Page 165 of 325 FirstFirst ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 8104
    ^^^ can't believe I missed that ^^^

The star trails are superb and the tent isn't blown like so many night-time tent shots. Great job.

Speaking of blown highlights, the motel's sign on this guy is blown

thanks guys. it's multiple exposures which allowed me to get the lighting on the tent just right.

how I spent my memorial day:

my semi-daily cheetoing.com pic
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

First day of shooting with my new 7D.

Alot of bears for 1 day.

This morning before work in Moose. I like the way this one turned out in the shade and the cold air.

And a couple more of a different friend behind the boat.

Last edited by uglymoney; 05-30-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Last edited by splitter; 06-01-2012 at 07:09 AM.

and the color version...

eagle creek canyon

^ Like the color version better -- lots of things to hold the eye (I keep getting drawn to the really bright green patches on the valley floor at lower left). The B&W is kind of flat -- everything is midtone gray.
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    ^ Like the color version better -- lots of things to hold the eye (I keep getting drawn to the really bright green patches on the valley floor at lower left). The B&W is kind of flat -- everything is midtone gray.
    Thanks Fuzz. I agree. Had a day off from the baby and took the dogs for a hike out of Emerald Bay. Took the camera really just to get some shots to convince the wife to go out that trailhead sometime. I ended taking this around 1:00 and you know there are no good photos at 1pm. So I usually default to B&W for those mid day shots but figured I'd take a look at processing a color version with the greens and blues. I like it better as well. I do wish I had a wider angle lens with me. There is a lake just out of frame bottom-left.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    So I usually default to B&W for those mid day shots but figured I'd take a look at processing a color version with the greens and blues.
    When doing the B&W conversion, did you try pulling the blues down to make the sky dark (a la Ansel Adams) -- something to give it a bit more contrast maybe? And maybe even the greens -- so dark sky + dark trees with midtone gray mountains in the middle.
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

Splitter - nice shot - I too like the color better. I really need to get up through there in the summer and back to Deso for some hiking.

I do wish I had a wider angle lens with me. There is a lake just out of frame bottom-left.
    Might be stating the obvious here but you could try taking multiple shots and stitching them together.

I just got back from a vacation in Kauai. What a cool place.

Stray cat on the trail.

Lots of exposure to falling and pretty colors.

Beautiful misty mornings.

great color and detail in those pics Josh, what are you shooting on?

I just took a Fuji X100. It has nice color and image quality for a small camera. Also, the place itself is very colorful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    When doing the B&W conversion, did you try pulling the blues down to make the sky dark (a la Ansel Adams) -- something to give it a bit more contrast maybe? And maybe even the greens -- so dark sky + dark trees with midtone gray mountains in the middle.
    I did originally. I tried not to go to extreme. Here's another take pushing the contrast. I do like it better than the B&W posted, but I still like the color.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    Splitter - nice shot - I too like the color better. I really need to get up through there in the summer and back to Deso for some hiking.
    It's nice back there. It's a little early to connect aloha with Dick's and Fontanillis. Lots of snow on those ridges. From where I stood, it looked like decent skiing. I still can't help but think it's pretty textured.

I like this hike as a shuttle with a friend for a nice day out. We went out Bayview trailhead and normally would hit Dick's and Fontanillis lakes and out to a car at Eagle Falls. Another nice loop, no shuttle necessary, is the Lily Lake trailhead at Fallen Leaf (where 666 and others (maybe you) fire off Halls of the Gods in the spring). Climbing up to Triangle Lake, shoot over to Aloha, and out the Glen Alpine trail for a 12 mile loop.

I love backpacking, especially for the photographic benefits in the evening and morning, but with a 6 month old, I'm pulling some of my old day hikes out of my back pocket for this summer and learning to embrace the 1:00pm photo.

As a climber, have you been out to Eagle Lake buttress for a fun solo day?

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Might be stating the obvious here but you could try taking multiple shots and stitching them together.
    Admittedly, I don't have good stitching software and I haven't had great results with the free stuff. Also, the lake didn't add a lot to the comp, it just would have demonstrated the area a little better for my wife to get stoked on this trailhead. I didn't think it would turn out as decent as a it did. It really was a beta shot for her. I didn't really think about creating a dramatic panorama. Perhaps next time I should.

Admittedly, I don't have good stitching software and I haven't had great results with the free stuff. ...

Have you tried Hugin? I've had some really good results with it. Prior to finding it I wasn't impressed at all with the free offerings, but Hugin really seems to get the job done.

3 frame stitch (the trees not all being straight is due to me not having a tripod, not the software's fault)

5 frame stitch. This time the tripod wasn't level. I'll learn how to do this right one of these days.

9 frames in two rows.

TGR is limiting the size of these. right-click and choose "view image" to see bigger versions.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	van-sickle-038.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	116874  
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post

The lower right tower looks like a beaver's head to me. And you could make a case for the middle one being a bunny.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

I took these two last week down on the Columbia River Flats.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5274704.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	429.7 KB 
ID:	116952

Name:	P5274713.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	346.9 KB 
ID:	116953

Some shots from the Marin Headlands about an hour ago. Was on a nice hike with my girlfriend for the moonrise and sunset.

A couple weeks ago, I was at the beach by the airport and there were a ton of eagles catching fish in the tidal pools.

I entered this shot in the last MPC but I wanted to get some feedback on what I could do better. Specifically, I really wasn't totally sure how to best crop this.

Regarding sharpness, it's taken with a Canon 75-300 so there are limits there, but I think it turned out okay image quality-wise.

And another one from that day:

Name:	_MG_9018.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	117074