Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'm not sure which three but I think that "Pizza" "French Fry" and "Bad Time" would make some good names, For more information you should watch the South Park Aspen Episode.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Fez- Its good that people don't really know about that rental situation.
    only reason i know about it is i heard a lifty at PK telling the starter jacket crowd about it.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Hi Fi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baseWeldr View Post
    Im with aeniggs, let the word of mouth get goin, help it along if you're up there alot talkin to people, perhaps future events will bestow a name upon a line -something like the maggot strainer trees...? d'oh!

Seems like the best and most meaningful names come from unique experiences in/on the line. Let the place play out for a while and good names will start popping into the everyday lingo.

On the other hand... the dirty names are the best ones in the pre-slushmans terrain, ie Mr. Cream Jeans, Wet Martha, DRCS, Clit Slit, etc. Offensive is good, as previously mentioned.

Hi Fi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyskir05 View Post
    I'm not sure which three but I think that "Pizza" "French Fry" and "Bad Time" would make some good names, For more information you should watch the South Park Aspen Episode.
    Yes!

"Now kids, if you French Fry when you want to Pizza, you're gonna have a Bad Time!"

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    only reason i know about it is i heard a lifty at PK telling the starter jacket crowd about it.
    That's actually been around for a long time, like 10 years.

Still,

I have heard, but can't verify, that the Bridger rental shop will be renting beacons this season as well. I have also heard that there's a sign that specifically states that the rented beacon is a "corpse retrieval device." It's all about the money, not how safe people are, or that they actually know how to use a beacon. Which, in my opinion, is incredibly scary, especially given the terrain that people can now access via a lift.

lhowemt is offline gaper-'airin out my teeth
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi Fi View Post
    Seems like the best and most meaningful names come from unique experiences in/on the line. Let the place play out for a while and good names will start popping into the everyday lingo.

On the other hand... the dirty names are the best ones in the pre-slushmans terrain, ie Mr. Cream Jeans, Wet Martha, DRCS, Clit Slit, etc. Offensive is good, as previously mentioned.

Oh how many great runs I had on DRCS, back in the day before they changed the Bridger lift and we made hot laps in North Bowl and High Traverse in the AM, then hike in PM.

But, times are a changing and there's more than one or two hot rippin chicks to put you boys in your place. Time to get more creative than "clit slit" and welcome them a bit more respectfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    I have heard, but can't verify, that the Bridger rental shop will be renting beacons this season as well. I have also heard that there's a sign that specifically states that the rented beacon is a "corpse retrieval device." It's all about the money, not how safe people are, or that they actually know how to use a beacon. Which, in my opinion, is incredibly scary, especially given the terrain that people can now access via a lift.
    it's not entirely about money. its about pressure from the paying guests. bridger is cool in that most skiers there are locals and pass holders, but there are still plenty of tourists. when you needed a beacon AND had to hike to get yourself into trouble, most tourists were willing to look up and see the crazy guys skiing the ridge and not worry about it.

once there's a lift to the trouble though and the only thing keeping them away is a couple hundred dollar piece of equipment they'll start to bitch about not being allowed on the lift.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

HEADS UP BRIDGER MAGS:

I talked to ski patroller Jim Mayo today, and he told me to pass this message along to people I know.

I noticed the new ropeline that blocks people from traversing to the south facing Slushmans ravine area, and I was really happy about that, and I let him know and that it would be great if they did the same at McRib Blah Blah Blah.

Anyways, he was saying that:

#1. They have had more people cliffed out in 2 weeks than in all seasons combined on the ridge. He was saying that part of the problem are people traversing past the gut of Slushmans and following patrols "Sucker Tracks" into the cliff areas that line the ravine lower down. The patrol has to get into those nasty areas now to do control work, but they have ropes, harnesses, and the whole deal to get them through those areas if they need it. I personally think its great that they aren't letting people traverse like lemmings over there. Not only will it make it easier on them, but now you are rewarded with a better, safer run if you drop in from the top.

#2. This is the important part. Jim was saying that they are very dissapointed at the ettiquite they are witnessing on Saddle. They have seen all kinds of shitshows out there involving people skiing on top of each other in bad spots, getting cliffed out and hiking up, ripping top speed down to the saddle cliffs and barely stopping in time then hiking back up, etc. All during CONSIDERABLE to HIGH avy danger.
    So they see all this going down and they are required to report it to the board of directors who are nervous to begin with, and now they are extremely nervous. They are talking about possibly shutting the boundary down, or, worst case scenario, closing the lift to the public. They don't want to wait for a tragedy, they feel they have seen enough stupidity to be taking these things into consideration already.

