Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    How much of a difference is there with the liners that have the power wrap/J bar? I've been considering switching to Full Tilts. I've tried on the Hot Dogger(nice, once you remove that stupid cable cover), but I know that I'd rather go with a 8 or 10 flex tongue. I like the Konflict specs, but I hate the color/styling of the boot. I like the $499 price point of the Hot Dogger, but will I miss the power wrap/j bar on the liner? I ski no park at all, and at my size/weight the 6 flex tongue will have to go. Realistically, I like the Seth boot, only with an 8 flex tongue, but $700 is probably more than I have to spend on boots.
    "In any case, I hate everything that merely instructs me without augmenting or directly invigorating my activity" - Goethe

I have 50+ days of skiing on my konflicts, only gripe is that while bootpacking the lowest buckle can get opened from the snow wedging it open, then you have to use a pole or stick or something to clean it out so it will lock back down. My only broken buckle came from not noticing this one day and nailing the open buckle off a partially buried stump. Other than that i havent had any troubles(knock on wood)

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    HV: no, it is the lower end shell, liner, softer tongue, etc.
    not talking this years influence shell, right?

this years = what I was talking about

Older FT = pro liner = seth and konflict

this years boots (2010/2011)
    booter, high five, mary jane = FTi, new soft, wider shell, $400.
    ALL others = old FT shell, narrow, classic, swapable tongues.

[ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185563"]fulltilt 10/11 - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame] for more info

Mntlion, could you give me a little more info about the liner differences between the Konflict and the Hot Dogger? How much of a difference does the additional powerwrap and J-bar make?
    "In any case, I hate everything that merely instructs me without augmenting or directly invigorating my activity" - Goethe

Still loving my kryptons, been messing with some of the parts.

Found that with no stiffening shims in, a little too soft (granted its been 35 degrees every day for a while), with one in at the highest position, its like having a steel bar on my shins...

I'd like to try and place it in the lower position, to achieve some balance, but i can't get it seated right, or if i do have it seated right in digs into my achilles area. Doesn't seem to fit nearly as flush as when it is in the upper position...

anyone have experience with this....

I also may try the C Tongues with the stiffest shim position...maybe that puts the flex somewhere in the middle?

I do not use the forward lean shims as I don't like the pre-loading of the foward lean, and i also like to have the full range of flex available...

thoughts.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by crazex View Post
    How much of a difference does the additional powerwrap and J-bar make?
    not much.

they are the same shape, J bar = not much help (no down side) and liners = a bit stiffer.

similar, but what you want, buy a tongue stiffer or softer as needed.

First a short history lesson: the full tilt boot is not new or a revolutionary. It is the same old design that raichle used for many years, and has a cult following.
    Are the Full Tilts using the original Raichle design or the wider heel fit that came out later (1999-2000ish)?

So I just got some konflicts on Christmas and had them molded that day. I've had two days on them so far and i love them. But my big toe on my right foot feels like it's getting bruised, but it's not bruised. Should I punch the boot or should I shave off a piece of the liner? Any other recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks

heat the toe of the liner, stretch the toe of the liner.

a random question:
    When people are refitting krypton pro's with booster straps, are you putting the booster strap INSIDE the tounge, just on the liner - as the instructions for booster straps say to do? Or for this type of boot is it ok to put it on the outside?

After reading everything I can find, I'm still not clear on the differences between the krypton Il-Morro and the krypton pro. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of il-morro (not ID) and putting intuitions in them. Looks quite a bit cheaper than krypton pro ID. Specifically I'm interested in the difference in fit and flex stiffness at the end of the day.

I put the boosters on the outside of the tongue shell for my Kryp Pro Ids. I dont really see how it would work well with the shape of the tongue shell and the wrap liner to put it underneath.

As an aside, can any of the bootfitting maeastro in this thread explain why my Kryptons cause the medial underside of my patella to ache? Ever since I got these boots, a few years ago, my knees ache after skiing like they used to back in the day when I was bike racing and had patellafemoral syndrome, or chondromalacia as they used to call it. Basically something about the knee alignment of these boots is loading the inside of the kneecap strangely. never had this with other boots. any fixes or thoughts?

Duffman, I have your same knee thing going on. It's worse with wider skis. I'm not sure how much approaching 40 has to do with it either, but notice it for sure on alpine gear. I have the same skis set up tele, and have no knee pain then. Weird.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    As an aside, can any of the bootfitting maeastro in this thread explain why my Kryptons cause the medial underside of my patella to ache?
    just an idea, but could it be related to the cant setting? Have you ever had it set correctly by a fitter?

