Skin Glue Sticking to Skis

Hey everyone,

I need some assistance with my skins. Forgive me in advance if there is a simple solution. I took my skins out the first day touring this year and found them to be alot 'stickier' than normal. When grabbing them, the glue/residue would come off and stick to my hand. Put them on my ski, and the glue remains stuck to my ski even after taking the skin off. The result? Really, really annoying snow-build up on the base of my ski and a bad time on the traverses. Even after skiing a run, or attempting to the skin glue is still there. Sticky stuff.

Is this a matter of needing new skins / re-doing the glue, or should I wax my skis? (I've been recommended to do both).

Skins are G3 alpinist climbing skins. I stored them over the summer in the bag, in the bottom of a large plastic bin out of the sun. Skin savers were also used.

Thanks for the help!

I've found that g3 skins work best after repeated sticking to themselves and seperating which roughens the glue surface. You might try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

A bud's G3 skin glue went bad over the summer, became a soft gloppy mess that stuck to everything but the skin itself, tried to do the iron/parchment paper refresh but there was no way to save it, had to scrape it all off with a heat gun and scraper and do a reglue w/ BD glue. Seemed that the glue underwent some sort of chemical change over the summer. Never seen anything like it before.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I've found that g3 skins work best after repeated sticking to themselves and seperating which roughens the glue surface. You might try that.
    I have experienced this to be true. However I'm now just moving over to BD and pomoca skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    A bud's G3 skin glue went bad over the summer, became a soft gloppy mess that stuck to everything but the skin itself, tried to do the iron/parchment paper refresh but there was no way to save it, had to scrape it all off with a heat gun and scraper and do a reglue w/ BD glue. Seemed that the glue underwent some sort of chemical change over the summer. Never seen anything like it before.
    Sounds like exactly what is happening to mine. Bummer. Guess I'll be re-glueing this weekend unless there are other suggestions out there.

Had the same thing happen. Big Steve is right. Scrape and re-glue.

May want to try parchment paper/iron first. Might be all that is needed. IMO

^Try Q-z's thing first, then Big Steve's.

Anyone have a link to this parchment paper / iron thing technique? Thanks everyone!

It's easy. 1. Place the parchment paper on the glue. 2. Iron. 3. Allow to cool. 4. Peel off parchment paper.

This happened to me and I ended up buying new skins. However I was up a one of the 10th mtn huts a couple of weeks ago and a lady that was up there was using aluminum foil instead of the parchement paper and it was seemed to be working pretty well for her. Might be worth a try

What I really like to use is the release paper that comes with the skins, but parchment works. I iron with a lot of pressure and use a hot iron. I then fold up with paper on and stick it in the freezer overnite. I then pull off paper, inspect my work, add skin savers and store in a cool place .

FWIW-
    I find securing the skin, plush side down flat makes life 10X easier.
    I made a little platform- 2x6 with two screws on 1 end for the tip loop, one screw on the other for the tail. Taking an extra 3 minutes to set up makes the whole job fast and easy.

Heat gun and a scraper. Staple a rag over the corner of the work area to wipe the scraper.

Then heat gun and scraper. I staple a rag on the edge of my work table to wipe the scraper. Takes less than 3 minutes to set up, and makes the job fast and easy.

Other option-
    Sounds like your glue is FUBAR. But, sometimes messy glue is just water contaminated. An iron directly on the glue gets all the water out. This works surprisingly well on glue that appears to be shot.