Jim also told me to relay this message to people. He said that we should call people out who are doing stupid shit, inbounds or out. Like I said in an earlier post, it will be partially up to us to help make the new terrain and adjacent boundary as safe as possible.

May the good Maggots set the example that will get us through this season without mishap!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    HEADS UP BRIDGER MAGS:

I talked to ski patroller Jim Mayo today, and he told me to pass this message along to people I know.

I noticed the new ropeline that blocks people from traversing to the south facing Slushmans ravine area, and I was really happy about that, and I let him know and that it would be great if they did the same at McRib Blah Blah Blah.

Anyways, he was saying that:

#1. They have had more people cliffed out in 2 weeks than in all seasons combined on the ridge. He was saying that part of the problem are people traversing past the gut of Slushmans and following patrols "Sucker Tracks" into the cliff areas that line the ravine lower down. The patrol has to get into those nasty areas now to do control work, but they have ropes, harnesses, and the whole deal to get them through those areas if they need it. I personally think its great that they aren't letting people traverse like lemmings over there. Not only will it make it easier on them, but now you are rewarded with a better, safer run if you drop in from the top.

#2. This is the important part. Jim was saying that they are very dissapointed at the ettiquite they are witnessing on Saddle. They have seen all kinds of shitshows out there involving people skiing on top of each other in bad spots, getting cliffed out and hiking up, ripping top speed down to the saddle cliffs and barely stopping in time then hiking back up, etc. All during CONSIDERABLE to HIGH avy danger.
    So they see all this going down and they are required to report it to the board of directors who are nervous to begin with, and now they are extremely nervous. They are talking about possibly shutting the boundary down, or, worst case scenario, closing the lift to the public. They don't want to wait for a tragedy, they feel they have seen enough stupidity to be taking these things into consideration already.

Jim also told me to relay this message to people. He said that we should call people out who are doing stupid shit, inbounds or out. Like I said in an earlier post, it will be partially up to us to help make the new terrain and adjacent boundary as safe as possible.

May the good Maggots set the example that will get us through this season without mishap!
    Maybe a very large sign showing the cliff areas posted at the bottom and top of the lift, and of course done with more skills than I possess. And perhaps an etiquette sign to go along with the cliff map for those going out the gate. Sure would hate to see management losing sleep over this lift. But there are definitely some clueless people over there that need to have things spelled out for them!

Wow, that terrain looks freakin' sweet! I wanna go to Bridger Bowl!
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Trouble in The Ravine (#10)

So, the other day I was dropping down into the Ravine, because since they put the rope line up it holds the pow-pow a lot longer. But when I got down to the crux, above the gully-cliffs, I heard "there's a skier! hey!". Two BSF gromets were hiking around with their skis off. "Do you know how to get out of here?" one asked. The other wanted water, since they had been hiking around for about 45mins I guess. They had gone skiers-left first, after they had been cliffed out, and got even more cliffed out over there of course. I probably should have told them to just hike out up the coulior to the right (#9.5? not pictured here), but, I knew you could ski out the right side (it's steep, but not vertical rock), so I led them down that way. It was kind of intense. I went from just minding my own business, exploring the new lift, to having two kids pretty much cling to me in fear as I led them down a (really) steel run.

It was funny, once they could see the rest of their line out they went from being wide-eyed with terror, to wanting to huck cliffs. Gotta love the rebound kids have.

At the bottom a patroller who had been watching the kids for a while met us to make sure we were okay, asking if we "had an exciting run". He told the kids to be more careful, and that he extended the rope line for a reason.

One of the kids was so grateful he offered me $2 dollars of his lunch money. I told him no a few times, feeling like a school-yard bully or something, but eventually realized (even if he didn't) that basically he was just buying me a beer (with his parents money) as a thank you for the time (15mins?) I took to help them out. That's not unreasonable.

So yeah, Schlasmans. Fun times.
    Scout your lines, folks!
    Last edited by thaddeusmt; 01-10-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typo
    ~ThaddeusMT

[All your mountains are belong to us]
    http://www.oronaut.com

That sign you have there is great, MTCHAM. You should present it to patrol. Maybe they will appreciate your idea.

once they could see the rest of their line out they went from being wide-eyed with terror, to wanting to huck cliffs.
    Yeah, you should check out the link to the news report about the two geniuses that got caught in a slide just outside the rope at Brighton. It's in a thread here.

