl Katanas that I purchased only had a little sticker on the back of the ski that said "Made in China."

I started asking around and I discovered that apparently it is a known problem with quality issues with the Volkl Katana 2008. A ski store person told me that I can send them back to Volkl for a replacement. In asking around, it appears that many ski shop workers have noticed a dramatic drop in the quality of Volkl skis. I heard many stories of bindings simply ripping out of several models of Volkl skis. I think it is clear that when Volkl exported production from Germany to China, it made a strategic decision to decrease quality and increase profits. Volkl no longer makes a super high quality ski. They make a mediocre ski and charge premium price for it based off of their past reputation.

I own two pair of Volkls. One is awesome. The other is not. I am going to send my Volkl Katana's back to Volkl for a replacement but I can only wonder how much better the replacement is going to be. I know for sure it will not be close to the quality of my 2004 Volkl 724s that were proudly made in Germany versus the new ones that don't even print on the ski "Made in China" but relegate it to a small removable sticker. I think Volkl's reputation is going to peel off too.

A disappointed past Volkl fan,

Sherwood Forest

Wow NEVER heard this rant before...

SEARCH JONG!!! oh yeah and TECH TALK!

First year Katanas have problems, this has been known for quite some time. As much as we all appreciate your first post whining, maybe your time would be better spent searching to see if anyone else has had this complaint (which they have, to the tune of probably 100 posts in 20 threads).

Or you can make yourself look like an ass and start a new thread in the wrong forum. Your call.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

That sucks. Been skiing AC3's for a couple years and have been more than happy with the durability.

Good luck with the swap out

Dude, you're even more of a jong than I am.

Your post would be appreciated here: TECH TALK

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Some selected tunes from Xenophobic Classics...

Intro: Protectionist Strategies for New World Order
    Tell Me What's the 3rd World Good For?
    Pick Two: Cheap, Fast, Good
    MaMaMa My Gotama featuring Maiden Asia
    Not O'K2 Take My Job Away
    Wanting European but Can't Afford the Euro
    Globalization's Got Me Down
    Base Layer, Mid Layer, Outerwear but I Draw the Line at Skis
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

sweet blog.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ember View Post
    Dude, you're even more of a jong than I am.
    True

Quote Originally Posted by Ember View Post
    Your post would be appreciated here: TECH TALK
    False
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Sorry about posting this thread to the wrong forum. I did not see a forum category for equipment and did not realize that tech talk included equipment.

Could the moderator please move this to the proper forum category?

Pssssssst. I think you need to self moderate?

Quote Originally Posted by SherwoodForest View Post
    Sorry about posting this thread to the wrong forum. I did not see a forum category for equipment and did not realize that tech talk included equipment.

Turning is for when things get in your way ||

I still find it hilarious that people complain about a ski company that makes skis in Asia, when the skis are named:

Gotama
    Kiku
    Kuro
    Chopstick
    Katana
    Mantra
    Sumo
    etc...

You're cool with the cultural appropriation, but it has to be made in your pre-approved places. lol.
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    True

False

Christ I'm sick of this shit.

Why don't all you dumbasses who call out CHINA=BAD quit being so ignorant? China churns out some of the best products on the planet, just like Germany churns out some of the worst.

It's all about quality control and sourcing materials. Somewhere in the equation Volkl dropped the ball on the Katana. Just like K2 spent the majority of their years dropping the ball on Vashon Island, then finally got it right when they moved to china.

I'm not advocating outsourcing or China for that matter, those are different issues, but saying that something is inherently bad because it's made in China makes you sound real stupid, as does drawing a broad generalization over your little two ski sample experiment.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

I did not say China = bad. I said Volkl + made in China = poor quality. Focus my friend.

A closer analysis of your posts makes it clear that you are 1) trying to insult 2) trying to make it appear that you are an authority. I will stick to my facts, ignore your insult, and let the rest of the readers judge for themselves.
    Last edited by SherwoodForest; 01-28-2009 at 01:04 PM.

I did not say China = bad. I said Volkl + made in China = poor quality. Focus my friend.

A closer analysis of your posts makes it clear that you are 1) trying to insult 2) trying to make it appear that you are an authority. I will stick to my facts, ignore your insult, and let the rest of the readers judge for themselves.
    I think you'll love this place.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

ADVRES!! What the fuck are you doing?!?! Put this very important thread where it belongs!!
    If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid.

