Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Sorry for the stupid question, but do the boots already have the cable insert? Or do I have to buy it separately?

Beyond - you failed to mention what size your foot is. What's your MP measurement and your normal street shoe size?

To me a 17mm shell fit might as well be a mile, but I ski in a 5mm shell fit and am willing to go that tight for the performance fit - depends on what your goals are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Ripper View Post
    Sorry for the stupid question, but do the boots already have the cable insert? Or do I have to buy it separately?
    They already have it.

I got some Seths a week ago, only have two days on them but absolutely love how they ski (coming from the Factor as my One Boot since they came out). Only one problem - the buckles. Two ski days, two broken buckles. I hope this pattern doesn't keep up, I can't afford $25 a ski day to keep my boots running.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

buckles are the weak point in the system, They ice up, and snap. Sorry

Are daily buckle failures a fact of life or do they typically last at least a bit longer?
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I've never broken a buckle on a Flexon/Full Tilt in 20 years.

Since I have the patience of a 5 year old, and can't wait til Tuesday, I've been finnicking with my kryptons for the last two hours on the carpet. 4 mm FL shim in , 8 mm in, both out, etc...

Couple of questions, is there any contingent who rocks their krypton's with out any of the forward lean shims?...I can't get out of my own head, but this sort of feels more right to me...At least walking around, I feel more balanced when upright, note to self: skiing is not walking around

Also...I have scarpa branded intuitions, with a velcro patch for a spoiler on the back top of the liner.... I have always used the spoiler, and taking it out feels wierd, but can't tell if its pyschological or not.... in theory what does the spoiler do.?

Also, where would your recommend starting as a baseline for messing around on the hill.... all shims out, spoiler out,? spoilers in, all shims out? spoilers out 4mm in? etc...

paging mntlion.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I got some Seths a week ago, only have two days on them but absolutely love how they ski (coming from the Factor as my One Boot since they came out). Only one problem - the buckles. Two ski days, two broken buckles. I hope this pattern doesn't keep up, I can't afford $25 a ski day to keep my boots running.
    Which year are your Seths? Are the buckles metal or plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    who rocks their krypton's with out any of the forward lean shims?...I can't get out of my own head, but this sort of feels more right to me...
    I have the med F lean, and rear spoiler. this works FOR ME. Odds are it will not for you, but thats why the boots come with all the extra parts.

At least walking around, I feel more balanced when upright, note to self: skiing is not walking around
    yup, but it might be a starting point

Also...I have scarpa branded intuitions, with a velcro patch for a spoiler on the back top of the liner.... I have always used the spoiler, and taking it out feels wierd, but can't tell if its pyschological or not.... in theory what does the spoiler do.?
    fills up volume for skinny legs, and/or pushes you forward. Just a different balance point that may, or may not work for you

Also, where would your recommend starting as a baseline for messing around on the hill.... all shims out, spoiler out,? spoilers in, all shims out? spoilers out 4mm in? etc...
    either middle everything, or start with what feels right for you. Best to change things like this all the way to one end, do a few runs, then all the way to the other end, see what they both feel like, then set it where it feels best for you. Then go on to the next part/adjustment.

For someone that has skied a lot, most boot fitting is just reacting to what they are feeling.

That will be $25 for the boot fitting assessment please

Awesome^^^

I need to go to Banff anyways, something about some snow / mtns up there? I don't remember, I wasn't paying attention.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Question for Krypton Wearers out there....

I am currently in a 26 Krypton and the fit is pretty good (just one punch in the right forefoot)

Now I'm trying to find an AT boot cheap here on gear swap, tramdock, etc... and am not in a place where it's easy to find boots to try on for reference.

So, anybody in the same alpine boot and have an AT boot that fit's them well that they could recommend?

I was able to try on a Scarpa maestrale in a 27 a couple weeks ago, and while the length seemed like it was just one size too big, the forefoot felt ginormous.