Yeah, I had a very good fitter in Vt set them up, including punching the crap out of the toebox, molding the liners, etc, but still have this issue. If it makes sense, when turning, my outside knee feels like it has to drive inside really far to get the ski on edge, which makes me think its a cuff issue, but then my skis track fine when running straight. So IDK what really is going on here.

Edit to add: I also keep getting a rub at the front of my left shin. The ID liner was remolded which helped, but I still got a blister this season right on the shin bone in the same spot, so clearly i have some issues with the cuffs
    Last edited by Duffman; 01-13-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    When people are refitting krypton pro's with booster straps, are you putting the booster strap INSIDE the tounge, just on the liner - as the instructions for booster straps say to do? Or for this type of boot is it ok to put it on the outside?
    The recommendation from the manufacturer is strictly for 2-piece overlap boots where the rear spine of the boot has a bolt or two directly connecting the upper and lower. With this type of boot the Booster is supported during forward flex by the stiffness of the rear of the boot.

In a 3-piece design (Flexon/Full Tilt/Krypton) the rear cuff is floating. So putting the Booster under the front tongue defeats its purpose. However, I have found that I like to have the Booster both against the tongue and the liner. So I've been modding my Booster Straps so that they work half on the tongue and half against the liner (here's the [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206647"]thread[/ame]).

I just made the switch from Krypton Rampages to FT Hot Doggers & so far its been amazing to say the least. My Rampages always felt heavy & little low on the instep. Had custom foot bed but these still had to be the coldest boots I have ever owned period.

Now onto the FT's, after moulding with a Superfeet green insole its like wearing heaven on your feet as far as ski boots go. What really amazed me so far is the warmth & how light they are compared to the Dabello's. The FT's are easier to get on/off also. I really dont mind the buckle system & have not broken one yet, fingers crossed. I should have made the switch years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Yeah, I had a very good fitter in Vt set them up, including punching the crap out of the toebox, molding the liners, etc, but still have this issue. If it makes sense, when turning, my outside knee feels like it has to drive inside really far to get the ski on edge, which makes me think its a cuff issue, but then my skis track fine when running straight. So IDK what really is going on here.

Edit to add: I also keep getting a rub at the front of my left shin. The ID liner was remolded which helped, but I still got a blister this season right on the shin bone in the same spot, so clearly i have some issues with the cuffs
    I had the same issues when I first got mine and a canting adjustment fixed it right away.

after i took care of that I was getting fatigue/cramping of the quads and just above the knees way too quickly, and the stiffer tongue and largest cuff insert has taken care of that. (much less effort required to pressure the tips)

I would go back to your bootfitter for a check-up and tell him what's happening. I know it took me three trips (total) to two different reputable fitters, two drastically different footbeds and some of my own fiddling to get my kryptons dialed in.

ya, I think upper cuff too.

move it all the way to one side (both inside and outside adjustments) and ski that, see how the knees feel.
    then all the way to the other side, see how that feels.
    ski what feels best.

Will do. Thanks for the advice. I'll give this a shot this weekend

Mntlion:

In the market for new boots, had a couple questions regarding FTs. Size 10 foot. Medium to slightly narrow width. Currently in a Lange Fluid somethingorother 26.5 shell (100 last, 308 BSL) and want to go narrower. Should I look at a 26.5 Full Tilt (98 last model) or a 27? Has your experience indicated that most people need to go up a half size from a traditional boot? When I call around to shops I would like to know which shell sizes I should be asking for to try on. Thanks!

301mm would be my guess, maybe the 310mm

best to try them on and see what fits best. I'm just guessing

Like a Boss - I'm betting that with a street size 10 foot and currently in a 308 BSL that you'll probably end up in the 310 BSL FT unless you're looking for a super tight shell fit. 301mm (26 MP) shell may be doable, but it'll be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild4umlauts View Post
    Like a Boss - I'm betting that with a street size 10 foot and currently in a 308 BSL that you'll probably end up in the 310 BSL FT unless you're looking for a super tight shell fit. 301mm (26 MP) shell may be doable, but it'll be a challenge.
    301mm would be my guess, maybe the 310mm

best to try them on and see what fits best. I'm just guessing
    Thanks y'all. Local shop only has 26.5 so we will see how that goes...