- Eddie Izzard

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    I still find it hilarious that people complain about a ski company that makes skis in Asia, when the skis are named:

Gotama
    Kiku
    Kuro
    Chopstick
    Katana
    Mantra
    Sumo
    etc...

You're cool with the cultural appropriation, but it has to be made in your pre-approved places. lol.
    Would people complain about the ski company if the ski didnt fall apart? Probably not. Its not the China thing...its the piece of shit ski thing. lol.
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Would people complain about the ski company if the ski didnt fall apart? Probably not. Its not the China thing...its the piece of shit ski thing. lol.
    Please. Do people hate on Tahoe when they have problems with Moment/PMG/Praxis? Do you blame Canada if your Arc'Teryx shell rips?

No. The place never gets mentioned.

I have the black Mantras and 2 year old gotamas. Both are in great shape and both have over a 100 days on them...maybe 150 on the Mantra.

They are still intact, and the black Mantras may infact be the remaining pair on the planet that haven't gone full delamo...but I'm probably just about the only one that actually skis on the bases.

Johnny's only sin was dispair

Gotama
    Kiku
    Kuro
    Chopstick
    Katana
    Mantra
    Sumo
    etc...

i actually find it funny that Volkl is a German company, but they name their skis after Japanese items, and then they have them made in China. not sure what Eastern Europe's fascination is with Asian culture.

my question would be, if you're going to persist in naming your ski models after Japanese artifacts, why not just have them made in Japan (the quality issues might be resolved as a bonus).

PS Johnny Deep:

Mantras have always been made in Germany (and I believe they still are). The "rule of thumb" was the Volkl's racing and non-twin tip skis were made in Germany and the rest were farmed out to China, although that may have changed (but i believe that the Mantras and their backcountry counterpart still say "Made in Germany" on the topsheet).
    Last edited by dookey67; 01-28-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Please. Do people hate on Tahoe when they have problems with Moment/PMG/Praxis? Do you blame Canada if your Arc'Teryx shell rips?

That's because

a) there's never ever ever been a problem with a Praxis ski ever, because they're the greatest skis ever made, ever.

and

b) if you complained about a problem with PM Gear skis, Splat would activate the LoJack located in the core of all Bro models and would immediately fly non-stop to your local international airport and pummel you with a pillowcase full of marker biometric toe bindings.

I'm not sure about Moment, but I like their rectangular tips.
    Do you by chance happen to own a large, yellowish, very flat cat?

No if I had a problem with Arcteryx, Id blame Arcteryx. The OP is blaming Volkl for changing their quality standards since moving to China. He didnt say China sucks. He said Volkl is producing a substandard quality ski now and is charging premium prices. China isnt making a substandard ski. They arent charging premium prices either.

"I started asking around and I discovered that apparently it is a known problem with quality issues with the Volkl Katana 2008. A ski store person told me that I can send them back to Volkl for a replacement. In asking around, it appears that many ski shop workers have noticed a dramatic drop in the quality of Volkl skis. I heard many stories of bindings simply ripping out of several models of Volkl skis. I think it is clear that when Volkl exported production from Germany to China, it made a strategic decision to decrease quality and increase profits. Volkl no longer makes a super high quality ski. They make a mediocre ski and charge premium price for it based off of their past reputation."

Doesnt sound like he is blaming China. Sounds like Volkl is cutting costs and making an inferior product compared to a few years ago before they moved to China.
    Decisions Decisions

Sherwood, You r a fucking idiot. Tech talk and next time try the search function you fucktard!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    ....Doesnt sound like he is blaming China. Sounds like Volkl is cutting costs and making an inferior product compared to a few years ago before they moved to China.
    Are you sure?

I am disappointed to find out the hard way that the Volkl skis made in China are a far shadow of the Volkl skis made in Germany.

It's no fun skiing a ski where you question whether the ski might easily break in any one of a number of "normal" skiing situations. I just purchased a pair of brand new 2008 Volkl Katanas and over four days my ski tops started to delaminate, my bases easily rip out with minimal contact with rocks, and I feel that the ski is really poorly manufactured.

Confidence. Do I have confidence in the Volkl Katana 2008? No. Do I have confidence in Volkl now that I have had to experience Volkl's dramatic drop in quality. No. Are the next pair of skis that I purchase going to be made in the USA, made in Italy or made in Germany? Yes.