Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Misdrilled Gotamas...ARGH!!!!

so i found a terrific deal on a pair of 08-09 gots at 183cm as well as rossi axial120s to go with em. being that this was my first pair of new sticks i decided to take them to the shop to be mounted by a "professional."

1 week later i came back to pick them up and on checkout one of the techs comes out to inform me that they are knocking 50% off the price due to a misdrilled ski that was filled.

Of course i was at a loss for words when i found out i just paid someone else to take his sweet time screwing up my brand new, high-end setup ...but i managed to tell him that at the very least he ought to throw in a pair of insoles that i was looking at as a gesture of good will for the screwup.

as the last week or two has gone by, however, i've been getting increasingly peeved about what happened. they have not yet seen snow but i have to wonder about the effects of a single misdrilled/filled ski. they dont carry the gotamas or axial120s in stock there so an exchange is out of the question...should i just let it go or pursue some other form of compensation?
    Last edited by asianguy63; 12-13-2008 at 06:53 PM.

OK - they're knocking 50% off the price of the mount? Wow - that's like going in for an apendectomy, winding up with a sex change and having the hospital tell you you only have to pay for half the cost of the surgery.

I think they owe you a bit more than a 50% break on fucking up your ski.

At least they told you. This happened to me and I did not find out until I pulled the bindings off the skis to sell them.

Still, $15 off is more of a kick in the teeth than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLineSeeker View Post
    $15 off is more of a kick in the teeth than anything.
    This happened to one of the techs a few years ago. We didnt refund them half of the mounting charge(cause its straight bs). Instead we went out of our way to order a new set of skis for the person, luckily we carried the brand, mounted the new sticks up for him and kept his misdrilled skis and sold them at cost.

Seemed to have worked out well for the dude. It was the least we could do,.. but I guess you could do less. Clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLineSeeker View Post
    At least they told you. This happened to me and I did not find out until I pulled the bindings off the skis to sell them.

Still, $15 off is more of a kick in the teeth than anything.
    cost of mount was $80, i paid 40. i think i was still in shock as i was handing over my card...

Quote Originally Posted by asianguy63 View Post
    cost of mount was $80, i paid 40. i think i was still in shock as i was handing over my card...
    $80 for a mount? You got double hosed, that's fucking highway robbery. If the shop doesn't carry your skis, that's no excuse to not replace them. They fuck up mine, and they'll buy them from another shop if they have to, or give me cash value.

What shop was it?
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Explosion View Post
    $80 for a mount? You got double hosed, that's fucking highway robbery. If the shop doesn't carry your skis, that's no excuse to not replace them. They fuck up mine, and they'll buy them from another shop if they have to, or give me cash value.

What shop was it?

http://worldcupskiandcycle.com/

cost of mount was $80, i paid 40.
    Holy shit is that messed up.

Asian Guy

Ok you are being taken adantage of. First 80 for a mount is very high. Second they should not even be thinking of charging you for the mount. It probably wont effect the ski at all but will decrease the value by around 100 bucks if you try to resell them. The fact that they tried to charge you what in reality is full price is unbelievable. Id go back and tell them after rethinking the siduation that you were not treated fairly. If the balk release the name of the shop to the masses.
    Deeppo

Quote Originally Posted by deeppo View Post
    Ok you are being taken adantage of. First 80 for a mount is very high. Second they should not even be thinking of charging you for the mount. It probably wont effect the ski at all but will decrease the value by around 100 bucks if you try to resell them. The fact that they tried to charge you what in reality is full price is unbelievable. Id go back and tell them after rethinking the siduation that you were not treated fairly. If the balk release the name of the shop to the masses.
    Deeppo
    He already gave the link above. Really shady shit going on here, the shop needs to make this right, and at this point I think that's new skis.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Reason #12324721 to find a good tech and only have them do your skis instead of random stoners at the shop.

it's been a few weeks since the "operation" but after seeing some threads about this sorta thing surface it just started to piss me off all over again...given that the footbeds (superfeet) they gave me are already cut and in boots, i wonder if/how i should go about requesting compensation
    maybe an email for starters
    Last edited by asianguy63; 12-13-2008 at 07:14 PM.

you know a place sucks when they charge that much, but really, you cant keep going back asking for more. you should have had the balls to deal with it when you picked up your skis, or at least when you went back. They gave you what you asked for for compensation. Deal with the fact you were a pussy, you had your shot. this is like if you put down a bid a silent auction, then after you won decding that you paid to much and want to change you bid.

Find a good tech who will do it right, and not rip you off.
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

i still can't get over 80 bucks for a mount. and then you paid $40 to have them devalue your brand new sticks. they must be the only ski shop in the area at all to get away with prices and customer service like that.

