Page 81 of 190 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 4750
    Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Stuart Mountain has an accumulation of 36 inches. The last time there was that much snow this time of year, Snowbowl was open top to bottom on opening day.

Woot woot!
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

It was touchy out there today in the Bitterroots. Sun came out a bit after 1 and the temp was heating up. Saw some larger point releases and even set off a small one myself. Be careful out there this holiday weekend!

I can't say I'm surprised it's releasing out there, it got really cold after that first big snow, so there is probably a weak sugary layer under this new wet stuff, or so it occurs to me.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

big temp swings over last month/2

on + side this is wet bond-happy snow that just fell, but it fell onto...?

http://www.missoulaavalanche.org/201...date-for-1126/

Dangerous snowpack conditions.

Western Montana is getting slammed by heavy mountain snowfall and high ridge top winds.

We’ve received several good reports from a variety of locations in the Bitterroot and Rattlesnake mountains all of which describe:

a weak snowpack structure
    heavy new snowfall on top of weak layers of facets
    cracking and collapsing of the snowpack
    high winds
    avalanches on small test slopes and wind loaded terrain

These conditions are particularly dangerous with an upside down profile and a thick slab sitting on the facets that formed during the cold dry weather earlier this month. Early season avalanches tend to release at the facets close to the ground increasing the likelihood of getting dragged through rocks and stumps if you get caught.

Winter storm watches and warnings are in effect today with clearing conditions for Thanksgiving. We can expect continued snow after Thanksgiving with a return to much colder weather later this weekend.

The best travel advice we can give is to avoid the higher elevation avalanche terrain and give it a chance to strengthen. Keep in mind that it may take more than just a few days before you can trust this weak structure.

This is Steve Karkanen with this early season update from the West Central Montana Avalanche Center issued on November 26, 2014. We begin issuing regular advisories with danger ratings on December 12.

Yep, just what I figured. Thanks for posting it.

The Montana Backcountry Alliance is hosting a slide show and talk by Luc Mehl on Wednesday, Dec. 17, at 7 p.m. at the Trailhead. This is a free event but donations are requested.

Mehl is a certified badass; his talk will be The Big Three: Traversing the Three Tallest Peaks in North America.

For more information see the MBA Facebook page or email montanabackcountry@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    The Montana Backcountry Alliance is hosting a slide show and talk by Luc Mehl on Wednesday, Dec. 17, at 7 p.m. at the Trailhead. This is a free event but donations are requested.

Mehl is a certified badass; his talk will be The Big Three: Traversing the Three Tallest Peaks in North America.

For more information see the MBA Facebook page or email montanabackcountry@gmail.com
    Do you know where the donation $$ goes?
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

I went up to Hoodoo today. Got out of the car and prepped the pack and everything. Pulling the skis out of the back and a thought strikes me, where are the skins? "They are back home hanging up where you left them to dry the other day. Fuuuuuck." The snow on the road was certainly nice, too bad I didn't get to partake in any skiing.

DOH!

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    Do you know where the donation $$ goes?
    Some/most of it will go to buy Luc Mehl dinner, since he is donating his time for this. Montana Backcountry Alliance has a small annual budget which is mostly used for policy activities and things like PO box, stamps, etc. The group is helping fund the plowing of Hyalite Canyon and is looking at a similar effort to help fund plowing a winter trailhead in the Bitterroot, among other things.

Anyone on here do sled accessed skiing/boarding? I have a sled but no BC partners that also have sleds, just a few touring partners.

Try pming MT Slackcountry. Although, idk if he posts here anymore, and he likes to be pretty anonymous when he does.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Some/most of it will go to buy Luc Mehl dinner, since he is donating his time for this. Montana Backcountry Alliance has a small annual budget which is mostly used for policy activities and things like PO box, stamps, etc. The group is helping fund the plowing of Hyalite Canyon and is looking at a similar effort to help fund plowing a winter trailhead in the Bitterroot, among other things.
    Strange, I thought they were into the non-motorized aspects of winter recreation. Funny group they are.

The group is helping fund the plowing of Hyalite Canyon and is looking at a similar effort to help fund plowing a winter trailhead in the Bitterroot, among other things.
    That's a pretty cool idea. How much does that plowing typically cost?

I think the full bill for Hyalite is $24,000.

For plowing the road to the reservoir and grooming some of the trails all winter?
    That seems cheap
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

I think the full bill for Hyalite is $24,000.
    The flat skin around the reservoir is a great warm-up for the day. Why do the quiet winter recreation people want better road access, especially via more motors at work so they can get their collective EVST stoke on?? I thought they were hardier folks than that, I mean look at all the Carhartt they wear in town and at Chux!

The flat skin around the reservoir is a great warm-up for the day. Why do the quiet winter recreation people want better road access, especially via more motors at work so they can get their collective EVST stoke on?? I thought they were hardier folks than that, I mean look at all the Carhartt they wear in town and at Chux!
    I'm not sure if that includes grooming -- it may be just plowing. I am also not sure if the forest is contributing something above that. Either way, Hyalite plowing was/is a major community effort.

Good point, telly. MBA is not anti-snowmobile; the newest board member owns one. The group is pro-backcountry use, however, and plowed roads equal better access to skiing.

What would be the best road to plow in the Bitterroots? Gash stays pretty accessible most of the year, so what would improve on that?

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    What would be the best road to plow in the Bitterroots? Gash stays pretty accessible most of the year, so what would improve on that?
    Most are gated at some point, if not all? So, in most cases, you can plow a mile or two and then encounter a gate. What is funny is that most don't use roads to lessen the slog, you use topographic features to do that. It would depend on why the road is gated and if recreation could trump it.

MBA musta changed their minds RE: motorized use?
    I do not believe more plowed roads equal better BC access as a rule. Maybe easier but not always better. It just takes a little time and exploration to figure it out, you surely do not need to just plow to make things better. I have not been to all of the BC opportunities in the B-roots, not even close and the ones I have been to would provide many years of skiing provided I pushed a little further or followed a different ridge, etc.

Most are gated at some point, if not all?
    Most seem to be. St. Mary's isn't gated though I thought? It just impassable after the season moves on right? What about the west side and Elk Meadows Road? Does the eastern trailhead to Trapper Peak get gated?

I was checking the snowtel site on Stuart Mountain, when I saw this link in the margin, hmmm, never saw that before.

Drive safe, folks, it's icy out there.
    Anyone else do a silly photo for their pass at the SOS fair? teehee.
    Not intentionally, but the photo looks like I was caught by surprise. It's also washed out and blurry, somewhat ghostly in appearance.

Good point, telly. MBA is not anti-snowmobile; the newest board member owns one. The group is pro-backcountry use, however, and plowed roads equal better access to skiing.
    gosh, I can't fathom how people "accessed the backcountry" before your heroes boosted more plowing of roads

shouldn't they just be paved, and have heating elements installed? or how about a train from Missoula to each keen trailhead?

wait, can't you just get someone to drop you off at the top of the hill with a helicopter? I swear it all sounds like too much work.

we're lucky you've moved here with your Urban Logistics Brilliance and your Foresight for Modernization of the Backward West