Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Lake Superior Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Unreal, I can't even believe this is MN.

ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

I've seen some PHENOMENAL surf conditions on Lake Superior - and I don't even surf!
    Gravity. It's the law.

I have surfed on Lake Superior...in a kayak. Lester River, I got fucking hammered inside and got dragged up onto the rocks. It was rad. When they are coming every 5-7 seconds nonstop, it gets hard to escape.

The "other" kind of surfing on Lake Superior near Houghton, MI.

Great pics guys. I grew up on Lake Superior, but can't imagine surfing it...the waves come in so close together!

so sick! can't say i ever thought of MN as a surfing locale

stoke and shrivelage!

This is unbelievable- Lake Superior, Marquette MI-

Some worthy photos here and serious stoke as well:

These guys snowmobiled in 10 miles then rappeled down a 500 ft dune then surfed ice free waters-in zero degrees F temps last week-

story here:http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/lak...009/index.html

This photographer has some excellent stuff of the great lakes, best IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I have surfed on Lake Superior...in a kayak. Lester River, I got fucking hammered inside and got dragged up onto the rocks. It was rad. When they are coming every 5-7 seconds nonstop, it gets hard to escape.
    Lester River! I grew up there. Watched some people unexpectedly start wake boarding on an overturned 8' sailboat down there one summer day. The wind switched from the northwest to the south and the lake went from little ripples to 4 ft whitecaps in about 90 minutes. I ended up helping them get to shore. They were pretty exhausted by the time I reached them . They had no clue how fast that lake can change on you.

Good windsurfing waves can be had frequently. But surf waves, those are usually reserved for November. You've got to be one crazy mfer to get out there in those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by aquableau View Post

Some worthy photos here and serious stoke as well:

These guys snowmobiled in 10 miles then rappeled down a 500 ft dune then surfed ice free waters-in zero degrees F temps last week-

story here:http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/lak...009/index.html

This photographer has some excellent stuff of the great lakes, best IMHO
    Looks fun and all but.........
    damn thats COLD
    my hat is off to you guys

Quote Originally Posted by aquableau View Post

Exactly where near Marquette is that?

...and is there any way to get to that Dunes spot without the deathmarch or a friend with a boat?
    Last edited by Jer; 05-01-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Is there enough surf there often enough to support a Surf shop in the area? Is there one already?

Not that Im looking to get in the bus. Just wondering where someone would buy a surf board around there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.

Bumping this because I'm having an eve with Three Philosophers from Ommegang and wishing I were back in da yoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Exactly where near Marquette is that?

...and is there any way to get to that Dunes spot without the deathmarch or a friend with a boat?
    Grand Sable Banks Grand Marais MI, a couple hours east. Family is from there. That spot is way down the snowmobile trail at the log slide but you can access the east side pretty easily. A couple times a year snow actually sticks to the bluff. That water is cold in August!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckin eh? View Post
    Is there enough surf there often enough to support a Surf shop in the area? Is there one already?

Not that Im looking to get in the bus. Just wondering where someone would buy a surf board around there?
    Huckin eh,

There usa surf shop there I used to rent from them when I went to school there. The name of theahop is casualties skate snow surf. They were really chill guys and had a lot of superior surfing. If you are planning on going up there usually the best place to surf is presque isle at the end of the loop (its a big arching bay so you can catch wind swells from NW to NE). Since I didn't have too many ways to transport a board up there and it was so close to campus that was the extent to my experience up therei

This is what I've been up to lately:

laying around

standing around

milking it

dealing with frequent cases of the one-mores

not winning any style contests

yup, definitely not winning any of those

experiencing ice cream headaches

"brah! I can fully charge b/c of my ice hairhelmet brah!"
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 01-01-2013 at 07:54 PM.

CORE!!!!!!^^^^^^

rog

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    As my fellow Minnesotans and I would say....

Hard! Hard! Hard! Hard!

So badass!
    Where are you at on the north shore? Secret spot?
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

it's my mom's house in the Marquette MI area. I benefit from staying out a little longer and being a bit bolder (hood off) b/c there's a warm shower waiting.

I started surfing in Washington, then I came home with these new surfing eyes and saw lefts happening in front of this house and just about shit bricks. I can't express what it's like to be here and finally making it happen. It's a longstanding dream realized.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    it's my mom's house in the Marquette MI area. I benefit from staying out a little longer and being a bit bolder (hood off) b/c there's a warm shower waiting.

I started surfing in Washington, then I came home with these new surfing eyes and saw lefts happening in front of this house and just about shit bricks. I can't express what it's like to be here and finally making it happen. It's a longstanding dream realized.
    fucking love it. nuggets are nuggets. specially sweet when off of 99.999% of the worlds surfers radar. so cool.

rog

Is that an ice yeti? that's dedication, nice work.

The other day when it was -10f....I almost went and got my stuff but it was late in the day and the idea of going in the water by myself at 10 below after dark seemed sort of foolish.

pussy

rog

Same spot...pretty much shut down for surfing for a while.