A lump - about an inch and a half below the knee cap

I seem to have a lump that has developed about an inch and a half below my knee cap, on my left leg. Its about the size of a dollar and looks a bit like a reddish bruise. Its quiet sore to touch, does not feel warm, but my bone feels like it burns in that area, sometimes when I am just sitting. I have not knocked the bone or fallen or had any injury on that part of my leg.

Not sure if this is related, but I have been recently suffering from some slight tracking issues of the knee cap and often have a burning sensation after exercise along the outside groove of the knee where the knee cap sits. If I sit with my leg straight on the floor and move the knee cap around I get pain. I have been wearing a brace on that leg when I run and that seem to ease these symptoms.

Just some background info, I recently had a full return to sport after a ACL recon. (hamstring autograph) in July 08 and have been skiing not full days yet and jogging (mostly treadmill) for no longer than hour at a time. As well as weights at the gym.

I kneeled down last evening and once I got up I had pain behind the knee cap and the area just below the knee burned for a while after. I have also been aching in the knee after sitting for long periods that goes away fairly quickly once I move around.

I am by no means in agony, with the symptoms, I guess cause its been a few days since the lump arrived its starting to bug me a little.

Should I get it checked out ? anyone else has similar symptoms?

I did some searches but can only find similar symptoms for young kids. I am a 32 year old female.

Possibly a bursitis but just to be be on the star side get it looked at.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Maybe Osgood Schlatter Condition???

The description from webmd.. only because they have better wordage then I do:
    "Osgood-Schlatter condition (formerly known as Osgood-Schlatter’s disease) is a painful condition characterized by tiny, microfractures of the bony bump in the lower leg bone (tibia) where the ligament from the kneecap (patella) is inserted into the tibia. The bump is known as the tibial tubercle. It is a disorder of the early teens, especially during a growth spurt, more likely to affect young men than young women, especially athletes of either sex who are active in games requiring substantial running and/or jumping.

It is a common, transient, short-term disorder, also called an overuse condition, that usually requires only rest and restraint from further strenuous activity for a relatively short period of time before it heals itself."

I have this in both knees from years of hockey.

I was going to say maybe Osgood's too.

Your description of pain while sitting but then when moving it goes away is pretty consistent with tendonitis issues I've had in the past. Patellar tendonitis might not be out of the question. I had some tracking issues that manifested themselves as pat. tendonitis in the past.

At any rate, it sounds like whatever is going on, it's bothering you enough and you should probably go see a doctor.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

as she is 32 years old it is most definitely not osgood schtters. Osgoods only occurs in adolescents and more often in boys than girls.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Correct

I did not realize that, my bad. You would be correct.

Thanks for the replies. The symptoms seem to have cleared up. I had a couple of weeks rest and changed my training slightly, which seem to do the trick.