N41'25,71 W70'40,71 or my mobile ski chalet
    if you didn't sigh something like (i except foot beds in consideration for your shop fucking up my skies)
    bring the skies to the shop when the manager is there and tell him you want a new pair of skies mounted right because thats what you paid them to do, not damage your property. and if they bring up the foot beds tell them that should be for the inconvenience put offer to pay for them even though they had the gall to ask you to pay them to send you home with damaged property. they charged you to do it right and did not; now they should make it right. then say "At least thats what my dads attorney said you should do" .

that said: I excepted a promissory note to replace at no charge a pair of skies that had the base dimpled when the shop mounted them. I might get 2 more base grinds before there will be a hole in the base and then its back for the new pair. I got the skies and clamps from the shop and paid cash.
    can't spell don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Reason #12324721 to find a good tech and only have them do your skis instead of random stoners at the shop.
    Yea, I prefer to know the stoner really well.

For $80 you can buy a 3.5x9 bit, a pozi-drive #3, two C clamps and some plastic to make a jig with and still have a little left over for weed. Really, it blows my mind that anybody would pay a shop to do something that's really pretty easy, let alone pay them $80. $80 is just unreal, even if they do a perfect job and it's some really weird ski that they have to free-hand.

I'm not surpised some shops have the balls to charge $80 for a mount. Last season I could get skis mounted for $40, recently after calling around almost every shop is charging $50-60. $80 isn't far behind. The economy is tough and small shops have to keep with online retailers to make to cash.

I've even been through some shops that have th audacity to charge $40 to mount a pair of system skis. $40 to slide and click a pair of bindings into place. And that's after you've paid $900 for the setup.

Its wrong enough that they ripped you off a fucked up mount, I'd march back in there and demand new skis. You haven't blown your chance. Sack up and go back there pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    that's like going in for an apendectomy, winding up with a sex change and having the hospital tell you you only have to pay for half the cost of the surgery.
    that's funny

cost of mount was $80, i paid 40.
    that's bullshit. You should not have paid them a nickel, and you still should/could demand that they get you new skis. 'They broke 'em, they bought 'em.'

First off it sucks they messed up your mount.
    Second it sucks they charge $80 to mount them, but they offered you 50% off which sucks and is an insult.
    That's me sympathizing with you and people say it should make what comes next make you feel better about it.

You already negotiated with them what you felt was fair for their mistake you stated "at the very least he ought to throw in a pair of insoles that i was looking at as a gesture of good will for the screwup." It sounds like they did that for you. It is a shame that you suck at negotiating, but how many times can someone go back and keep asking for further compensation. Mark it up as a lesson learned and fortunately you now have this site, experience and a hopefully, knowledge of the search function to be better prepared in the future.

Meh. The OP agreed to pay 80 freakin' dollars to let somebody drill his sticks so he obviously likes getting screwed over. He should just go back in there and give them the extra 40 and apologize for not being more of a pushover.

$80 Mount= Un fucking real.

BSS Guest
    mind = blown

(this whole thread)

being that this was my first pair of new sticks...
    Dude didn't know, and he got burned. You (Ash) don't need to shit on him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    For $80 you can buy a 3.5x9 bit, a pozi-drive #3, two C clamps and some plastic to make a jig with and still have a little left over for weed. Really, it blows my mind that anybody would pay a shop to do something that's really pretty easy, let alone pay them $80. $80 is just unreal, even if they do a perfect job and it's some really weird ski that they have to free-hand.
    honestly if it wasn't my very first pair of new skis - and respectable ones at that - i wouldve given it a shot. i expected that paying a "professional" to do them, at a price that i now know is completely obscene, shouldve been relatively hassle-free. i guess i learned my lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by mwthomsen View Post
    First off it sucks they messed up your mount.
    Second it sucks they charge $80 to mount them, but they offered you 50% off which sucks and is an insult.
    That's me sympathizing with you and people say it should make what comes next make you feel better about it.

You already negotiated with them what you felt was fair for their mistake you stated "at the very least he ought to throw in a pair of insoles that i was looking at as a gesture of good will for the screwup." It sounds like they did that for you. It is a shame that you suck at negotiating, but how many times can someone go back and keep asking for further compensation. Mark it up as a lesson learned and fortunately you now have this site, experience and a hopefully, knowledge of the search function to be better prepared in the future.
    yah i figured that unless i ski them and find theres significant performance-related issues related to the extra holes, i cant say much anymore. like i said, i think i was more stunned into silence than anything else. you live, you learn.