Page 160 of 324 FirstFirst ... 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 8099
    Nice splitter, but next time take some photos of lines that go through! That's making me cry knowing Powerhouse doesn't even connect in April

BTW, I ended up at the Crystal Range with bcrider. People seem to be digging photo I took on Friday night, despite the tree coming out of my head ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

That's nice. Single image?

thanks - yeah single exposure (20 seconds @ ISO1000), with a little bit of masked contrast enhancements separately for the sky vs. the snow on the mountains.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

x-post from Long Board Day 2012

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Nice splitter, but next time take some photos of lines that go through! That's making me cry knowing Powerhouse doesn't even connect in April

BTW, I ended up at the Crystal Range with bcrider. People seem to be digging photo I took on Friday night, despite the tree coming out of my head ...

That's an awesome shot. Would have done very well in the latest MPC I imagine. Looking forward to trying something like that in SD this weekend.

cool shot. I agree, I wish the tree wasn't coming out of your head but the tent is perfectly lit and those stars!!!

I wish this reflection was more crisp. Both the fisherman were out in force on their boats.

^^^^ Great shot right there.

Yeah, no kidding. I actually kinda like the reflection being OOF like that. Most reflection shots don't do a whole lot for me because the reflection is just that...a reflection. It's cool and all but doesn't add a whole lot to the shot. The reflection in that shot is just different enough that, coupled with the details in the foreground rocks, it's actually really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by OverTurn View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. I actually kinda like the reflection being OOF like that. Most reflection shots don't do a whole lot for me because the reflection is just that...a reflection. It's cool and all but doesn't add a whole lot to the shot. The reflection in that shot is just different enough that, coupled with the details in the foreground rocks, it's actually really interesting.
    Agreed. The perfectly clear reflection makes a more stock looking picture imho.

Lot's of cool shots. I'm not worthy, but this comment reminded me of this shot which always messes with my head:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Agreed. The perfectly clear reflection makes a more stock looking picture imho.

And this one shot 30 minutes earlier:

For a better version and different angle, shot at the same time with a large format camera, click here and select 5th one on the bottom.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 05-01-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

thanks guys. I appreciate that point of view. I like the salt and pepper texture of the foreground rocks and I like the bw conversion. I do admit, I wish the reflection was a little more clear...

I heart snow camping.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Any Lightroom advice on how to get this to pop a bit more? I like how it came out but find it a bit gloomy.

Canon 20D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 at F7.1 1/800 sec ISO 100, circular polarizer

I'd bump the exposure a bit and then bump the contrast. It's gloomy now because there isn't anything really bright in the picture.

D(C) ... more important than the exposure settings that you posted are the following questions: what exposure mode and metering mode were you in when you took that image, and did you review your exposure before & after the shot?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

D(C) ... more important than the exposure settings that you posted are the following questions: what exposure mode and metering mode were you in when you took that image, and did you review your exposure before & after the shot?
    Evaluative metering, M mode. When taking the shot, I basically lined up the camera's internal meter so that it said I was exposing correctly. I did not check the histogram.

I'm wondering if it's underexposed. It looks like there's some clipping on the black end, which has taken away some of the photo's richness. And increasing the exposure in post-processing doesn't look all that good as there isn't enough detail in the blacks.

I'm a noob so any advice is helpful.

Some shots from Spring in AK. BW ones are taken with my infrared modded D200, the others are with my D3X - Various Lenses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IRC_0701_DxO.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	115257

Name:	CLX_1505_DxO.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	115258

Name:	IRC_0706_DxO.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	115259

Name:	CLX_1770_DxO.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	115260

Name:	IRC_0856_DxO.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	115261

It's way underexposed. You took a picture that is 25% white snow and 60% bright cloudy sky with very little blue sky or other earth tones/mid-tones. So 85% of your picture is something that needs to be a pretty bright white but the camera is trying to make it a middle gray, when it should really be mostly white. I thought the 20D evaluative setting was smarter than that, but I guess not.

This is why a lot of people people meter off of their hands, to average out the meter and get a more neutral exposure. Another trick to try is to aim the camera at the snow next time, so that nothing but snow is in the picture, line up your exposure meter at +1 2/3 or +2, and see how the image comes out afterwards. Your camera probably has +/- 2.5 stops of range, so metering the snow on the ground at +2 will leave you a little extra room for specular highlights etc.

And only use the RGB histograms. Shooting at elevation with a CP I generally use about 6200K for my color temp - it cuts the blue out of the snow and makes it pretty white. The thing is that if your white balance isn't dialed in the camera, it can affect your perceived exposure if you are using histograms and highlight indicators. Using RGB histograms will mitigate this effect because you can see if your blue channel is blown out (over exposed) or your blue looks good and the other ones are not even close to the right edge (under exposed).

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

It's way underexposed. You took a picture that is 25% white snow and 60% bright cloudy sky with very little blue sky or other earth tones/mid-tones. So 85% of your picture is something that needs to be a pretty bright white but the camera is trying to make it a middle gray, when it should really be mostly white. I thought the 20D evaluative setting was smarter than that, but I guess not.

This is why a lot of people people meter off of their hands, to average out the meter and get a more neutral exposure. Another trick to try is to aim the camera at the snow next time, so that nothing but snow is in the picture, line up your exposure meter at +1 2/3 or +2, and see how the image comes out afterwards. Your camera probably has +/- 2.5 stops of range, so metering the snow on the ground at +2 will leave you a little extra room for specular highlights etc.

And only use the RGB histograms. Shooting at elevation with a CP I generally use about 6200K for my color temp - it cuts the blue out of the snow and makes it pretty white. The thing is that if your white balance isn't dialed in the camera, it can affect your perceived exposure if you are using histograms and highlight indicators. Using RGB histograms will mitigate this effect because you can see if your blue channel is blown out (over exposed) or your blue looks good and the other ones are not even close to the right edge (under exposed).
    Thanks for this, very helpful. I will try metering as you suggest next time.

Another trick to try is to aim the camera at the snow next time, so that nothing but snow is in the picture, line up your exposure meter at +1 2/3 or +2, and see how the image comes out afterwards. Your camera probably has +/- 2.5 stops of range, so metering the snow on the ground at +2 will leave you a little extra room for specular highlights etc.
    Pretty much how I meter 99% of the time when I'm skiing.

Part of the problem is that everything looks like it's awesome on the 20D's postage stamp-sized LCD, so I don't even register there being an issue.

^ an LCD is not an exposure indicator. The challenge that you are talking about is not really related to the postage stamp size of the LCD. It's an issue of, the human eye can see in tenths-of-footcandles moonlight and it can adapt to thousands-of-footcandles daylight. You see something on the LCD and you think it could be okay, or maybe not.

The camera has not nearly the level of dynamic range in terms of ability to capture all the range of light that is available in a scene. The art of exposure is learning how to capture the light that you think you are seeing, and set up the camera to capture some portion of it within its full dynamic range. The exposure indicator and histograms are tools that help you try to do this.

Ansel Adam's The Negative is a lengthy but good book that discusses this. If anything, just check it out from a library and read only the first chapter.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Galen Rowell's Mountain Light is another great one that is a little more hands-on in terms of how it reads.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Nice shots, Schralph, splitter, and AKgeoSkier.

A quick animation of the two versions of the Pinwheel Galaxy that I shot about 2.5 years apart, showing the supernova:
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!