Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

To All You Poor A$$holes Stuck on Highway 50

It takes a certain dedication to live here in Tahoe. One must assume a level of poverty in order to ski or hike or bike or swim or climb or any of the myriad of activities that abound in the region. Because of this dedication we can find solitude in the mountains on a perfect winter's day, watch the sun set over a glassy alpine lake, or hike to places that few on this earth ever have a chance to visit. Other times this town is a shit show. It's impossible to get around because of all the tourons with little to no experience dealing with the snow. Just driving to the local market can include a 30 minute return trip (normally 5) when Highway 50 is all jacked. And speaking of all you fucktards stuck on Highway 50 i have one thing to say.

Thank You!!

My dedication pales in comparison to what it takes for you to get your family skiing.
    The lines and traffic to get to the mountain.
    The lines to buy your tickets.
    The cost of the tickets.
    The line for rentals.
    Cost of said rentals.
    Ridiculously expensive cafeteria food.
    Park forever away or pay $20. And if you're here on vacation with your family during busy periods, you can multiply everything above by 5 and then by 5 again because you're probably stressed. My heart goes out to you. When you're done, you get to sit in stop and go traffic all the way back to Placerville.

And I say thank you because it is your dedication that allows my dedication to pay off.
    Without you, I'd probably have to move to Vail.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I'd drive I70 any day over 50. That is the definition of SHIT SHOW. I was always happy to leave Tahoe on 50 or 80 EASTBOUND

I live in Ely because the hookers and blow are second to none.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Winnemucca, ya hurrrrrrrrrd?

That's why you pass in a school zone and are lucky to still have a drivers license and to not be parylised from a stroke when your blood pressure rockets through the stratosphere... THANKSALOT

Quote Originally Posted by tahoetrash View Post
    That's why you pass in a school zone and are lucky to still have a drivers license and to not be parylised from a stroke when your blood pressure rockets through the stratosphere... THANKSALOT
    parylised ???
    and i waited until just past the school zone, even though it was xmas break.

speaking of blood pressure rocketing, I'll call you at 7 tomorrow.

oh, pish posh with all the whining, ye nattering nabobs, you west coast people are so silly with your complaining of crowds and "traffic"

there will be like 8 cars on the "freeway" and we are going 40, everyone is all "oooh the traffic, oh no, the traffic"

unless it's dead stop on 1-95 in CT after the Q bridge or having the parking brake on sitting in the BQE, what you have out here, this is not traffic. you think these are CROWDS heading out of the city on the weekend? fuggetaboutit.

just like how people claim SF is "expensive"

maybe we should enact a mandatory "must live in NYC for 5 years before you are allowed to bitch about anything" policy :P

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    oh, pish posh with all the whining, ye nattering nabobs, you west coast people are so silly with your complaining of crowds and "traffic"
    I'm seriously not complaining (although i do). Traffic on 50 is almost always easily avoidable for locals, and I do admire what tourists go through. If my parents didn't take me from Florida to Keystone over xmas breaks in the early 80's I would never have caught the bug. The first time I saw mountains I knew. These aren't just tourists coming here. Those are future mags and maggettes (and their respective alii).

once you throw a cigarette butt out your window, the honeymoon is over.

HOORAY FOR 80!

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I'm seriously not complaining (although i do).
    ahh, i hear ya. i just wanted a chance to use the phrase "nattering nabobs"

nerdlove and i will be two of the poor assholes stuck on highway 50 this holiday weekend, so we shall see how bad it really is!

ahh, i hear ya. i just wanted a chance to use the phrase "nattering nabobs"

nerdlove and i will be two of the poor assholes stuck on highway 50 this holiday weekend, so we shall see how bad it really is!

I'm not sure whether it's a bigger shitshow on weekends like this one (sunny and warm) or in storms. Weekends like this you get a significantly higher volume of traffic. Storms you get, well, snow. I'd have to say storms, but part of that traffic is caused by accidents, idiots chaining up in the middle of the road, and closures due to accidents caused by idiots chaining up in the middle of the road (among other things).