It really instills faith in the youngsters.

At this point I feel sorry for patrol for having to deal with this kind of thing. Seems like it's a daily routine for them at this point.

What I don't understand is the amount of dipshits just skiing blindly into shit that they have never looked at.

Today I saw a dipshit traverse from the lift across the entire headwall of upper Mundy's with no clue were to "huck" or whatever.

They put that ropeline in on the south side now, but dipshits still want to traverse for hundreds of feet across a 45 degree slope full of hazards and other skiers wanting to drop in. Beats the fucking shit out of me.

Don't be nice, be a dick. It might save someones life.
    Last edited by tone capone; 01-10-2009 at 05:44 PM.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by thaddeusmt View Post
    So, the other day I was dropping down into the Ravine, because since they put the rope line up it holds the pow-pow a lot longer. But when I got down to the crux, above the gully-cliffs, I heard "there's a skier! hey!". Two BSF gromets were hiking around with their skis off. "Do you know how to get out of here?" one asked. The other wanted water, since they had been hiking around for about 45mins I guess. They had gone skiers-left first, after they had been cliffed out, and got even more cliffed out over there of course. I probably should have told them to just hike out up the coulior to the right (#9.5? not pictured here), but, I knew you could ski out the right side (it's steep, but not vertical rock), so I led them down that way. It was kind of intense. I went from just minding my own business, exploring the new lift, to having two kids pretty much cling to me in fear as I led them down a (really) steel run.

It was funny, once they could see the rest of their line out they went from being wide-eyed with terror, to wanting to huck cliffs. Gotta love the rebound kids have.

At the bottom a patroller who had been watching the kids for a while met us to make sure we were okay, asking if we "had an exciting run". He told the kids to be more careful, and that he extended the rope line for a reason.

One of the kids was so grateful he offered me $2 dollars of his lunch money. I told him no a few times, feeling like a school-yard bully or something, but eventually realized (even if he didn't) that basically he was just buying me a beer (with his parents money) as a thank you for the time (15mins?) I took to help them out. That's not unreasonable.

So yeah, Schlasmans. Fun times.
    Scout your lines, folks!
    HAHA- one of the groms is my friends son. Luca (11 years old) told us all about it at lunch that day. His little buddy told him he knew where he was going. And yeah he said he would have needed lots of water to hike back up.

Thanks for helping them out! Maybe the BSF team could show the little weenies around over there.

One of my vollies is Gallatin County SAR. Today he got paged to 1st Yellow Mule, S. of Big Sky for a snowmobile triggered avalanche and rescue.

The Gallatin Co. heli was just lifting off from Bozeman when the word came back that the biler was dug out and being evacuated. Same time a report comes in from the Bridger range.

A guy who let the BB boundaries solo had triggered a pretty big slide but missed being buried in a horrible terrain trap. Debris 25' deep in a ravine. He triggered the slide and then called his room-mate and then turned off his cell.

Room-mate calls 911, SAR team diverts to the Bridgers and rescue this Einstein.

Just a matter of time.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

That sounds similar to the release I saw West of the new BB south boundary. DEEP crown, North aspect, ugly debris pile.

Stay safe folks!

Can we name the area between the chair and the north-face area Buf-Buf? For Big-Ugly-Fucking-BUmp-Field...

goddamjesus we need snow.

I actually have the current map with some labels, but I don't have a scanner. Seeing this thread bumped just reminded me.

someone, and probably someone from here, stuck a sign at the top of the first saddle peak that says 'bronco'. and when you look over the side, sure enough, it looks like bronco.
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I actually have the current map with some labels, but I don't have a scanner.
    Digital Camera for the win.

someone, and probably someone from here, stuck a sign at the top of the first saddle peak that says 'bronco'. and when you look over the side, sure enough, it looks like bronco.
    Yeah, we pretty much took over Saddle Peak. Keep skiing it and compacting it and we might as well move the boundary sign up to the top, too.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Yeah, we pretty much took over Saddle Peak. Keep skiing it and compacting it and we might as well move the boundary sign up to the top, too.
    that's my plan.
    Ben Franklin

"Official Map"

So, I don't have a scanner, but here is a crappy picture of the (already folded) map the patrollers have available at the bottom of the lift now:

Oh, and Schlasmans was RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME today.

That is all.
    ~ThaddeusMT

[All your mountains are belong to us]
    http://www.oronaut.com