Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Squaw Valley FWQT

This may have been covered in the Taos thread, I'm not sure
    The Tram Face Golden Ticket in Squaw Valley USA, 20-22 February, sister event to the Nissan Tram Face – Squaw Valley USA will take place on “the Light Tower Face”. Following this new Freeride World Qualifier event, the American stage of the Freeride World Tour will take place a few days later (27 February-5 March) on the Tram Face, a mythical face that has never been open for freeride until now. The Tram Face Golden Ticket will allow young talented Americans to go for their spot to compete against the world’s best since the top three in each category (a total of 12 athletes) will automatically qualify for the Nissan Tram Face!

Has any one on here ever skid the Tram Face? It looks absolutely insane.

Any one on here entering the competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Metatron View Post

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Nope, no one at all. Nobody. Nary a soul.

What face? That thing can't be skied.
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

whoa. i'm definitely not going to try to enter anything but i'm definitely going to watch. big tram face pic.
    Last edited by gonzo; 12-16-2008 at 08:12 PM.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Nope, no one at all. Nobody. Nary a soul.
    Imma gonna miss seeing your tracks this year riding up first tram after after a big dump. No squaw pass for me.

how do you sign up for said Golden Ticket Qualifier? I would like a shot!!

I'm strongly considering going to this instead of the Butte stop of the IFSA world tour.
    One because of the chance, two because its so much easier to get to for me.

Alka...perhaps you have an inside email to reserve a spot?

Three new events have now been certified as Freeride World Qualifiers (FWQ), in Chamonix (FRA), Taos, (USA) and Squaw Valley USA. These events join eight other competitions previously announced making the total number of qualifier events 11 for the Freeride World Tour 2009 in Europe and in the United States.

The Freeride de Chamonix (FRA), 15-19 February, will take place in the amazing ‘Pentes de l’Hôtel’ in the Brevent ski area facing the spectacular Mont Blanc. Chamonix is returning to their tradition of major freeride competitions which allows for a FWQ in the French Alps!
    Info at: www.freeridechamonix.com

The Tram Face Golden Ticket in Squaw Valley USA, 20-22 February, sister event to the Nissan Tram Face – Squaw Valley USA will take place on “the Light Tower Face”. Following this new Freeride World Qualifier event, the American stage of the Freeride World Tour will take place a few days later (27 February-5 March) on the Tram Face, a mythical face that has never been open for freeride until now. The Tram Face Golden Ticket will allow young talented Americans to go for their spot to compete against the world’s best since the top three in each category (a total of 12 athletes) will automatically qualify for the Nissan Tram Face!
    Event Contact: rlindquist at cruxevents dot com

The Salomon Extreme Freeride Championships in Taos, New Mexico (USA), 4-7 March, completes this great series of events selected in the US as a Freeride World Qualifier, allowing the best to qualify for the Freeride World Tour 2010 without coming to compete in Europe.
    Info at: www.skitaos.org/freeride

Don't ask people to sack up to skiing OB terrain on a public forum.

Plus, since most of the mags replying here only do the ballet doubles and other assorted ski dancing routines, I'll prolly have to sack up myself and enter the qualifiers on my one good leg.

Apparently it has been done under only the light of a full moon while ski patrol sleeps.

Quote Originally Posted by packedpow View Post
    Apparently it has been done under only the light of a full moon while ski patrol sleeps.
    Hey! You don't get to make fun of me, you JONG... who doesn't even live in Tahoe.
    Last edited by Metatron; 12-17-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Don't ask people to sack up to skiing OB terrain on a public forum.

Plus, since most of the mags replying here only do the ballet doubles and other assorted ski dancing routines, I'll prolly have to sack up myself and enter the qualifiers on my one good leg.
    Dude, don't you remember you're permanently barred from competition due to the triple lindy gone wrong that killed Billy?

any one sign up for this yet? Anyone know how to sign up yet?

tboz -- If you haven't already, you should email the contact listed for the Golden Ticket comp. It's in Alka's post above...

I haven't been to squaw yet this year....but does Tram Face even have any snow on it? With this dry January, how bony is it? Is there a danger of the comp being postponed or cancelled?
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

I read in the Squaw Valley Times yesterday that competitors will not be allowed to drop tram chute, sylvesters, etc but will be confined to skiers left of the tram face - Lemming Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    tboz -- If you haven't already, you should email the contact listed for the Golden Ticket comp. It's in Alka's post above...

I haven't been to squaw yet this year....but does Tram Face even have any snow on it? With this dry January, how bony is it? Is there a danger of the comp being postponed or cancelled?
    yes there is snow and the coverage doesn't look bad. That is not to say that it isn't gnarly, and more snow will be good but I don't think it'll take the teeth off that area.
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

i thought i heard the qualifier was cancelled? work with a guy who wanted to enter and he told me someone told him it was icksnayed. but then again, this isnt first hand info. anyone else hear?

Here's a pic from 01/17/09:

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Here's a pic from 01/17/09:

I'm pretty sure the comp terrain does NOT include the aforementioned lines under the tower - the word on teh street is that it's only the shoulder and face (far right side and out of frame on above photo). Can anyone confirm?

Lane - I think Cody mentioned something along those lines too...that the comp would be more on the shoulder to lookers right of the main tram face. I'm sure he could confirm (although he's probably in Sochi right now I think)
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Looking very boney on the tram face, but still good enough for a comp the snow is probobly breakable crust with some winter and spring snow all mixed in. I think the comp will still go off but if we don't get more snow it will not be as radgnar as it could be. I also heard if conditions were good enough the tram chute would be in bounds.

As far a the qualifier, I have hear no official word that it would be axed but I have repeatedly contacted the person who alka posted and he has just said stay tuned for more info or check the freerideworld tour site (which is useless).
    Either way I am not signed up and I was wondering if anyone else is or is going to?

I heard from several people today (though nothing first-hand) that the qualifier is canceled. Something about it being too busy of a week to hold the comp. It didn't sound like a valid argument, and I'm still hoping that it is false info.