At least 80 has side roads most of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

i drive up thursdays and go home saturdays. I Never have any problem with traffic on 50.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUTSKI View Post
    At least 80 has side roads most of the way.

So true. The access roads next to 80 were the best advice I have ever received from Scutski..... amazing when you can literrally look up at the parking lot on 80 and be driving 45 mph right next to it.

NICE Powdork......this is the ultimate answer to B11s I-70 rant.

No question you have to be dedicated to the sport of skiing to put forth so much effort.
    Donjoy to the World!

50 is a piece of cake. There's plenty of passing lanes. Now if they could build an overpass through Placerville then it would be even better. That will never happen.

If you are skiing Heavenly, you might want to think about having an early dinner in SLT before leaving. Traffic will be significantly less annoying if you leave after 6pm.

I feel bad when I take that 'super crazy secret route' around the traffic, and end up beyond the chain controls....no really, I do.

But in all seriousness, that's why I'm fond of Kirkwood. When you leave, its much more enjoyable, even on major weekends.

Eat.

Quote Originally Posted by StormDay View Post
    If you are skiing Heavenly, you might want to think about having an early dinner in SLT before leaving. Traffic will be significantly less annoying if you leave after 6pm.

Eat at Taqueria Jalisco.
    It's behind the sub place. Google it.
    You will not regret it.

maybe we should enact a mandatory "must live in NYC for 5 years before you are allowed to bitch about anything" policy :P
    or maybe we should inact a "Must have lived in the Bay Area for at least 5 years before you can bitch about it/compare it to the EC".

PS

I would absolutely love to find the "freeway" that only has 8 cars on it of which you speak. That would be amazing to ride on that sucker.

double

PPS
    Scut: I always find on sunnier weekends the traffic is less. Honestly, I think the late start to this season coupled with 70degree weather in the City (last night here was INSANE...cafes that have been closing at 7 were open well past 9 with people sitting on the sidewalk sipping coffee and wine) has less people thinking about hitting the snow and more sticking close to home to hike, play golf, and mountain bike.
    Last edited by dookey67; 01-13-2009 at 01:08 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Honestly, I think the late start to this season coupled with 70degree weather in the City (last night here was INSANE...cafes that have been closing at 7 were open well past 9 with people sitting on the sidewalk sipping coffee and wine) has less people thinking about hitting the snow and more sticking close to home to hike, play golf, and mountain bike.
    i can see that. this past weekend we went to pacifica, gray whale cove and half moon bay. it was 82* at the beach!!

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    play golf,

Golf is hurting too. My mailbox is full of golf bargains. 2 for 1 at the Wente? Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Commander View Post
    Eat at Taqueria Jalisco.
    It's behind the sub place. Google it.
    You will not regret it.
    can't think of the name, but I'm hearing good things about the new burrito place that took over the old KFC at 4th street by the Y.

Quote Originally Posted by tom111869 View Post
    50 is a piece of cake. There's plenty of passing lanes. Now if they could build an overpass through Placerville then it would be even better. That will never happen.
    That is happening...
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    So true. The access roads next to 80 were the best advice I have ever received from Scutski..... amazing when you can literrally look up at the parking lot on 80 and be driving 45 mph right next to it.
    So does I-70. I'd argue even better than I-80.

Powdork hit it on the head. I get frustrated with tourists as much as the next guy, but let's face it...without them, a lot of us wouldn't be here. Waking up at 5am to make the drive to the mountains with kids in tow to helps pay minimum wagers' rent. PD, thanks for reminding me of how we need to appreciate some tourists a bit more.
    Turning is for when things get in your way ||

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I feel bad when I take that 'super crazy secret route' around the traffic, and end up beyond the chain controls....no really, I do.
    you mean apache. that's not secret. every beater out there knows about apache.