Quote Originally Posted by jcnoble5 View Post
    Which year are your Seths? Are the buckles metal or plastic?
    Brand new, metal buckles.

Day 3 went by without any problems, but day 4 (today) I popped a buckle pretty early. So, 4 ski days, 2 snapped springs and one total catastrophic buckle failure.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

^^^^^^^^^^ You're either the most bad ass skier on the planet or just plain unlucky. Which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild4umlauts View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^ You're either the most bad ass skier on the planet or just plain unlucky. Which is it?
    Can't it be both?

(It's not both)

I'm wondering if there's just a bad batch of buckles out there, this is getting a little ridiculous. I'm sure it'll stop happening sooner or later.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Report from the field.

Just got back from my first day in my 26.5 Krypton Pros...

I have them with no forward lean shims in, I got a foot science bio boot guy to take a quick look at all this skeletal stacking business, and dorsiflexion, and a whole bunch of other things that I can't pronounce, nor understand, and he determined, that due to my body mechanics, balance points, and tendency to put my weight on my heels, that straight up was the best route with a little heel lift as well, I now have two amazing boot fitters working on my boots, Jeff at Mountain Outfitters does an awesome job with grinding, molding, etc, and The Custom Foot in Denver did a great job with some of the alignment and bio-mechanics business, the boots are dialed.

It's amazing how much difference being in a 3-5 mm shell fit versus a 10-12 mm, every thing in the terrain is transferred through your whole body, and the foot just stays where its supposed to (finally!). They deliver exactly what I wanted them to, my only complaint, and I didn't think this would happen, was that they are a tad too soft, I have the stiff tongues in, but none of the stiffeners, may try it, although some colder temps and a little tighter on the booster strap may work as well...

love the feel and love not having the steel bar like feeling crushing your shin in an over lap boot, it's just very progressive....

they ski differently, and I know this, but can't verbalize exactly what the difference is, maybe someone else can.

Pumped for more time on em, a toe grind may be in order as there was a little coldness because the toe is right up in there,

For the record, I'm 5'8-5'9 175 and usually wear a 10.5 or 11 shoes, so go for it and cram your foot in a smaller boot.

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Ski day #5 on the full tilts, broken buckle #4.

Starting to get a little annoyed.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I'm thinking of buying the hot dogger or konflict. I want the hot dogger cause of it's looks, it's price, and it felt a very tiny bit better when I tried it on brand new. But I want the konflict cause it's stiffer, and it has powerwrap and j-bar, and because it has metal buckles.
    I don't know which to go for!! Any help/opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Ski day #5 on the full tilts, broken buckle #4.

Starting to get a little annoyed.
    Is a shop helping you out with this? You probably need a shorter bail.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Ripper View Post
    I'm thinking of buying the hot dogger or konflict. I want the hot dogger cause of it's looks, it's price, and it felt a very tiny bit better when I tried it on brand new. But I want the konflict cause it's stiffer, and it has powerwrap and j-bar, and because it has metal buckles.
    I don't know which to go for!! Any help/opinions?
    both fit the same, and the tongues are replaceable with stiffer/softer flex as needed.
    Get the pretty one, and get a stiffer tongue as needed?
    replace the buckles with metal, if/when they break.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Is a shop helping you out with this? You probably need a shorter bail.
    Didn't want a boot I couldn't trust to not break in normal use so I returned the boots for store credit, they've got some S3s on their way to the shop with my name on them. Ordered a pair of last year's Krypton Pro online, still waiting for them to come in.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Do the plastic buckles break easily? Because when I tried them on, I had to crank on the buckles. It's been in the negative teens here too.

I mostly broke the return springs (3 failures) but did have one total failure where the entire buckle just fell off. They were the metal buckles.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

can anybody tell me if the 2010 FT high five has the 'pro' liner? All these product descriptions are confusing.

HV: no, it is the lower end shell, liner, softer tongue, etc.