Removing bindings from a pair of skis (very basic help)

I want to remove the bindings from an old unused pair of skis to give the bindings to a friend. Are these any steps I need to take (apart form unscrewing the binders) to make sure I don't ruin either the skis or the bindings?

If you haven't guessed, I am the fool that keeps the ski tuning business running strong, but I am trying to learn my way out of paying for tune ups and mounts. A simple first step at least.

Thanks.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=109743
    You got the right forum but use the search function...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

Make sure you use a Pozidrive screwdriver instead of a standard Phillips. If you don't use a Pozidrive, you'll probably strip out the heads of the screws. Be careful when you take off the brakes. Some brakes (Salomons) can pop out of the brake housing, and they're a pain in the arse to get back together.

Often it's best to remove the screw(s) that hold the brakes on first, because heelpiece screws can be under the brake. You also may have to move the heel up or down the heel track to get to some of the screws.

A #3 Posi is recommended, but not strictly necessary if you have a #3 Philips. For most bindings you'll need a real screwdriver, not a socket with replaceable bits, because the holes in the toepiece are too small to get the socket into.

Remember to push down hard as you break the screw loose so you don't strip the head.

whatever you use should preferably say PZ3 or at least P3 on it ,don't strip them ,stop if doesnt come easy and take to a shop ... having a shop drill off stripped screws will be mo money

Sitting here contemplating life with a coffee AND if you are giving the binders to buddy, chances are he is having them mounted at a shop ...why not give buddy your skis ,buddy gets shop to take off your binders with screw gun and put em on his new skis ,buddy gives you back your ski's ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Sitting here contemplating life with a coffee AND if you are giving the binders to buddy, chances are he is having them mounted at a shop ...why not give buddy your skis ,buddy gets shop to take off your binders with screw gun and put em on his new skis ,buddy gives you back your ski's ?
    ^^^^ XXX FTW!

Outside the box critical thinking is what make this place da bomb

If you have to ask and/or cant search out your answer i think XXX has it exactly right here.

best o' luck w/ the mount.

well ,I spent most of my life as a lazy technician ... always do the easiest thing 1st

Thanks everyone - perhaps I will just have the shop do it...

out of curiosity what binding/how old cuz if bindings are too old and no longer on the indemnifyied list (condsidered safe enough to release ) no shop will work on them

This may be the most simple thing you can do related to ski tinkering. By taking the brakes off, then the bindings, you will have a better understanding of how they work. You may have to move the heel piece forward to get the rear most screws, other than that it is very simple. Leave the screws threaded into the binding enough to keep them from falling out. Into a shoe box and done.

The shop idea is fine, but tinkering with gear is half the fun isn't it? Next thing you'll be searching on how to freehand a mount....

Check this indemnified list to see if you want to bother at all.